Author Topic: How do I extend 5-7am wakings?  (Read 865 times)

Offline Silas Mum

• Allison Vancouver, BC CANADA
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« on: June 28, 2006, 17:22:03 pm »
My LO is 3 months old and here is his routine :

E - 700-715am (6 oz. formula) - this is the only feed of the day that he struggles with.
A - 1 hour & 25 minutes (he will start freaking out if any longer)  We've fine tuned this, as per the nice lady Stacy on the naps forum. 
S - naps are ALWAYS EXACTLY 30 minutes & then he wakes, but not with crying.  Sometimes he'll go back to sleep after being rocked and patted and given a soother.  Sometimes I have to put him in his bouncy chair with the vibrator on & he'll take a 10 minute nap.  We've been trying W2S consistently for the past week at every naptime and it hasn't worked yet.  Sometimes he's just up and I'll put him in his bouncy chair and he'll watch me with my household routine.  He goes down for naps in a darkened room, with the radio to static, in his crib -- it takes him no longer than 2-5 minutes to be asleep.

E - 1000-1015am (6oz. formula)
A - same as above
S - same as above

E - 100-115pm (6 oz. formula)
A - same as above
S - same as above

E - 400-415pm (6oz. formula)
A - same as above
S - same as above

E - 700-715pm (6 oz. formula)
A - bath & cuddle
S - usually asleep by 800pm at latest

DF - 3 oz. formula @ 1000-1015pm

LO might stir once or twice during the night, but nothing major.  He was waking up at 200am, habitualy, but after 4 nights of W2S, it was solved.  For the last month he's been stirring (will only cry if left too long to stir) at 500am (give or take 5 minutes) and we go in and give him the soother and pat him.  10 minutes later he starts fussing again.  This goes on until 645am.  Then he sleeps solid for 15 minutes or 1/2hr and then he's up and smiling in his crib.  So, my question is why is he stiring at 500am and should we do W2S at 400am?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  Allison in Victoria, BC

Offline joyfulmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 16:49:45 pm »
Hi,

I have the same problems at night with my lo and he is also 3 mo old.  So I am curious to see what the moderator has to say.  W2S never worked for my lo naps and I never tries it at night,  But his naps have been extending little by little.  I have started letting him cry for about 2-5 minutes when he wakes early from a nap, then I put in the soother and he goes back to sleep for at least another hour.  It's almost like he needs the fussy time to calm down.

As for nights, mine too wakes at 5:00...another friend of mine told me its a 3 month thing and to let him fuss..but I don't agree and can't do that at 5:00 in the morning.

Thanks
Stacey

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: How do I extend 5-7am wakings?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 23:38:41 pm »
Allison, we're practically neighbors. I love Victoria! I'm just north of Seattle.

Anyway, I think you're doing fantastic at 3 months! We were far worse of than you are at that point, but that's another story.  ;)  I think your routine looks pretty good. Are you not doing a night feed other than a DF? Not that that's bad necessarily, just unusual.

Before you try W2S at 4:00am, I think that you need to work on extending those naps. They should definitely be longer than 30 minutes, and good daytime sleep equals good nighttime sleep. What happens when he wakes after 30 minutes? You said he's not crying, but what's he doing? He's too young yet for PU/PD, but have you tried sshhh/pat?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o