Author Topic: Crayon fun  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Crayon fun
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:26:04 am »
How did you introduce crayons to your LO?

My 15 mos old seems only interested in putting the crayon in her mouth!  :-\ 

I've tried to demonstrate how to write/draw/scribble with it, how to properly hold it. I've even put the crayon in her hand and tried to guide her hand in making a line on the paper. She just doesn't really get it.

Another thing she does is hold it with the tip up, instead of down... (it's exactly the way she would grab the handle of a spoon with the hand facing dowwards instead of upwards) . There was one time when she held the crayon this way and angled her hand downwards so the tip scraped against the paper. Today she held the crayon in her usual tip-up fashion, and rubbed the other flat end on the paper.

How do you teach your LO to draw only on the paper and not off the paper (onto the table, etc). I keep having to clean the table.  :(

And how do you get your LO to hold onto the paper so it stays steady while she draws? If I don't hold on to the paper, it will just shift as DD rubs her crayon or hand against it.

I'm just not exactly sure how this writing/drawing thing is supposed to work.  ::)

(Edited to change DH to DD; I must have been too tired last night to notice my booboo)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 15:56:34 pm by Marisa's Mom »
Marie

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
Re: Crayon fun
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:27:15 am »
I totally sympathise!

It took ages before Ciara got the hang of crayons - she would ALWAYS eat them! 

We used pencils and felt pens as for some reason, she didn't try to gum them. 

I use a big scribble pad for drawing on which is heavy so it doesn't move everywhere.  We used to let Ciara draw at her own little table so that it didn't matter if the pens went everywhere.  As soon as us mums being fussing around it ruins the fun for everyone!  :P

If I remember rightly, Ciara enjoyed paints much better at this age as she could use her fingers, get messy and have instant gratification in terms of end result!  The magic painting books are really good too - the ones that you just brush water onto.  That doesn't require such manual dexterity.

Good luck x
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline N Lou

• Showing Appreciation 64
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:35:33 am »
Ds had trouble with crayons at this age too, i think they require a certain amount of pressure to actually produce anything and ds just couldn't press hard enough.

We also went onto felt tip pens, the super washable kind.  We got Crayola and they're designed for kiddies from 12months as they only take warm water to wash off and they don't stain clothing.  In fact we just used to use a baby wet wipe and it came off skin.

I stick the paper to the table with sticky/masking tape so it doesn't move and i also put down as many sheets of paper as possible so less goes on the table.  Other than that, just keep wiping the table when she goes off the paper and keep reminding her that we only draw on paper.

Don't worry, she'll get the hang of it! ;D
Nina Lou

Offline ~Kellie~

• Mummy~Moo~Ma
  • Showing Appreciation 105
  • Mummy's Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:52:32 am »
We started using crayons in April with DD when she was about 15 months.
She too put them into her mouth to "taste" them at first but not so much
anymore.  She is always supervised with them though and she usually lasts between
5-10 mins before she gets bored.

We just got her a little table and chairs just for her colouring because she was
trying to colour in my coffee table! Monkey!

Kellie x

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 16:03:58 pm »
If I remember rightly, Ciara enjoyed paints much better at this age as she could use her fingers, get messy and have instant gratification in terms of end result!  The magic painting books are really good too - the ones that you just brush water onto.  That doesn't require such manual dexterity.

I've never heard of magic painting books. I wonder if they have these in the US.

As for paints ... isn't that more messy than crayons? They sound messy to me.  :-\  DD likes to touch everything, including herself, so I can already imagine paint on her face as she rubs her eyes/face/etc, paint on her clothes, paint on the table/carpet, paint on her toys, etc.. 

How did you introduce paints while trying to keep most things relatively "clean"?

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 16:06:41 pm »
We also went onto felt tip pens, the super washable kind.  We got Crayola and they're designed for kiddies from 12months as they only take warm water to wash off and they don't stain clothing.  In fact we just used to use a baby wet wipe and it came off skin.

