Author Topic: 5 monthold still waking frequently  (Read 1356 times)

Offline sleeplessinN.C.

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 24, 2006, 20:27:14 pm »
Okay I'm gonna try to put everything down so here I go, My son is 5 months old, he is up between 6:30(am) and 7:30 and will nurse about 5 min. each side, at 9am have cereal about an ounce or ounce and 1/2, around 10/10:30 have a 4 ounce bottle of formula. 12/12:30 (fights sleep) he will nap 2 - 21/2 hours and gets a 6 ounce bottle when wakes(anywhere from 2:30-3:30, between 6-6:30 a 4-6 ounce bottle around this time he gets really fussy and alot of times will take a 15-30 min nap , 7-7:30 another serving of cereal, 8-8:30 a bath and by 9 nurse 5 min on both sides and sleeps ( in bassinet in our room) falls asleep very easily on his own, wakes up fussy between 1:30 and 3 am nurses another 5 min. per side but wakes up crying as soon as he leaves my arms usually takes 30 min to an hour to get him back down,(at this point some nights he lays down with me... I know but I am sooooooooo tired) then in another 2-21/2 hours he is up ( fussy) again wanting to nurse at this point he gets a boob and I usually fall asleep with him for an hour or 2, then we are up for the day. I do try and settle him down b-4 I nurse him give him his paci, rub his face or belly but it doesn't work he just gets upset and really screams. In the daytime he plays in his jumperoo and/or swing for a 1/2 hour or so he also likes his baby gym for 1/2 hour at a time, he doesn't have a lovie or any developmental issues that i know of so...I think that is all I am supposed to include for the post, his ped. said I shouldn't be having to feed him in the night at this age and he is using my boob as a paci. and I should let him cio, I cant do that after 5 min I'm ready to scream w/him, If you have any pearls of wisdom or advice PLEASE send it along I haven't slept more than 4 hours at a time in many months and am really feeling like poop.Thank you.

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
Re: 5 monthold still waking frequently
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 07:44:34 am »
I too have a 5 month old still waking in the night but find he sleeps better when i can get him down for 7pm i think any later and he is over tired i know its not easy but perhaps if you play around with the routine and try to get him down earlier this should help,
my son is waking once when he goes down earlier and 2 to 3 times if its later say 9pm, you may want to knock the cereal before bed off too as this could be causing a problem with gas etc.

a full tummy doesn't always help them sleep and could be causing discomfort?
my ds definately still needs a feed at night s he wakes at diffwerent times and will drain a full bottle

good luck
Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline headinoz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Madeleine Jan 12 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 21:41:33 pm »
Just wanted you to know you're not alone!  My DD is 5 1/2 months old and still has a dream feed and one other feed at night. We put her to bed between 700 and 730 and have found that pretty helpful.  She is still up and down some though... I think it's pretty normal at this age for babies to need to eat at night.  My doctor says 9 months is the "magic" age when they don't need to eat at night anymore.  I think it really depends on the baby!

Here's to both of us and our LO's getting more sleep soon!

Heather

Offline sleeplessinN.C.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 01:05:33 am »
Thank you for responding it is nice to know that were not the only sleep challenged duo out there it seems like everyone else has been sleeping on through for 2 months

Offline macsmum

• Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 07:58:20 am »
hello again,
well for the last 2 nights after i have fed my ds he has not settled back to sleep straight away he has been playing in his cot so after 10 mins last night i thought bugger this i propped his door open and turned the landing light on,(i know sort of breaks the rules) but hey i fell asleep and he must of gone back to sleep on his own.i did this twice.
so tonight i am gonna try and not feed him i may even just prop the door open when i put him down and see if he wakes less? gotta be worth a try, i only propped it open about 1 inch just enough to let a bit of light in.
ill try anything at the minute.
he self soothes in the day for naps and to go to bed at night so he should be able to do it during the night?
perhaps if when he wakes at 3 am and its not pitch black he will just play and go of on his own again without mum even getting out of bed ;D well i can dream. i mean its got to be a bit scary when your so little waking up and you cant even see your own hands ???
Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 16:35:46 pm »
Don't worry ladies, it's actually fairly rare for a lo to be sleeping through the night with no wakings that soon. I know it can seem like everyone but you is, but that's definitely not the case. My lo didn't sleep through until 7.5 months!  ::)  ::)

sleeplessinN.C., I have some suggestions for you, and questions. Is your lo really up at 6:30/7:30 and then stays awake until noon??? This is faaaarrrr too long for a 5 month old. If I'm reading your routine right, then he's definitely in a cycle of overtiredness that needs to be broken. Plus, like macsmum says, the cereal twice a day may be causing stomach upset and/or cramping. Did the doc suggest you start cereal? If not, then I would stop it now and see if that helps. If you really want to continue it, then give it only in the morning and not at night so that if it is causing trouble then he's got the day to get it out of his system so he can sleep better at night. It's a myth that the cereal will help them sleep better - it doesn't have much in terms of calories so it doesn't sustain them. It can often just make things worse.

And speaking of your doctor, frankly that's absurd that s/he would tell you that you shouldn't need to feed in the night still and you should do CIO.  >:(  >:(   Many los still need a night feed for quite some time, some until they're 12 mo even. At 5 months you should still be doing a night feed, it would be unusual if you weren't, so don't worry about that. And as for the CIO, that's definitely not the way to go. Studies have shown that it breaks the trust between parent and child, and it's way harder than sleep training. I think your ped. needs to update his/her training!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline sleeplessinN.C.

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 03:23:11 am »
You all are godsends  :-* It is so nice to hear that and yes he really is up between 6:30/7:30 and doesn't usually nap until 12 or like today napped around 11 awoke 20 min later and didn't sleep until around 1:30. I was only giving him cereal in the am but my WIC lady told me am and pm I didn't give him the pm cereal last night, didn't seem to make much of a difference. Again Thank you everybody!