Author Topic: 19.5 month old early waking and refusing to go to bed for mummy.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My DS's routine used to look like this until 2 weeks ago. I know what's caused the change but have no idea how to fix this.
6.00 - 6.30 Awake & breastfeed
8.00 Breakfast
11.45 Lunch
1.00 - 3.00 Nap I would wake him at 3.30 if still sleeping
3.30 Snack
5.30 Dinner
6.30 Bath
7.30 Bed
7.45 Asleep

He has always been an early riser averaging around 10.5 hours sleep at night. Even though he has been taking 1 nap since he was 13 months we didn't move this until after lunch until the clock was turned for British summer time a few months ago. After a week of sleeping until 7am gaining an hour of overnight sleep he soon sneaked back to his usual 6am wake up. This  doesn't bother me really but I know that I will be too lazy to stop breastfeeding until he makes a bit longer in the mornings! He used to fall asleep by himself chatting away to his teddy and he'd play for around 20 mins in his cot in the mornings with his light machine.

Buth this all changed a couple of weeks ago when he fell poorly with a nasty ear infection. He's never been ill really so it was a great shock to both of us. He didn't sleep at all for 3 nights and would fall asleep in my arms twice a day. We had taken him into our bed because he had a very high temperature that the meds didn't shift. Once the antibiotics kicked in after a few days we tried to get back to our routine. We still had been putting him to bed at his usual time but we went back to usual nap time as well. Unfortunately he kept waking at least once in the night and then at 5am. I didn't bring him into our bed but tried consoling him in his own room and laying on his floor. He hasn't fallen asleep after 5am since.

Also throughout this I have been working a couple of hours a day. I work 5pm -7pm Mondays and Fridays when hubby puts him to bed and 1.30 - 4.30 Tuesdays and Thursdays when my mother babysits. He now refuses to go to bed at all for me. He'll become hysterical in seconds. On the nights i'm not there hubby has no problems but when I'm home he has become very nasty towards me, biting and pinching and stuff. He calls out that he wants hugs from mummy and that he wants to breatfeed. This continues through the day and he has  been nursing only once since 12 months. (This is exasperated by the fact that nana doesn't discipline him).  During his night wakings he always calls for me but behaves terribly and seems to settle better for dad. But I get so upset that he's calling out for me and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to console him. I'm feeling quite tearful writing this. I'm scared that he's still unwell even though his ear infection seems to have cleared and don't want to start a wi/wo approach if that's the case.

For the last 4 days he's been taking a 3 hour nap rather than his usual 2 and going to bed at the same time but waking at 5 (and sometimes 1 or 2 night wakings as well). Last night hubby put him to bed at 8pm rather than 7.30 and he woke consistently from 2.30am and was finally up at 6.20am. I slept on his floor which seemed to stop him screaming but he kept on waking to check that I was there.

I don't know whether I should wake him after 2 hours from his nap and try to get him back to his routine that way or do wi/wo to get him to sleep later in the morning. I know what has caused this, illness, separation anxiety and no discipline from my mum but I have no idea how to change this. His all round behaviour has worsened since his illness and I don't want to make things worse by feeling so guilty that I have to go to work. I had been contemplating returning to university in September to do a Teacher's Training course but now I'm not so sure because of LO's behavior.

Please help before things get out of hand.

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Re: 19.5 month old early waking and refusing to go to bed for mummy.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 14:47:02 pm »
Hi

First hugs to you, it can be so frustrating when things seem to be going all OK then wham, the whole thing out the window.

I would aim to get your routine back to how it was, I would wake him after a two hour nap and put him to bed at the normal time.  I've never found that a later bed time makes a later wake up - usually the reverse.

One thing, I'm not sure of is what you mean but 'behaviour' getting worse.  He's 19.5 months so its not really conscious bad behaviour.  He will understand a bit about cause and effect, but none of his actions are going to be done to deliberately wind you up or hurt your feelings.  I think its really important to get that out of your thinking because it won't help you decide what to do.  What is it you expect your mum to do?

So I think the early wake up will be the last to resolve.  The night wakings need to be addressed either with wi/wo or PD or even W2S if its regular as clockwork.  If you think its separation anxiety then that may call for a variation (what he's like in the day will determine whether it is SA).  If he's calling for breastfeeding then he may be asking for comfort from you.  Try and give him lots of cuddles and re-assurance, without the feeding.  I know you says he bites etc but you need to deal with that firmly, then move on.  YOu can't hold grudges about a bite from earlier in the day or yesterday.