Ah... you are right about having to apply pressure with the crayon. That was exactly the problem DD was having. I will go seek out washable felt tip pens for her next time I swing by Target or something.
Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 16:09:54 pm »
We just got her a little table and chairs just for her colouring because she was
trying to colour in my coffee table! Monkey!

We've been thinking about getting DD her own little table & chair. Right now she's drawing on our coffee table. Poor coffee table, it has so many pock marks & scratches from her banging her blocks & other toys on the surface. And there were times when she was "stabbing" the table with the tip of a ball point pen, leaving deep hole marks on it. Sigh... we're definitely not getting any new (adult) furniture until she's all grown up and moved out of the house...  ;D

Marie

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 16:41:14 pm »
Quote (selected)
I've never heard of magic painting books. I wonder if they have these in the US.

As for paints ... isn't that more messy than crayons? They sound messy to me.  :-\  DD likes to touch everything, including herself, so I can already imagine paint on her face as she rubs her eyes/face/etc, paint on her clothes, paint on the table/carpet, paint on her toys, etc.. 

How did you introduce paints while trying to keep most things relatively "clean"?

Natalie is also at the "crayons are yummy" stage but once in a while she'll make a mark by chance and get fascinated with that process for a while. Watching Josie and me do it helps too, although it's slow going at the moment.

As for HOW we introduced paints, I think almost all this stuff we introduced outside with Josie. We have a Little Tykes easel that was donated to us and that helps keep the drawing mess contained. Painting, especially finger painting, was done on the easel or on a plastic tablecloth on the grass or the patio (you can get BIG sheets of plastic tablecloth material cheap at Hancock Fabrics, BTW :)), and we have a big enough one that we can use it on the kitchen floor (the idiots who built this house put HARDWOOD in the kitchen and dining room ::)) when the weather is too wet or cold outside.

Yesterday I took a big roll of paper and unrolled a few feet in the backyard and Josie and her friend stripped down to their undies and finger-painted - and FOOT-painted too! Easy to hose them down and towel off w/old towels afterward, plus we had the little wading pool for more rinsing. :) Also fun to paint each other! Oh, and Target sells body art gel markers that Josie has had fun using on her AND on me! :)

Oh, and the magic paint books? Try A.C. Moore. They have GOBS and GOBS of kids' art and craft projects, some of which are actually age-appropriate (unlike the paint-by-number my mom got Josie that turned out to need the colors MIXED for over half the space, plus I'm not big on p-b-#'s anyway, not open-ended enough to suit me :)). ACMoore also has these magic paint books that work with one of their markers; Josie has two of the winnie-the-Pooh books. They're also not too open-ended, but they DO keep her busy in the car w/o any mess.

Oh, and you may want to try Color Wonder products (Crayola makes these). We have the markers, and you can get books and also just plain sheets. The idea is that the markers make no color anywhere except the Color Wonder paper, which has a prepared surface so the color even stays inside the lines. The kid DOES at least pick the color(s), though, and I believe there are also Color Wonder finger paints that work the same way.

One other idea: do drawing and painting in the bathtub. You can do regular painting, with paintbrushes on paper, and then when they're done just hose down the tub, OR you can use bathtub crayons or finger paints (note: a friend of mine w/a dairy-allergic DD says the fingerpaints can have lactic acid in them). If you use the Crayola bathtub crayons, though, do make sure that they come off completely w/o staining; our tub is OK, but sometimes, especially w/older tubs, the grout can stain permanently, so test first!

Hope this helps you get started!
Quote (selected)

Offline *Nicola*

crayons
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 21:11:44 pm »
Deb, that's a great idea about painting in the bath, I never thought of that one!

Marissa's mum, I didn't aim to keep things clean with the painting!  We just put Ciara in the kitchen or outside if it's warm and let her get on with it.  We have floorboards so there would be no mess on carpets to worry about.  Kids love to finger paint much more than with a brush at this age.  If you are a clean freak ( I mean that in a nice way!) then this is possibly not for you!!  Put your lo in the bath to paint like deb says!

