Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
What would you do?
« on: June 27, 2006, 17:10:22 pm »
I'm having a minor outpatient surgery tomorrow. I will be under general anesthetic, though, so will probably be pretty groggy afterwards. The whole thing will take about 4 hours.

My LO is 6  months old and has not had any babysitters before now.  ::) Both my DH and I work from home, so when either of us needs to do something, the other one watches him. All of our relatives live out of state.

I'm going to hire a 14 year old neighbor girl to help out tomorrow. I'm probably going to have her come over for an hour today so LO can get to know her. Here's my question: would you leave LO alone with her while DH is at the hospital during the surgery? He'd probably be gone for 2 hours. Normally, I'd have the babysitter go with LO and DH to hospital where she could keep him occupied so my DH would have less to worry about. But my surgery just happens to occur right when his afternoon nap typically begins. He doesn't nap anywhere but his crib anymore. We can't even get him to sleep in the car now!

So, do I leave this babysitter I don't even know alone with my son during his nap - he'll probably wake up before DH gets home - or do I have her go with DH and LO to hospital and have an overtired baby on my hands the rest of the day?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 01:03:51 am »
That's a tough call.  Do you know the sitter's parents (and trust them)?  Are there any adults nearby to call in case of emergency? 
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 01:08:39 am »
Personally I would be fine with that. Its a matter more of how YOU feel. If you feel this person can handle things for a few hours then it should be fine. Make sure you have a contact # for them, written instructions for routine and such, and make sure you feel comfortable. Its not a bad thing to leave your child for a few hours. Its good for you both. :)

Kimberly