Author Topic: night burping...your technique please!  (Read 2236 times)

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 21, 2006, 18:47:48 pm »
I find that when my 7 wk old DD wakes for a night feed that she gets too stimulated from burping and it takes a while to resettle her. Do I have to unswaddle her to burp her? How do I avoid stimulating her so much? Thanks!  :)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: night burping...your technique please!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 20:07:34 pm »
i used to leave dd swaddled and just rubbed her left side up and down - most likely that always did the trick :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 22:36:08 pm »
Thanks, I will try that!

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 23:39:10 pm »
good luck :)

oh and if it is still having a hard time coming up you may want to try leaning lo forward a bit or slowly changing postition some to get it moving around a bit so it will come up easier ;)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 04:47:00 am »
Hi there. I also had problems with this as Gage was very hard to burp. I used Dr. Brown's bottles (yopu can get them at Walmart) that helped tremendously with the consumpion of air and I would bounce him a bit holding him upright in his swaddle. This jiggling was just a modified version of sitting him on my knee and bouncing him which worked during the day. Also, I confess to not burping if he drank under 5oz :-[.

Teezee, I love the new pic :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 04:49:58 am by gage's mom »

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 15:37:17 pm »
thanks! your lo's pic is gorgeous!! love the smile!!!

so ATCgirly - how'd last night go??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 14:44:01 pm »
Teezee,
 Thanks for asking! Horrible, if I must say so myself. The past two nights, I could not get her to sleep until after 9PM!! This has a lot to do with my paci issue. She has stated spitting it out, waking up, and wanting it back to sleep. We are both exhausted. Not only are the nights an issue. Naps are the same darn problem now, not that she ever took good naps to begin with. She is only 8 weeks old and can't use her little thumbs or control her arms just yet. I just don't know what to do. Oh, she is also having the 5AM wake up problem. I am at my wits end. It doesn't help that I am dealing with PPD. I'm sick of crying, miss my hubby, and just don't know how to help my sweet little punkin'.  :'(

Offline teezee

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 15:28:15 pm »
oh {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}} sweetie!!

where is dh? is there someone else than can come over and give you a hand in the meantime??

if you would like to post lo's routine and answer the questions at the following link we can take a closer look for you :)

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54625.0

just know although it seems like forever now, it does get better...and with time you hardly remember how hard those first few months really are..
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 17:06:54 pm »
Tawnya,
  Thanks for the hugs. I need it more than you know. My DH is training in VA right now. He comes home Monday, thank the good Lord, but only for 6 weeks, then he will be gone two months, home a month, then gone for 5 months. I really, really wish I had some help, but my friends have thier own families and our families live far away. I will answer the questions as best I can, but she is kinda all over the place.
How old is your child?   8 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? uh, it's something like this.
   E - 6AM
   A - usually no more than an hour, but lately since she isn't sleeping just a feed, change, then beddy
   S - I wish it were 2 hours
   EAS are the same every 3 hours til 6PM where we do the wind down routine and bed
 The past few nights she hasn't been going to sleep until 9-10PM because of that darn paci issue. These past two nights, I have fed her at 8, then she will wake at around 2AM and that 5AM waking where she is just fusses a little. At this waking, I give her the paci and wait til 6AM to get her up.
What’s nap routine?
  I take her to her room, turn on the lullabye, swaddle, and we lay on the twin bed which is in her room for a few minutes and she gets a bit drowsy, then it is off to bed.
How long are naps?
  Anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours (very rarely)
What's bedtime routine? Bottle, bath, massage, swaddle, lullaby Time? 6:30PM
Do you bottle or breastfed??Bottle
How much? or how long? 3-5 ounces depending on how hungry she is
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night? 1-2
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? She crys when she wakes. She is up anywhere from 30 min to 1.5 hours just depending on if I can get her to settle
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Fussing and/or crying is the norm, but if left it turns into mantra.
What have you tried to settle?? Shhing/patting, rocking, rubbing head
What do you do for A time and how long is it? I let her have tummy time, read, sing, talk, sit in bouncy seat, or just make funny faces.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Not that I am aware
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) Yes, per docs request. She has a bit of reflux. I give her four-five tablespoons daily
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Yes, paci
Do they have a lovie?no

Oh, it HAS to get better! I have to go back to work at the end of October, I know it's a while, and something has to give! I'm stressing over finding childcare as well. YIPES!