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 21:16:06 pm »
Here's a relatively mild shot of ciara painting in the living room.  She was about 1.5 years old I think.  

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 21:59:42 pm »
Oh, and you may want to try Color Wonder products (Crayola makes these). We have the markers, and you can get books and also just plain sheets. The idea is that the markers make no color anywhere except the Color Wonder paper, which has a prepared surface so the color even stays inside the lines. The kid DOES at least pick the color(s), though, and I believe there are also Color Wonder finger paints that work the same way.

I like the concept of these Crayola Color Wonder products. I really should go take a look at what they offer these days, things have changed a lot since I was a kid!  ;D  It's such a gimmicky marketing thing to have you buy their "special" paper. I have the feeling the desire for cleanliness will win out over the cost of their paper. I can just see kids going through the paper very quickly...

What is A.C. Moore? I don't think we have that store here in the west coast or California? I wonder what kind of equivalent store it is in my area...

LOL, on the hardwood in the kitchen.  I don't think that's so bad. DH & I were house hunting a while back and we would see these houses with carpeting in the bathroom. I'm not talking about a bathmat you can remove for cleaning so you can mop the floor underneath. I'm talking about actually wall-to-wall carpet installed everywhere including around the toilet! Ick...

We currently have carpeting in most of the house, except for kitchen/bathroom. We're thinking of removing the carpet (it's old) and exposing the beautiful hardwood underneath. I'm thinking that cleaning hardwood floors is easier than vacuuming, right? I mean, I HATE vacuuming. Let me do dishes and laundry, but not the vacuuming!!!! Of course I've recently discovered Swiffer dry & wet cloths for the kitchen. I wonder if they have something like that for hardwood floors. I'm not sure if the Swiffer wet cloths can be used on hardwood.

Painting in the bathtub is a great idea. I don't think we'd be able to pull it off though, since we do have an old bathtub.

I've heard that kids like to doodle on post-it notes... wonder if DD will ever be able to contain her "creativeness" on a 3x3 square.  ;D

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 22:03:05 pm »
Here's a relatively mild shot of ciara painting in the living room.  She was about 1.5 years old I think. 

Oh my, painting right in the livingroom! Maybe I can eventually try this when DD is a little older and standing better. She's still learning to walk, and she still loses her balance when she's standing.

Marie

Offline deb

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 22:05:46 pm »
AC Moore is like Michael's - I just like ACMoore better. (Our Michael's has spotty service at best. :()

The biggest drawback I've found to the Color Wonder stuff is that there are only a few different books, so unless you have a kid who won't notice when it's taken him/her 3 days to go through all 3 or 4 of them and they're repeating, well..... it helps to cut/tear out pages so you only do a few at a sitting so they last longer! LOL

For BIIIIIG post-it's, try Staples in the Teacher section or go to a teacher supply store. They have 'em like 2x4 FEET for meetings and classrooms. :D

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 22:09:25 pm »
Oh my, painting right in the livingroom! Maybe I can eventually try this when DD is a little older and standing better. She's still learning to walk, and she still loses her balance when she's standing.

Could you put her in her highchair to paint.  That way you could contain the mess pretty easily.  

We currently have carpeting in most of the house, except for kitchen/bathroom. We're thinking of removing the carpet (it's old) and exposing the beautiful hardwood underneath. I'm thinking that cleaning hardwood floors is easier than vacuuming, right? I mean, I HATE vacuuming. Let me do dishes and laundry, but not the vacuuming!!!! Of course I've recently discovered Swiffer dry & wet cloths for the kitchen. I wonder if they have something like that for hardwood floors. I'm not sure if the Swiffer wet cloths can be used on hardwood.

You can use dry swiffer on hardwood and laminate flooring.  Before you go ripping up carpets, hardwood and laminate is a nightmare to keep tidy and 'bit'free!  I would never go back to carpet (we don't have any in our house) but it is so much easier to keep than laminate -except that laminate doesnt get marked.  We always have bits of stuff on the floor or sticking to feet, even if we hoover twice a day.  Drives me totally bonkers!!!