I hope this helps and that you are soon back on track
Jenny

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 18:11:27 pm »
I just wanted to add to jenny's wonderful advice that yes, it might be "leftovers" from the illness. I have found i have it REALLY HARD when ds gets sick and we are up for a couple of weeks after he's totally clear where his feeding, discipline and sleeping habits get out of the wack. I just remain consistent (as much as possible) with routines, timings and way of dealing things (as night wakings or tantrums) and things seem to get better after the dreaded 2 week mark. You might want to keep on trying the Gradual WIthdrawal method (where you stay next to his crib) for this following week until he's sure he's ok and mommy's not leaving. It is a traumatic experience for them to feel so bad, they still can't understand why all the pain, body aching etc and that's why they need extra reassurance even when they're feeling ok. Mostly because this was your ds's first illness.. it is all new to him. My ds gets sick really often and he has not get "Used to it" yet...

Good luck and hugs for you. Keep us posted on your progress!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 19:00:31 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. I now feel happier that I'm not doing the wrong thing by using the gradual withdrawal method when he wakes. I do think that  his sleep problems are to do with leftovers from the illness and the fact that I was there with him through most of it but had to leave for a couple of hours a day when he wanted me to stay. The reason I think it's separation anxiety is that he doesn't behave the same way when my husband puts him to bed or goes to him at night. He calls out for me but if I go in he becomes more hysterical and wants to be picked up (which I do) and then I sleep on his floor and he checks that I'm there every 40 mins or so. If DH goes in he can settle him. So I don't know whether to go in or not because I feel guilty that he's asking for me or send DH in and know that DS will sleep better and will be more rested by morning.

As for his behaviour I know he doesn't do things to wind me up but he does do things he knows he shouldn't because of the different reaction he gets at my mums. For example, if he has a wicked grin on his face (as my mum calls it) and he goes to attack a potted plant and turn it over my mum remarks with "oh no Benjamin, you're wicked" in a giggly voice and laughs. He attempted to do the same thing at home and he said "Oh no, Ben wicked" as he did it. Because Nana finds things funny he thinks everyone else will. When I say no firmly in the past week he comes to me and either bites or pinches me and tells me that he's doing so.  He pinched me just broke his heart. He obviously doesn't hear the word a lot from her. He even called me "nasty mummy" once which upset me. I think his language skills are quite good for his age as he's stringing around 4 words together a lot so he's not difficult to understand. I don't dwell on things when he does something he shouldn't and I'm continually praising him for all the things he's doing nicely and comforting him a lot when he tells me something hurts but I'm sure he's able to manipulate even at this young age. When he does something wrong he sometimes will say "hugs for mam" before I get a chance to tell him otherwise. This coming from a not so huggy child who is very stingy with his hugs and kisses is quite funny and irresistable. He's demanding to be breastfed I think becase I did feed him more regularly  when he was sick because he wasn't eating and now he's finding it difficult to go back.

I don't know if both the sleep and behavior stuff are related. I just think I find it difficult to respond to both things. My heart is telling me to give him more leeway than usual but to be honest I do think there's some manipulation of mummy going on because he doen't do this with anyone else. I've never allowed him to cry it out so find methods like wi/wo difficult. Pu/pd worked when he was younger with sleep problems but I don't know if it would now.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I'll stick with things a while and see if things improve over the next week. I'm working a full week for the first time in almost a year in a couple of weeks and dreading how he'll respond to that.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 19:59:30 pm »
Oh the world of working mommas! talk about guilt! we hear you there sweetie, been through that road a number of times, with the consequent grannie and me having to play the nasty momma role...

In fact, i beleive your ds is quite the smartie pants. I would doubt though that the sleeping issues are manipulating related. More like a " i want my mommy" call, and who can blame him for that? being the smart cookie he is, he's realizing you're not around that often and on top of it, it was a coinciding time with his illness, so you'll have to work hard on rebuild that part of the "trust" that has broken. Don't you worry it sounds worse than it is. By being by his side and giving lots of extra cuddles this following weeks you'll get there.

I'm not specialized in Discipline issues, can only talk to you about what has worked for me. Maybe you'd like to post something in the Discipline forum where you'll get heaps of good hints and knowledge from the ladies there. But what has worked for us is to avoid the no's and turning them into yes, like with the plant i would go like: i know that is fun, but so is XX and offer and alternate activity where you make a big fuss about and he'll find he's pleasing you (hey, if he gets a smiley from nana he might as well expect that from you and since you come with the NO that would explain why he's angry and starts biting), so you might find the alternate choices world a lot more fun and less distressing than the world of no's.

