Author Topic: anyone used goats milk?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline nattyc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:53:26 pm »
my lo is 41/2 months, diagnosed "colic" at 2 weeks, then reflux. have tried omneo comfort (gave uncomfortable diarroah and constant squirming) nutramagen (refused to drink) sma gold with infant gaviscon currently but is screaming when passing wind, which is constantly! A friend has advised she knows a friend who tried goats milk with huge success but looking up info Dept of Health does not recommend it.
Has anyone had any success with goats milk? Does anyone know of disadvantages of using?
am desperate to find something which helps him to be comfortable!!
much thanks
x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: anyone used goats milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:56:51 pm »
Hi there. It's true that goat's milk is no longer recommended for babies as it doesn't have all the nutrients they need and also because many babies who react to milk proteins also react to goat's milk - it's usually the animal proteins they are reacting to and not the lactose or anything like that. My father and DH"s mother were both on it as babies as they had milk allergies and they are perfectly fine and healthy, but ...

Have you tried Alimentum instead of Nutramigen? Many find that the Ready to Feed version of Alimentum tastes better than Nutramigen. What makes you suspect that the colic/reflux is related to milk intolerance? Is your LO on medication for the reflux?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline nattyc

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:33:19 am »
hi
thanks for info, didnt realise that there were nutrients missing from goats milk, my Health Visitor advised there was'nt but i am quickly finding out that HVs dont know everything!!
my HV advises that lo has an intolerance to milk due to reactions, diarroah, pain passing wind etc.  lo is on infant gaviscon for reflux but i have tried him off it for last 2 days as the sma lactose free formula is giving him firm bowel movements and adding the gaviscon is making him constipated which is making the pain worse!
have not tried alimentum as HV (again!) advises all hypoallergenic formulas are similar in taste and action but if evidence shows differant i will go back and push this one. am desperate to try anything, he has had such a rough morning today things seem to be getting worse. dont know whether to try goats milk to see if any differant but dont want lo to be missing out on stuff.
thanks
xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 11:57:03 am »
I would DEFINITELY try the Alimentum before goat's milk. We had very good success with it. The ready to feed formulation worked much better for us than the powder.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline laphma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 11:16:02 am »
Hi
My baby had a realy runny nose (it ended up in her tummy which made her sick and it was in her poo) I swapped her onto Nanny Goats Formula when she was about 3 months which she tolerated well but the dietician was not happy about it and put her on to Nutramigen which takes awful. Not surprised your babe wouldn't drink it.  Mine thrived well on it though.  It may not be fully licenced here but according to my osteopath it is advertised in the British Medical Journal every issue (that's got to say something).  Once they get to 6 months they can go onto Soya which worked for us.  She's still on it now.  Good Luck

Offline Julian2006

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 13:21:15 pm »
My lactation consultant/nurse advised against goat's milk as it is high in particulate matter and is therefore a bit hard on the kidneys, but my naturopath advised us to use it as goats are smaller than cows so their milk is better for babies as it is closer to human milk - she used it with all four of her children.  Just be sure it is the highest fat contant (3.25% I think).  NOTHING has everything in it that your baby needs, except for breastmilk.  Formula's are full of preservatives, so we decided to use something more natural and went with goat's milk.  Julian likes it, as long as it isn't cold, and we have had no problems when he does drink it (not often).