Author Topic: Eek....another dilemma!!!  (Read 890 times)

Offline onesock

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Eek....another dilemma!!!
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:03:16 am »
Okay, I'm sorry for asking so many questions when I haven't even started WI/WO yet.  I just really want to get this right.  The teething is done for now and I'm not going to worry about the learning to walk situation right now.  But two more things have come up:

In 13 days, I have to be away from DD from about 6pm to midnight.  Her bedtime is usually 8pm.  Should I start WI/WO now and hope that my mom (who will be watching her) will be able to get DD to sleep without me here that one night?  What if I haven't been successful by the time this evening comes up?  Will I ruin everything by going away for one evening and then have to start all over again?  Or should I just wait until after that evening to begin WI/WO?

Also, we will be moving in September (3 months).  How do you think this will impact our situation? 

I'm not worried so much about moving because it is far enough away that the sleeping should be fixed by then.  I KNOW I can't wait until after the move to fix this.  But I'm not sure if I should start immediately or wait until I'll be home for 3 or 4 weeks straight so that I don't mess up the "plan".  DD is Touchy/Grumpy, so I know this will likely take longer than 2 weeks.  I may have to get her sleeping in the crib first and then slowly move myself out of her room.  Then after sleep is all fixed, I have to wean her off the breast!!!  Talk about a bumpy road ahead  :(

Any input would be appreciated a lot.  I promise I will post our progress in hopes that we can help someone else like those before us have help me (if I ever get started).  Thanks.
Sonia

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Eek....another dilemma!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 17:00:43 pm »
Hi Sonia,

My philosophy towards sleep training is always better sooner than later. The sooner you start, the more time you'll have to enjoy you're hard work once the goal is achieved. If things are still bumpy by that night you have to be away (or any other night you don't feel so well to try it etc) you just have to make sure someone's on board to do things exactly the way you do. Lo might put up some resistance at first, just to check if grandma or whoever it is is taking care of her is on board to but once she figures out that things are not changing, she'll settle.

As for the moving I think that every big change comes with some sleep disturbances but once you've got the hold on the "fixing" method, it shouldn't take long to do it. Every now and then an illness, a particularly busy week, a milestone or just the phases of the moon send the sleep to the trash but once you know how to deal with it, it's less stressing on you and lo's know the way back too and it takes shorter periods to go back on track.

Your plan sounds perfect to me. I'd suggest that you might want to try the independent sleep training at the same time as the weaning so she knows what to expect at night. If you keep offering the boob she'll keep on waking for it. It is up to you and I'm not trying to say when you should wean but i've seen more success on those cases where the sleep training is done at the same time than the weaning.

Of course we'll be here for you during this process. Let us know how we can help.
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline onesock

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Eek....another dilemma!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 17:50:35 pm »
That's a very good point about weaning at the same time.  I think I will do just that.  Thank you so much for your advice.  It makes perfect sense now that I've heard it from someone who has been there!  Now I just have to prepare mentally and hopefully I will be ready tonight.