Author Topic: 11mth old sleep problem  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Lisamack

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 25, 2006, 15:11:33 pm »
Hi I need help with my boy Cameron who since having a cold has adopted a bad sleeping habit.

How old is your child?
11mths
What’s his/her daily routine?
7:00am wake
bottle
8:45am breakfast weetbix and fruit
9:30am sleep
11:00am bottle
activity
12:00pm lunch sandwich and fruit
1:00pm sleep
3:00pm bottle
activity
5:00pm dinner meat and veges
7:00pm bottle and bed
What’s nap routine? How long are naps?
naps during the day are good, goes down very well, started sleeping 2hrs plus last two days and have woken him in the hope that he will sleep through the night, normally sleeps 1 1/2 hrs.
What's bedtime routine? Time?
bedtime usually good, sometimes a bit unsettled 7:00pm
Do you bottle or breastfed??
bottle
How much? or how long?
4 bottles 240mls, last few days only half finishes morning and afternoon bottles
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
How many wakes per night?
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
2hrs cries, sometimes doesn't want to be held, tonight he wants to be held??? he seems to be sleepy but cries as soon as you put him down. Sometimes he wants to play, he's wide awake???
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
Mantra cry
What have you tried to settle??
bottle, shush pat, nursing him, music
What do you do for A time and how long is it?
Walker, books, toys
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
1 top tooth is trying to come through but he has been relatively good with his other 3 teeth
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
cereal doesn't sit well with him it makes him puke, have tried it many times, he has weetbix and fruit of a morning
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
dummy
Do they have a lovie?
yes
Please help we don't really know what else to try. We have been spoilt because he normally sleeps through, but this cold seems to have put a spanner in the works.
Thanks for your help
Lisa
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 15:19:48 pm by Lisamack »

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 11mth old sleep problem
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 15:21:22 pm »
i would def let lo mantra cry to see if he will settle himself. go to him when/if it reaches the all out  ' i need you now mommy' cry.

your A time looks a bit short for an 11 month old. i would try extending it a bit as it seems the first am A time is 2.5 hrs - i would go to 2.75hrs or so (slowly of course 15 min at a time eveyr few days), the second it seems from what i can tell is only 2 hrs..as the day goes on the A times should get longer so i would say you could slowly stretch to about 3hrs (give or take whatever your lo can handle)..lo will be tired as he is used to going down at the 'regular' times so keep that extra A time very lowkey so not to overstimulate him or get him overtired in anyway. this should help with the NW. also - you may want to shorten the first nap some - if it is two hrs it may be a little long...there are sample routines in the easy forum for lo's of all ages - it might help you get a better idea if you take a look :)

hth!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Lisamack

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 23:31:31 pm »
Thanks for that, I will try to extend his play times, he does seem very tired around these times, but I guess he will get used to it. One more question, is it ok to wake him? I feel so bad waking him up at 11:00am after he has had a 1 1/2 hour sleep and he is still sound asleep, could this be also keeping him awake at night, the extra sleep I mean?
Thanks again Lisa  :)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 11mth old sleep problem
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 05:45:13 am »
i pretty much always (unless lo wasn't feeling well) woke my lo after about 2 hrs of naptime if she hadn't woken herself. i would just do it gently though - open the door, hum , make some extra noise...so she would kinda wake herself kwim?!

getting too much day sleep can def affect night wakings..just as overtiredness/overstimulated...not enough sleep. it is all just a big balancing act - and there is no answer set in stone as all lo's are very different...how are things now?? any progress?

sorry i haven't responded sooner - i have been away and just got back.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005