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 22:54:45 pm »
AC Moore is like Michael's - I just like ACMoore better. (Our Michael's has spotty service at best. :(

Oh, we have a Michael's, but it's a 30 minute drive there. I used to go there to get yarn (when I first learned to knit a year+ ago)  before I discovered that nicer yarns could be purchased online. I never looked at what other stuff Michael's offered. I'll have to see if I can make a trip out there, it's sort of out of the way for me.

Quote (selected)
For BIIIIIG post-it's, try Staples in the Teacher section or go to a teacher supply store. They have 'em like 2x4 FEET for meetings and classrooms. :D

Oh my! I didn't even know you could get post-it notes that big!!!

Marie

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 23:09:14 pm »
Could you put her in her highchair to paint.  That way you could contain the mess pretty easily.

Hey, I never thought of that! That's a good idea since the tray is easy to clean. Although my DD is such an active girl who hates being strapped in (to car seat, highchair, shopping cart, etc), that I'm not quite sure how long she'd last in it.

Quote (selected)
Before you go ripping up carpets, hardwood and laminate is a nightmare to keep tidy and 'bit'free!  I would never go back to carpet (we don't have any in our house) but it is so much easier to keep than laminate -except that laminate doesnt get marked.  We always have bits of stuff on the floor or sticking to feet, even if we hoover twice a day.  Drives me totally bonkers!!!

I didn't know that about keeping hardwood tidy and "bit"-free. Or maybe it's because I can't see what's been dropped onto our carpet, since it is a brown color that hides all that crud. It's just that I have seen DD holding/waving her sippy cup and dripping water/juice everywhere, I just hate to think how much of it is on the carpet. I was thinking that I could see the mess with hardwood and clean it up. I don't think DD cares about how clean the carpet is though, she crawls eveywhere, touches everything, then rubs her eyes/face or puts her fingers into her mouth.  :(

I guess the biggest reason I hate vaccuuming is that the vacuum which I inherited from my mom is one of those canister types which feels back breaking when I have to tug the other end around behind me. I'm tempted to get a Dyson, but they're so expensive and I can't really justify the expense, especially now that we are on one incrome. Of course I'd probably curse the upright styles for not easily allowing me to vacuum under tables & beds. And I don't like moving furniture around.

Marie

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 08:29:20 am »
Try Walmart/Target for the paint books.  I would think they would be near the colouring books and such.   That is one BIG post it note!    :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 17:45:55 pm »
I saw two Crayola Color Wonder products at the local Walgreens (it's a smallish store, sorta like Longs, Rite Aid, ABC, CVS, etc) and noticed that the packaging said "3 yrs +". Do you think I should stick to that? Or is it OK to use them with my 15 mos old?

Marie

Offline deb

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 18:55:47 pm »
I saw two Crayola Color Wonder products at the local Walgreens (it's a smallish store, sorta like Longs, Rite Aid, ABC, CVS, etc) and noticed that the packaging said "3 yrs +". Do you think I should stick to that? Or is it OK to use them with my 15 mos old?

Josie was using them supervised well before then. I think they're worried about the lids to the markers, stuff like that.

BTW, found lots more of them at Target yesterday while looking for something completely different, including a sort of "starter pack" with the finger paints and a couple books and I think some markers as well.

Offline Marisa's Mom

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 21:56:47 pm »
I'm always worried about pen caps. Of course DD loves to grab pens, and stick them in her mouth, & chew on them.  ::)  We had a ball point pen that ran out of ink, it was the kind with the push button on top, so it is a one-piece pen with nothing to come apart as a choking hazard (well, if you twist hard enough, you can open it, but I don't think DD has the dexterity to pull that off yet) ... this is what we let DD hold on to and chew on.

I'll checkTarget for those when I make a trip out there to pick up more diapers. It'll be so cool when (someday) she'll get excited about the box of 64 colors of crayons.  I know that kept me occupied for some time when I was a kid. ;D

Marie