Author Topic: 10mth old waking screaming and angry in the night  (Read 1156 times)

Offline R & J's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • From New Zealand - currently living in Switzerland
10mth old waking screaming and angry in the night
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:59:54 am »
Hi - our 10mth old has been waking during the night all this week angry and screaming and very difficult to settle.  I'm assuming it's related to milestones and teething but wondering if you could look at his schedule and offer any advice. We've previously had issues with 30-45min naps and early waking but have managed to get all that sorted in the past few weeks. While all that was happening he was sleeping well through the night but now that it's resolved, he's started with this angry waking. Here's the answers to all your questions:

10 months old

5.30-6.30  Wake
6.30 bottle 8oz offered, half taken
7.30 breakfast
9 nap for 1.25 h
10.30 snack
12.00 lunch
1.30 bottle 8oz
1.45 nap 1.25 h
3 snack
5 dinner
6 bath
6.30-7 bottle and bed

Generally settles well at bedtime, but gave Nurofen last night in case night waking was teething related, and he became very agitated and took over an hour to settle? Could this be because of meds?

Offering 8oz bottles but over the past few days he's only been having about 4 or 5oz

Wakes usually one or two times in the night

Wakes up angry and crying, can take up to half an hour to resettle

Don't know what mantra cry is but he's crying/screaming angry and frustrated, and scooting backwards up his cot until his head bangs the top, and does this over and over

Tried Pat/sh, PU/PD, and giving a bottle to settle. Previous nights the bottle has settled him but last night he didn't want that either.

A times tend to be 2.5, 3.5 and 4 through the day.

Just learnt to crawl and pull up this week, also teething, expecting top teeth next

Has been introduced to a wide variety of solid foods but a picky eater

Uses a paci but good at finding it himself in the night, often wakes crying with it still in his mouth. Doesn't have a lovie.

I know a lot of other people have worse problems that being up once or twice in the night but just frustrating as we've only just got all the other problems sorted   :(

thanks in advance!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 10mth old waking screaming and angry in the night
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:42:07 pm »
your routine looks pretty good to me :) good for you :)

how is lo when he wakes at night? obviously angry - but how long does it take to settle? and what do you actually have to do to get him to settle??

it does sound as if lo is in pain..maybe it is something new he is eating? or it could be medication related..i know with my lo - she had angry wakings when i was giving her advil instead of tylenol for teething pain..aparantly upset her belly. maybe it is something to do with that? maybe try a different med??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline R & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 12:58:52 pm »
Thanks. Was planning on trying Pamol tonight instead so we'll see if that makes any difference.

When he wakes he just cries normally but as soon as you try to settle him he starts screaming. I pick him up but that doens't really calm him, in fact he arches his back towards the cot as if he wants to get back in. I've tried lying on the bed with him but all I get is him sticking his fingers up my nose, in my ears etc!!  I think he usually just wears himself out with crying and after many pick ups and put downs he finally just rolls over and goes to sleep.

The wakeups have coincided with him really going off his formula... maybe an upset tummy? Today he completely refused his 1pm bottle. I have been trying to increase the amount and variety of finger food he eats, so might stick to jars of his old favourites for a few days and see if that helps. I'm just worried that this big decrease in the amount of milk might make him wake at night hungry?

Offline teezee

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 13:11:15 pm »
when lo arches his back it usually means they want to settle themselves...have you tried maybe leaving him a few minutes longer? could he be overstimulated before bed in any way? it still could be pain, as if it is the cause i am sure lo WANTS to be asleep but isn't up to it kwim? let me know how things go with the change in med...

he is off formula? is he taking milk then?? yes if he is not taking in many day calories he could very well start waking st night for them...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline R & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 13:46:51 pm »
Sorry, when I was talking about milk I really meant formula. He's just not interested at the moment. The weather is really hot so have been making sure he gets lots of water. Actually when he wakes in the night he drinks a lot of water too, and this seems to settle him. 

Leaving him to cry and resettle isn't really an option as we're on an overseas posting at the moment and are in a 2 bedroom apartment, so the little ones are sharing a room. For a while when DS was waking so early we put them in separate rooms while we slept on the foldout bed in the lounge :-\ but have recently put them back together. We also have some not so understanding neighbours  :P Maybe we'll try separating them again and see if that helps. 

Never mind, we leave here next week and head home.  3 weeks of holidays through various time zones so goodness knows what that will do to the routine!!!  ;)

Offline teezee

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 14:26:32 pm »
i would keep offering the formula - or juice or something of that nature - water yes but not too much as that can throw of the balance of electrolytes for lo.

could your lo have an ear infection? or as you said it could be teething as sometimes my lo won't take much either  :-\

i would keep offering water at night but during the day offer some, but not just water imo. have you tried giving the formula in a sippy?

it could absouletly be the change of environment also...my lo always gets a little whacky with her sleep when we are away from home..hopefully it will level off once you are home again :)
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005