Author Topic: what to do to change a bad habit waking  (Read 1037 times)

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
what to do to change a bad habit waking
« on: June 21, 2006, 14:13:27 pm »
My LO goes down at 8p and wakes up around 2am for a feed, I know he is hungry because he has a full feeding (best feed of the day actually). But then he is up at 4am. I know he is not hungry. I allow him to fuss in his crib for awhile and wait until the fuss turns into a cry before I go to sooth him. I usually go in, put in a pacifier and lay my arms on him for 5-10 minutes. I usualy have to do this 2 or 3 times before he goes back to sleep and then he only gives me another hour - wakes up usually at like 5:30 at which point I feed. So how do I cut out that 4am wake up? Should I not even go in? I feel like I am doing the right thing but it's still happening consistently. The worst part of this routine is that after the 5:30 feed, he'll go back down at 6am and sleep until 9:30! I'd rather have that 3.5 hours after the 2am feed!!!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: what to do to change a bad habit waking
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 15:27:55 pm »
i am not sure how old your lo is..but i would think that lo sleeping til 9:30 could be the problem as he is 'making up' for that lost night time sleep during that time.

if you would like us to take a further look into things pls answer the questions found in the 'pls read before posting' link at the top of the night wakings forum :)

if not, good luck with everything!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline MGardner

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 23:51:55 pm »
Ok great. My LO is 11 weeks tomorrow. He is on 3 hr. EASY that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't due to shorten nap times. He usually does great in the morning and in the afternoon we drift off the routine becuase he will only nap for 30-40 minutes at a time and when he wakes he expects to be fed because that is what he knows. He is breastfed and does about 10-12 minutes on one side only. I have an overactive letdown and he is fussy at the breast. Usually I offer both sides before bed. Typical day:
5am feed,
5:20-6:00 Winding down to try to go back to sleep
6:00-9:30 nap.
9:30 feed
10-11:00 Activity,
11:00-12:30 nap.
12:30 feed
1-2 Activity
2-2:30 nap
2:30 feed
3-4 Activity
4-5 winding down and eventually will nap for 30 minutes
5 feed
BATH
BOOK
7 feed with expressed bottle (dad usually takes 3oz) and bed at 7:30
WAKE at 1-2am feed and diaper change (almost always poops during feed) awake for 30-45 minutes
WAKE at 4am I go in use pacifier, and pat to sooth, awake for 20-25 minutes
WAKE at 5am feed awake for 1 hour
When he wakes he's usually always fussy which gradually turns into a cry if I leave him. If he happens to take a nap in the stroller during a walk or carseat than he wakes up screaming. We swaddle at every nap and bedtime and we use white noise, no lovie, no other prop. We've tried dreamfeed, it makes him wake more often at night.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 18:11:23 pm »
i think that long am nap - 6-9:30 may be giving you some trouble. i remember reading that tracy says to wake lo's if they sleep more than 2-2.5 hrs as it will mess up their sleep. lo will keep waking at the undesirable time b/c he is getting that extra long nap in the am to 'make up' for it. i personally wouldn't let lo sleep past the desired 'wake up' time that 'used' to be before these wakings came along.

you may want to try cluster feeding from 4-7 pm to get some extra calories in lo.

here are a couple links to sample routines for lo's about the age of your lo. just so you can have a better idea what the day should look like. here are routines 0-3months

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10384.0

and here is 3-6 months

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10385.0

hth!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005