Author Topic: Is this new routine ok?  (Read 925 times)

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Is this new routine ok?
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:49:37 am »
I recently adjusted my 11wk LOs routine from 2.5-3hr Easy to 3-3.5hr easy. I did this cos he was getting fussy at each feed, acting like he wasn't really hungry. He was also sleeping very well at night - starting to manage 8-10 hr stretch after bedtime (with no dreamfeed since we can't get him to take it).

There are two issues with our new routine
a) he can only handle a max of 65min awake, including his feeds (15mins)
b) he's a 45min napper

What I've been doing is this

7 wake and feed
awake rest of 65min
nap 45min
awake btwn 20-30mins
nap 45min (though this can be hard to settle)

10:30 wake and feed
awake rest of 45-60min
nap 45min
awake for about 45min
nap 45min

2:00 wake and feed
awake rest of 50-60min (today he only managed 30!)
nap 45min
wake - but I give him paci and he goes back to sleep
nap 90min (if he has paci it sometimes helps thru transition, otherwise I replace it)

5:00 wake and feed
awake rest of 50mins ish
nap 45mis
6:45 bath
7:10 bedtime feed
7:30ish beditme

3-5am feed

we've been doing this for 5-6 days

(before he had feeds at 7am, 9am, 12, 3, 5:30, 7pm so I only dropped the 9am and brought the 12, 3 and 5:30ones a little earlier)

Problem is, I don't know if I should be making him go back to sleep after his morning 45min naps, rather than getting him up. I don't get him up in the afternoons, but try to get him back to sleep with the paci. I just worry that if I let him sleep all morning (considering he has such short awake times) then he'll be getting too much sleep in 24hrs and will start mucking up his nights. But he is getting cranky more often and easily. (Though this may have started before I changed his routine) - he seemed to be handling less awake time than a couple of weeks ago (10mins or so). Anyway, now he's often cranky when I wake him for feeds and as you can see doesn't last long till he's fussing for his next nap again. I get the feeling he could last even longer between feeds since I'm always waking him for feeds and even if he's awake, he's not making hungry noises. Also he often spits up after his dayfeeds, and it's often cheesy, as though it was left over from his last feed? But I've read that he should be 4 months before I move him to 4hr easy.

Anyway, what do you think I need to tweak to make him less cranky during his awake times, and perhaps last a bit longer awake?
Anna

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: Is this new routine ok?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 13:20:51 pm »
My DD could only stay awake for 45mins-1hr. 

You should always settle him back to sleep so he takes 1.30hrs at least.  I know with my DD it always took about 20mins to settle back to sleep when she woke up at the 45 min mark.  You are just teaching him how to go through to the next sleep cycle. At this stage sleep begets sleep. 

If you follow the 3hr EASY, since your DS can be awake for an 1hr, you will want to him to sleep 1.30-1.45hrs, don't let him go past 2hrs sleeping.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline MackMum

• Our little family
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Is this new routine ok?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 21:04:06 pm »
Thankyou - what happens if I let him sleep (well, if by some miracle I can get him to sleep that long) for btwn 2-2.5hrs in a stretch during the day?
Anna