Author Topic: Night Terrors? 10 month old's sleeping issues  (Read 2808 times)

Offline mom2matt

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night Terrors? 10 month old's sleeping issues
« on: June 19, 2006, 17:53:26 pm »
Hi there,
Am new to this site, but have read & heard great things about the boards.  Apologies in advance for the length.
I'm a first time mom, and have a 10 month old son.  He has a pretty good daytime routine, but the nights have been not so good from the start.  We had some trouble with acid reflux (GERD) which has added to the problem.  The reflux seems to be under control now, and the Dr. as well as hubby & I are pretty sure that he has grown out of it. 
The main issue we have been dealing with lately (the last two weeks) is that the baby has been waking up screaming (not a regular cry) on several occasions most nights.  We aren't sure, but are thinking it might be night terrors or nightmares.  He is difficult to console, refuses the breast, and the episodes last 5-20 minutes.  Sometimes it seems that he is awake & aware, other times he is clearly not awake.
This is our main concern, but we would also like to move him from the family bed into his crib.  The cry it out method is a last resort, but since we are so sleep deprived, it is fast becoming a likely option.  Currently, I am about to start sleeping in a bed with him in his room, beside the crib and plan to slowly start to get him into the crib.
Would really appreciate any suggestions, advise, previous experience as the lack of sleep is having a negative impact on all three of us.  Have been trying to push through it for the baby's sake, but cannot keep at it indefinitely.

Here are my answers to the questions suggested:
What’s his/her daily routine?
Wakes up around 5am to feed, usually nurse twice between 5 and 8am, up around 8am for the day.  Breakfast around 9am (have to wait due to medication), plays until 11am, nurses then naps.  Lunch around 12:30, plays, nurses again around 2:30pm, then naps again.  Eats another meal (dr. suggests feeding him 5 meals a day as his wait is on the low side) at 4pm, plays, run errands, etc.  Nurses around 5pm, dinner around 7:30pm, plays, gets medicine, nurses to sleep around 8:30pm. 
He is currently sleeping with us, but we are in the process of trying to get him into his crib.

What’s nap routine? How long are naps?
Two naps, 45mins-2 hours each, one nap in the morning & one in the afternoon.

What's bedtime routine? Time?
Between 8-9pm, nurses to sleep

Do you bottle or breastfed??  How Long?
BF, 5-10 minutes

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
One side, sometimes both before bed

How many wakes per night?
Between 9pm-12am, he wakes at least once, and sometimes 3-4 times.  Is up again between 12am, and 5am fussing & wanting to nurse, I have not nursed him at this time or the last week, instead I comfort, etc.  Up again between 4-5am, I nurse him at this time.  I often nurse again 1-2 times in order to keep him sleepy and in bed.

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
Sometimes he wakes and is fussy, can settle back with soother in 10 mins, other wakings are terrible, screaming, crying, inconsolable.  When fussy he is half-asleep, so not up for long.  When crying, etc, he is up for 20-30 mins.

What have you tried to settle??
Holding & soothing words, rocking, walking, breastfeeding (only when he is really upset), often a tour of the house or yard or a visit with the cat can get him settled.

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
Some teething, two teeth sprouted three weeks ago, no new signs of teeth right now

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
Soother

Do they have a lovie?
Are in the process of using a small frog, specially made for this purpose, he only gets it at night, but doesn't have to have it.  We are in the process of trying to get him into his crib, and want him to have a comfort once he is there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 20:19:00 pm by mom2matt »
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Night Terrors? 10 month old's sleeping issues
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 16:13:18 pm »
It does sound like night terrors are a definite possiblity, but are you sure that he's not screaming in pain from reflux/heartburn? Nighttime can be such a tough thing for refluxers.

Sounds like you already have a plan in place to get him in the crib at night, which is great. On a side note, I would really suggest not nursing him to sleep. He will become dependent on that to get to sleep if he isn't already, and that will not be conducive to independent sleep.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline mom2matt

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 14:28:36 pm »
We are pretty sure it is not reflux, no real way to be 100%, but he doesn't do it every night & he doesn't respond the same way he used to when the reflux was causing major problems.  We have also started weaning off the Zantac with no major changes, and some nights there isn't any major problems, just lots of fussing.
I know the nursing to sleep isn't good, but when things with the reflux were bad, and they were so, so very bad for months, it was what worked.  And I have been nervous, hesitant to change what worked, but am in the process of taking him off the breast sleepy, but awake, then giving the pacifier if he still wants to suck.  Have had success with keeping things quiet the last few nights and putting him down sleepy, but awake with the pacifier.
Thanks for the response, it's hard to talk to friends and family as few have heard much about reflux & others aren't approving of co-sleeping & attachment parenting.
 :)
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 15:58:52 pm »
Sounds like you are doing great!

I've also had a hard time with our friends and family with my DS's reflux - they seem to think it's only an adult problem.  ::)  But yet they do acknowledge that babies don't have developed sphincter muscles or digestive systems. DUH!!!!  ::)  ::)  We're also working on weaning the Zantac but it's been very slow going for us. And don't worry about doing what you had to do when things were awful. You can always fix those things later - the key is survival!!!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o