Author Topic: More important . . . EAS or 3 hours?  (Read 732 times)

Offline gracie3

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
More important . . . EAS or 3 hours?
« on: June 22, 2006, 21:22:24 pm »
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is . . .
do you think it is more important the the ORDER is the same every day (E, A then S) or that you stick to a rough 3 hour eating routine?
 the reason I ask this is because my 10 week old dd is doing a 2.5 hour routine right now (I think malachi's mom posted something about this as well?) We were battling 45 minute naps for about two weeks, then i decided that instead of trying to extend naps (which wasn't working) I'd just keep the EASY routine and ignore the 3 hour feeding intervals, avoiding EASAE routine. With my two older children, I just stuck to EASY and the timing seemed to work itself out.  this seems to work better, we have fewer 45 minute naps, although its about 1/2 and 1/2 (out of 4 naps/day, 2 are 1.5 hours, 2 are 45 minutes).  However, since dd is 13 lbs (95%) and eating every 2.5 hourse during the day, a DF at night, then waking at 1:30 and 4:30 to eat (takes a full feed) I KNOW she should be able to go 3 hours.  And when she wakes up after a 45 minute nap, if I try to get her to go to at least 2.5 hours, she can't stay awake much after that (her awake time is 1 hour MAX- we've been working on extending it, but she's pooped!) then the whole day spirals down.  since this IS my third, I know it will get better, but life would be much easier if i could get her stretched out a bit (fewer eatings at night would be great, too!)
So, do you think I should try for the 3 hour intervals, even if its EASAE, or stick to EASY, but only at 2.5 hours? (sometimes, 2 hours!) Any opinions/antecdotes/suggestions gladly accepted.  Oh- she is BF, with half bm/half formula at the dreamfeed (i can't pump enough for the dreamfeed bottle to be all formula)
Thanks!
Gracie

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: More important . . . EAS or 3 hours?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 18:02:10 pm »
However, since dd is 13 lbs (95%) and eating every 2.5 hourse during the day, a DF at night, then waking at 1:30 and 4:30 to eat (takes a full feed) I KNOW she should be able to go 3 hours.
This to me signafies that she needs the 3 hour routine.

So, do you think I should try for the 3 hour intervals, even if its EASAE, or stick to EASY, but only at 2.5 hours? (sometimes, 2 hours!)
I think you should go back to the 3 hour routine since your dd is at a healthy weight, and continue to work on extending naps.  Remember, it can take a lot of work and time.  I wasn't consistent about it, and suffered with dd's 30 min. naps until she was 6 months old.  Then, I'd had enough and used pu/pd, and it worked within 3 days.  Anyway, we'd have EASAE, and sometimes EASASE when she was younger.  It did make for a very cranky, overtired baby, and I know you want better than that.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007