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 18:08:07 pm »
Oh atcgirly, if I could I would come to your house right now. I totally know how you feel as I was in a very similar place. Those first 3 mths or so are VERY VERY hard! I was at my whits end too and swore I would never have anymore children. But let me tell you 9.5 mths later I cant wait to have another one...... well until I read posts from brand new moms. Anyway hun, this will pass. I know it seems like forever, but when I looked back at my logs Gage was "normal" after about 3mths. Just hang in there and just do your best to keep on routine. If your lo doesnt sleep or do whatever the textbook says just roll with the punches. It is so important to relax and tell yourself I am just going to do the best I can and today is a new day.

How much reflux does your lo have? Intoducing cereal at this age could be giving big time tummy issues. This may be a problem. Gage had a bit of reflux so he was on medication. This medication (zantac) was so mild that the Dr. said you couldnt even overdose on the stuff. This may be a better route for your lo. Have you also tried raising on end of the crib with books? What do you think?

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 18:58:41 pm »
Yes, each day is a new day. It's bad to say, but I look forward to each day's end. We really won't more children, but wow does this ever make me think twice. The hubby would freak if he knew I feel that way, but he just doesn't understand. Not to say that he is a bad hubby! He is by far the best, most caring, loving, and sensitive man I have ever met. He loves Abby and myself more than life! I thought the cereal thing could give her tummy issues as well, but I'm just going with the docs orders. Yeah, raising the crib end is on my list. In fact, I'm going to do that in just a few minutes. Also, I have posted on the Reflux board some other things my little one has been doing. If you get a chance to read it, let me know what you think. It is titles, "a touch of reflux?". Thanks so much!

Offline teezee

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 04:06:57 am »
ok well first off - my lo had silent reflux and at 4 months my dr advised me to start with cereal which was the biggest mistake i had ever made with my lo...if they have reflux - most times it is b/c the digestive tract is immature and if that is the case how are they supposed to be able to digest something even more complex than bm or formula?? it caused HUGE gas/constipation issues with my lo and i didn't realize that it was the culprit for quite some time as it didn't really start affecting her til 10 days later. if lo is uncomfortable she most def won't be sleeping and from what it sounds like lo is in pain - sounds eerily familiar to what my lo and i went through. it can't hurt to try and stop for a week or so and see if you see any improvements??! my lo is also STILL on zantac and it is wonderful and as pp said, very gentle. my lo is over a yr and still can't have cereal as she just cannot digest the grains..so imagine what her little belly was going through at 4 months if she still can't handle it now... :-\  dr's try their best but are not ALWAYS right -w ho is? you are with your lo all the time and you know that something is wrong - if lo is up this much than the cereal obviously isn't helping...i would talk to the dr about trying some zantac..and if you do get lo on it - it does take a bit of time for it to kick in totally but you will see small improvements with some regression also..but still improvements...and it is very very weight sensitive so you want to up the dosage every time you notice reflux getting bad again..or when lo gains a lb or two. if this dr doesn't want to prescribe it i would see someone else - i hand to go through a large handful of dr's before i took dd to emerg and they heard her scream for 5 hrs straight and gave us zantac - the other dr's brushed it off like i was a paranoid first time mom..pretty young and i didn't kow what i was talking about - ummm hello - my daughter is in PAIN - i think i would be a better judge of that than them ... who kept chalking it up to colic that would 'pass' wow if i listened to them i would still have a screaming/non sleeping/overtired/miserable baby..which would = a screaming/non sleeping/overtired/miserable mommy after all this time  :o :o sorry to ramble on with my little story but i just want you to know that you are right abuot your lo - do what you think is right! that mommy's intuition is something else if you just trust it :)

