Author Topic: 1 yo sleep...all was perfect...now walking..sep. anxiety...molars and a cold!  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Just before i read your last paragraph i was about to suggest switching to one nap. Somewhere in the middle of all this turmoil, he might have grown enough and just get ready to that. Specially if the long time settling is jsut for  naps and he's ok going down at night. For what is worth, i think you've done a great damage control, cause you've been able to provide him the environment and routines needed to get a good sleep. And all the diseases and teething have threathened your sleep training but you've done such a consistant and great job!!!!!

Now, if you're feeling it's time to switch to one nap (i have that feeling too), i would recommend you to slowly increase his awake time, and see how much Andy can hold without getting overtired. Try with 15 mins increments of awake time before each nap and if he does fine, you can even try 30 or 45 mins. Try to offer him a snack at the time he would usually start getting ready to go down. That should provide him enough energy to hold on for longer awake time periods and hopefully push the schedule in a way that the second nap will vanish till it dissapears. Meantime, don't fight naps, especially the second one. Try this to gradually become a catnap, be it at the stroller, car, etc trying that he goes down easily and for shorter periods.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any comments/doubts/thoughts on this. CONGRATULATIONS again for your hard work! i promise you're just about to turn a corner, with all the molars out and a great sleep training process on its way to finish! HANG ON!!!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Andys mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Ok...thought I would let you know how we are getting on.

First of all I would like to thank you Florencia so much for your advice and kind words...I really think I would have lost it if I had not had this support!!!!!

On Friday we decided it was time for one nap.  I kept Andy up until 10.50 and he was clearly tired.......went through his usual routine and fell asleep in seconds....the good news is that he slept for 1hr 50mins.  He was really tired in the afternoon so we went to be at 6.15pm.......you will not believe that he slept through until 7.01am!!!!  Off to a good start.  Saturday and sunday we pretty much stuck to the same routine and he again slept through...until 6.15 (this was his normal wake up time before all of this started).  On Monday we had mothers group at 9...perfect opportunity for distraction....unfortunately he fell asleep in the pram on the way home...a 20 minute walk.....I put him in his cot when we got home...however he only slept for 45 minutes...needless to say he went to bed at 6pm....woke up at 11.15pm...but it was his teeth...we tried to settle him for 30mins to no avail......but like clock work...as soon as he had panadol he was asleep in 20 minutes...

Yesterday we lasted until 11am and slept for 2 and a half hours......woke up during the night for 1/2 hr at 1am...but this was definitely his teeth....

So today was play group...he loves it...now he is walking well it tires me out keeping up with him.  I had to hurry home (actually I carried him and pushed the pram because I didn't want him to fall asleep) and he was in bed by 11.15am.....we will see how long he naps for.

I have been reading some of the other posts (I'm glad we are not alone!!!) and I am working towards a noon nap over the next few weeks.

Oh the other thing that I have been doing is taking him for a walk in the pram late afternoon when he has been tired and grumpy....giving him the perfect opportunity to go for a nap if he wanted it....I've done it 3 times and he hasn't fallen asleep once....so I figure we are on the right track.

Sleep wise I am still staying with him and putting my hand on him...in the evenings we are even getting to lie down on the floor next to him....but if I'm honest he is so exhausted he is just shutting his eyes and going to sleep.

Thanks again for your support....Andy's Mum

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
YAY this sounds AWESOME! Im so proud of you!!!!!!! ;D ;D (and of course, of Andy!)

Seems that you guys are on the right track. My guess is that once he's done with the teething, you'll need to spend a lot less time with your hand ond his back. I bet he wants to be with you and be cuddled, cause the pain turns them clingy. You've managed it great and it will pay off in the months to come.

COngratulations again!!!!!! i love success stories and I hope many moms can benefit from your testimony!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake