Author Topic: Baby 4-5 wks will not sleep in cot  (Read 853 times)

Offline dubai

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:13:37 pm »
HI our 4-5 week old son is still in those early stages, but he will not sleep in his moses basket, he will happily go to sleep on us after we use the shh pat but as soon as we put him in , he is awake screaming within min. We have also tried putting him in awake same problem , he is feeding every 2-3 hours. Would appreciate any helpfull suggestions.

Offline Fudge

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Baby 4-5 wks will not sleep in cot
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:57:30 pm »
You could try putting your pillowcase in the cot that smells of you and use it as his sheet,it might help him settle if think he can get your scent.Also,try popping a hot water bottle in beforehand,so its nice an warm when you transfer him from your lap to cot.(of course ,remove the water bottle 1st).You could put his blanket over him for a while,when hes on your lap,then when you put him in the cot,he'll still have the blanket on and it'll be warm from his body heat.If any of these ideas work,then I'm sure it won't be long till he gets used to being in his cot.
 Good luck :)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 00:27:13 am »
I believe this would be an instance where you would need to use shh/pat to help send him off to sleep.  He probably prefers sleeping on mom or dad b/c it's so comfy.  But, by using shh/pat, you'll be able to show him that you are still there for him to help him fall asleep.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline dubai

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 19:32:38 pm »
thanks for the tips we are trying the shh pat but he seems to stir easily as soon as he is put in the cot we have also tried warming him with his blanket and  a heated wheat sack, maybe we are expecting to much to soon, he is still happily sleeping on either of us but it gives us no Y time, we will keep ploding along with the tips so thanks :)l

Offline mari

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 19:37:00 pm »
I had this problem with DS during the night feed and my midwife suggested putting a hot water bottle whilst he was feeding so that his Moses basket didn't get cold and it worked a treat.