i do know how hard it is with a refluxer to have a routine - just do the best you can - but most importantly - what you are doing now keep lo comfortable all you can! i was the queen of accidental parenting..let lo sleep with me, on me, rocked to sleep..anything to keep her comfortable and not crying as that just makes reflux worse...there are many tips you can try (and most really helped us) in the meantimes from feeding more upright, keeping her upright after feedings for half hr or so..lots of things that can help - but if it is as bad as i suspect it is - you should really stress to the dr that it is THAT bad kwim?

you are doing a wonderful job! considering the circumstances your routine looks fab!! ihave to say i applaud your strength and determination..maybe you want to get away for a few days and go see family if that is possible??! i didn't have someone there all the time (even most of the time as dh worked three diff jobs at that time..) helping me and i ran to my mom for help...so many nights i would finally get her to sleep and just sit on the balcony and cry and cry..and it didn't help that i had a brother that would tell my 'baby's cry - get used to it you just have ppd..' yeah THAT must have been it..maybe it made it's way to my lo too...anyway, just chattering again..but hats off to you - you are a strong woman sweetie! if it is that bad don't hesitate - take lo to the hospital - something - anything to give you and her some sanity..i wish i could come help you!! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG FAT HUGS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline teezee

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 04:20:40 am »
btw i too thought my lo had a paci addiction...it wasn't she was just in pain and sucking helped her soothe herself and yes she often spit it out too just to want it right back.

another thought maybe you want to veer from easy for the time being and maybe do something like eaesy just try to keep lo from feeding to sleep keep her up a few minutes after that feeding by changing her diaper or something. many refluxers like to eat as it is temporarily soothing..but in the long run takng in large amounts of milk will make their reflux worse..smaller meals with less in the belly is more ideal right now.

even one tspn is alot for a lo that age - more than one is prob too much for a lo with our without reflux for that age. i can imagine what it is prob doing to her poor belly...does she suffer from constipation? the cereal will give you gas problems also..

i don't want to sound preachy and sorry if i am coming across that way - i have soo been there - done that and hate to see anyone listen to advice that doesn't necessarily work for their lo. i too left my lo on cereal way longer than i should have b/c the dr recommended it - i took the word as though it were the bible..
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline ATCgirly

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 17:32:29 pm »
Wow, Tawnya. It sounds like your poor daughter has had a horrible time! I'm so sorry! Glad to know that the meds are helping her. As for the rice cereal, as of yesterday morning, no more. Her belly just churns and I can not see how giving it to her could help at all. Constipation is not an issue right now. It was, but only for a few days. Friday, I am taking her back to the doc for her 2 month check up. I am going to mention all these symptoms that I have told you about. When I took her a week or so ago and he "prescribed" rice cereal, I didn't mention her gulping nor the gassiness. In all honesty, I just thought it was part of being a baby. Guess not. Wanna here some good news? (Lord knows that I need it) Well, this morning for her first two naps, I just put her in the crib with her paci, gave her a kiss, left, and she grunted for a little while and went right to sleep with no fussing! I'm not sure what miracle has happened. It probably won't happen again...LOL Go figure, I'm not so lucky this time around. She's awake. Gotta go help her out. Catch up soon! Thanks for everything. Keep in touch!

Offline teezee

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 17:54:06 pm »
lol - figures! but congrats on her going down so well :)

good luck at the dr's...and keep strong!

it was a hard time with my lo - horrible i felt so bad for her...and me....but even though i recall it all - and it felt like it woudl never end at the time - no it's feels like it was a blink of an eye. you can do this - keep firm with the dr and don't let him brush it off. i will be gone for about a week but will be checking in on you here when i get back so keep us all updated.

good luck and some extra {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}} for next wk when i am not around.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005