Author Topic: Dreamfeed to help with nightsleeping  (Read 1057 times)

Offline RitaB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 22, 2006, 13:52:08 pm »
I have a 10 week old baby who still wakes up once or twice a night. He is on a 3 hr routine during the day and he goes to bed at 8pm.  So then I try to do the 11pm dreamfeed and he will not wake up enought to eat.  I can change his diaper, clothes, or do anything to him and he will sleep through it...and then, of course, he gets up at 2am to eat (only about 3-4oz..he usually eats 6oz during the day).  He is 15lbs...so I'm thinking he is big enough to sleep through then night, but will he be able to do it without the dreamfeed?  Am I unrealistic to think he shoud be able to skip that 2am feeding?
Rita

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: Dreamfeed to help with nightsleeping
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 13:57:16 pm »

10 weeks is young for sleeping through the night if he is only waking once to feed i wouldn't worry about trying to drop th night feed yet, df can disrupt night sleep and actually make it worse i know it did not work for me.

all my babies have been big and it is my opinion that they tend to need more food so therefor wake up at night for longer.

Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline RitaB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 14:14:26 pm »
Thank you Emma.  I was thinking the same thing that the df could actually be working against him, so I'll stop trying for now and see how he does...I've just heard so many people say that their child slept throught he night at 6 to 8 weeks and when I tell them that my son weights 15lb at 10wks and he still doesn't...they say that he really should especially if he is that big...so it just gets confusing, but I'll not NOt feed him at night if he is hungry, so I'll just have to countinue with the nightfeedings for now.
Rita

Offline macsmum

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 14:23:50 pm »
I know, don't u get sick of hearing that everyone else lo's sleep through, my ds is 5 months old and is now getting up about 4 times from going to bed at 7pm the last 3 nights he hasn't even made it to midnight, i give up i am not even trying anymore, he has reflux though so i think that may have something to do with these added wake ups, add this to the fact that my 2 girls were nearly 3 b4 they slept through, Ive had it. i have no idea why my babies just don't like sleep.

good luck i am sure u will get there in the end i have not spoke to anyone that has had babies as bad at sleep as mine all are.

Emma

Offline RitaB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 18:12:11 pm »
oh gosh, it sounds like  you have your handsfull too.  My lo has acid reflux too...we went through a very very rough first five weeks, but now he is on the right formula and medication and he seems to be doing much better....other than the occasional feeding problems where he screams and spits up and chokes through it...but again that is a whole new thread..LOL....thank you so much for your reply, I feel better knowing that if he doesn't sleep through the night yet, it is not me doing something wrong...it is just normal.

Rita

Offline macsmum

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 20:58:10 pm »

out of interest what formula do u use?

my ds is on sma white!
Emma

Offline RitaB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 23:51:18 pm »
He went through five different ones before we landed on the Enfamil Nutramagen....he still spits up with every feeding sometimes a lot sometimes just a little...but at least he doesn't scream when he spits up anymore....I also add 1tsp/2oz of rice cereal to his every bottle....I guess that's why he is such a big boy now..LOL

Rita

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 14:37:23 pm »
Does your lo wake up at 5/6am as well or does he sleep thru after 2am feed?  Did you drop df if so what happened.  My lo still wants the 2am feed but not the 5am then he has dummy and goes back to sleep.  I always thought it was the 2am feed they pushed away and wondered it the df was disrupting sleep.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06