Also, when he says something (or does something) that hurts you, try to breathe, leave and come back after counting to 10. My son is the same, the other day he was really a big bag of mischief and i was constantly limiting him so he told me: mommy go away yes? nina here (nina is his nanny) i wanted to smack him and cry my lungs out at the same time (i cried out at night with my dh, i was so sad he stopped loving me and wanted the nanny instead). Of course nanny doesn't mind to clean up after the mess he makes and will rather do so instead of disciplining him. But they get the idea, that maybe granny or nanny allow them to do X but mommy won't but is as funny as they are, don't you worry just don't take it personal. When he told me to leave i said, (instead of the smacking and crying i had already planned LOL) i know nina lets you do this but hey, I know the sheep song and she doesn't and started to sing a made up song. He followed me right away and forgot about his plans of firing me LOL.

Whenever ds is doing something dangerous or mischievous I say: i'm going to play here with my little people (draw, read a magazine, wahtever) cause Manolo won't play with me...oooh it's so funny, too bad he won't join me... he's right there in the blink of an eye. SOmetimes all they want (sp. the working mamma kids) is your attention. They won't loose it because of a tantrum or a mischief so if you don't give a bad connotation to it and pretend you don't care, they'll stop the bad behaviour cause they'll see they're not getting what they want (attention) and will look forward to do the things that will cause mommy to pay attention to them... don't know if i made some sense but that was pretty long winded for one who doesn't give discipline advice LOL...

As for trying wi/wo, i wouldn't think of it as a "leaving him to cry" method since you're returning every single time he's in a distressed crying. You go in, and REASSURE which is the most important part of it. It's not like he'll be on his own to figure things out. You'll just be there by his side, teaching him an independant way to do things. And you'll do it together. Yes, there might be tears, but remember los are reluctant to new ways and tears are their only way to express frustration, so you'll not be making him suffer... just teaching and sometimes it hurts to learn but when you look back, its totally worth it!

HTH and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 20:02:25 pm »
I think the different reaction to mummy and daddy is quite common.  We had it and for a while I send DH in but my DH is away a lot and is not home for bedtime etc so I decided I needed to tackle it.  I had to completely ignore in my mind how he was with others, stop comparisons and just deal with it for me and funnily enough, he still does react and do things differently for me.  I do get lots of the good stuff but I also get the bad, I get tantrums, no one else does because I've realised that he realises that its me that makes the rules, therefore its me he tests his boundaries with.  

So I would go when he calls, I think decide in advance how you are going to react whether you are going to pick up and cuddle or whether you are going to do a gradual withdrawal on that, i.e. pick up and cuddle first time in, just lean over and kiss second time, just tuck in third time, etc - do you see what I mean.  I do this and it does work although sometimes its so hard when you get a little 'mummy' over the monitor and go in there and he's got the cheekiest grin on his face and I have to remain stoney faced and put him back under the covers.  I can't even say anything now because he learnt to say 'time for bed' and would lay there just repeating it.  Enough of me.

The nasty mummy comment will have come from something someone else said in a joking way, although his language skills sound like they are really good, I'm pretty sure he's heard someone else say that ;)  

If his speaking is good, his understanding will be 100 times that so try explaining very briefly that you have different rules to Nan.   If nothing else, it will help you to feel you've explained.  Then I would limit the word no to just biting, hitting etc and when he does something else then redirect or show him what he can do.  So, for example the plant, say we don't pull the plant down, we smell the flowers, aren't they lovely?  DS had a thing about picking the heads off my flowers until I taught him to smell them.  Now we spend 10 mins in the supermarket each week smelling the flowers!

You have to be creative with this and if you find yourself preventing too many things, then try moving some of them out of reach and concentrate on teaching a few, and then add to them gradually.

HTH
Jenny

Offline Liliben

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 18:36:48 pm »
Thanks so much for brill advice. I feel better that you both suggest that sleep and behaviour aren't related here. They just seemed to coincide time wise. last night I decided to put him to bed a half hour earlier after a 1.5 hour nap. He wouldn't settle for me but did for dad. He slept until 5.50 without any night wakings which was  a vast improvement. He still woke screaming that he wanted to get up and hugs from mummy which I did. I don't know why he doesn't play in his cot anymore. It might be because it's not that exciting. What could I give him to wake up to apart from his favourite books. Today again went well. he took a 1.5 hour nap and has I managed to put him to bed earlier with minimal winging. He never reused naps so I'm wondering if being a little over tired at bedtime might have been aggravating the mummy clinginess. I feel we're on the up. The behaviour stuff sounds so simple and something that will work for both of us too. But he has been far better today in that respect as well. probably because he's not so tired. I'll keep you posted and thanks so much.