Author Topic: Help with 4 month old baby who wakes every 2 hours at night  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Baby Marena

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my kids!
Hi! I'm new at this web page, but it is great work everyone is doing here.  First I would like to say that I just finished reading Tracy's first book, which has amazing advice.  My baby is doing great with the routing, I'm still having a little trouble teaching her to fall asleep on her own though.  The first 3 days she was doing great, I actually thought she had learned to fall asleep, but by the fourth day it was like she completely forgot what we where doing, every time I put her in her crib she started crying loud and hard.  Also as soon as I put her in the routing she started sleeping 9 hours straight at night, I would put her to bed at 7.30 pm waking again at 4.30 am for a short feeding and going back to sleep until 6 am when she got up.  I was so happy, it was perfect! All of a sudden she wakes up every 2 hours, I feed her but she won't go back to sleep, unless she falls asleep in my arms and stays there for 30 min at least, sometimes as soon as I put her back to her crib she starts crying and I have to start all over again. I'm going crazy I feel like back when she was born.  She is getting 3 naps of 45 min during the day, sometimes 1 of 1.5 hrs and 2 of 45 min.  I haven't been able to stretch the 45 min naps, she clearly wakes up tired, but she won't go back to sleep until a few hours later.
Please give me some advice!!!
Thanks!!!

Angelica, Marena & Santiago

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: Help with 4 month old baby who wakes every 2 hours at night
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 21:34:05 pm »
 hello, do you have your dd on the 4hour EASY? Could you post your routine?
 Perhaps the short day time naps are causing her to be overtired by bedtime and thus poor sleep at night? You can check out   the nap section for tips on extending the naps.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:11:19 am »
pls do post your routine :)

do you swaddle your lo??

also if you could answer the questions found here it would be very helpful :)

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54625.0
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Baby Marena

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my kids!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 20:32:51 pm »
Hello and thank you for getting back to me. I am from Costa Rica so the book I read was in Spanish and they call it Tracy's routine which is feeding baby, activity time, sleeping time, time for yourself; I'm guessing it is the 4 EASY routine just translated with a different name.  Since I live right at the beach and we don't have A/C I can't swaddle my baby, because is too hot, even at night. 
Since I wrote the last time my baby is doing much better sleeping at night.  I decided to start over and now she wakes every three hours instead of two and goes right back to sleep, so it is much better now. She is going to bed at 6.30 pm the latest, I feed her again at 9 pm, since I go to bed early just after I do the 9 pm feeding, I don't do the 11 pm feeding that Tracy recommends, so she wakes up again at 1 am, and then there's another feeding at 3 am, which I'm starting to think its unnecessary, because its been only 2 hours since her last feeding.  So I would need advice on how to help her sleep through the night, how can I tell if she is waking up because she is hungry or because she is used to do so. I also answered the questions:

How old is your child?
4 months old

What’s his/her daily routine?
Wakes up around 6 am, feed her, plays a little bit then go for a bath, takes a 45 min nap around 8:30 am. Wakes again feed her, plays again and naps again 45 minutes.  Since she is still tired from her last nap this happens in like 1 hour and 30 min, so after she wakes up again it's been usually 2 and a half hours or so since the last feeding. Feed her again, plays, naps maybe 1 hour and a half.  Feed her, we go out for a walk, when we come back go for a bath again around 5 pm, feed her after the bath, play a little more and around 6:30 pm she goes to sleep. 

What’s nap routine?
2 naps in the morning usually about 45 min, and 1 longer nap 1.5 hours in the afternoon, I try she does all her naps before 3 pm.  Some days she is able to nap for 2 hrs, but is not very common. I would say she is napping a total of 3 to 4 hours the most on very uncommon days.

How long are naps?
45 min usually, some times 1.5 or 2 hours

What's bedtime routine? Time?
Bath around 5 pm, feeding, a little time with us and then she goes to bed around 6:30 pm, some days 6 pm depending how tired she might be

Do you bottle or breastfed??
Breastfed only

How much? or how long?
It usually takes her about 5-7 min.

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
only one side

How many wakes per night?
3 some days 4

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
right now waking only to eat and going to sleep right after, up for 10 min the most.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
little bit of crying just like announcing she's awake

What have you tried to settle??
nothing I just feed her each time

What do you do for A time and how long is it?
I don't know what A time is

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
not at this moment

Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
no

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
no

Do they have a lovie?
no

Offline debo620

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:27:17 am »
At 4 months old, you should start the transition to a 4hour EASY, you are right about the order of things--Eat,Activity, Sleep.  However, you'll want to start to space her feeds out to 4hour apart. The theory being that her stomach can hold more and she will be hungrier. If feeding every 2 1/2 hours--she will never be taking in a "full" feed--------which may lead to her still being hungry in the night. Maybe start first with a 3 1/2 hr spacing.
 This may be difficult due to the short naps. I had the same problem with sort naps. One day I just decided to space the feeds 4hours apart. Essesntially what this did was give me more"time" to get him back to sleep. Sometimes my son would eat, be awake, nap fpr 45min, I would do pick up/put down for 30min and he would sleep for another 45min which brought us to our next feed. I have found his naps have improved drastically once I moved to 4hour feedings. I would look at extending her am nap to 1 1/2 - 2hrs. she should be taking 2 long naps plus a short catnap.

sample routine:

E-6am
A
S-8:00 or 8:15am for 1 1/2 hrs-2hrs.

E-10am
A
S-12pm---1 1/2hrs-2hrs

E-2pm
A
S 3:30 or 4pm for 30-45min

E-6pm
A-bath
S-bed 6:30pm

do a feed before you go to bed---maybe 10pm? are you doing this feed as a dreamfeed?

hope this helps,
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Baby Marena

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I love my kids!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 03:09:27 am »
Thank you so much for this information, I really appreciate it. Yes the 10 pm would be a dreamfeed, and lately Marena is eating every 3 or 3.5 hrs apart, some days even 4 hrs, so I don't think there would be any problem switching to the 4 EASY.  I also have another question, for the last couple of days my baby is waking up at 3 am, she doesn't fuss, she lays in her crib and coos as if it was 9 am for 1.5 hrs, then goes back to sleep.  Should this be changing with the 4 EASY, or is there anything else I should do????

Offline debo620

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 03:27:10 am »
doesn't that drive you crazy.... sorry I don't know an answer to that one-----my son does it too occassionally. From what I understand......don't go to her unless she is crying.  I think the most important thing is that she is putting herself back to sleep.
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013