Author Topic: !0 Month Old Awake - A Lot!!!  (Read 961 times)

Offline littlefish

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: June 29, 2006, 20:22:44 pm »
Hi - We have a 10 month old who wakes from between 3 and 8 times a night (every 45 minutes). I fully acknowledge that I created this problem by always feeding him in the night whenever he cried but now I need help!! My plan is to reduce him to one feed a night and then slowly reduce the time of that feed. My two worries are - that I breastfeed and it is really hard to reduce his feed since he's such an efficient eater and sometimes when he wakes between 4-5am if he doesn't eat he won't go back to sleep even if he's super tired. How do I survive getting up all night with him and then still putting him back to sleep at that time when I'm so tired.  I don't think the water method will work because drinking water is such a new thing for him, I think he will think it's play time. We don't have a solid daytime routine because he has recently switched from most days only taking one nap and he also didn't really take a liking for solid food until about a month ago so we are still trying to work out when to feed him. I have read some other postings from people with a similiar issue but I just need some reassurance that this is the right way to tackle this.

How old is your child?
10 months

What’s his/her daily routine?
Wake up 5:30 - 8
bf immediatley upon wake up  breakfast (rice cereal and pears) about 45 minutes later
activity for about 2 hours
try to feed solids (rice cereal and fruit and a veggy) sometimes he takes it, sometimes not
11am bf
11:30 - 12:30 put down for nap - he will usually sleep for 2 - 3 hours
activity
dinner 5:30
activity
6:45 bath, story time, bf
7:30 bed

What’s nap routine?
Mostly down to one nap a day, he tends to cry for a bit when we go into his room but settles if I hold him for about a minute. I usually have to go back in about 3 times before he settles right down.

How long are naps?
2 - 3 hours

What's bedtime routine? Time?
bath, storytime, bf 7:30 bed

Do you bottle or breastfed??
bf

How much? or how long?
4 times during day (I try to stick to 4 hr as much as possible - usually 7, 11, 3, 7:30)
during the night - 1 to 4 times (I usually try not to fee him until after 1pm)

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
both sides during day (he switches back and forth) one side at night

How many wakes per night?
3 - 8

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
Fussing

What have you tried to settle??
holding him, pu/pd (I think I hold him for too long though

What do you do for A time and how long is it?
he plays, we play, move from to room, climb stairs, go for walks, play group

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?
teething and starting to stand independently - getting ready to take first step

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
always uses the same blankets but doesn't seem that attached

Do they have a lovie?
?

Thanks kindly for suggestions...I'm so tired!
s

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: !0 Month Old Awake - A Lot!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 22:40:09 pm »
littlefish, you said that he's fussing when he wakes but not crying. What happens if you don't go in?

And don't worry, you are definitely right to wean those night feeds. He may still need one, and that's fine if he does, but he shouldn't be eating so much at night. Some BFing people have weaned nights feeds but just decreasing the number of minutes that the lo feeds, that might work for you.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Nadia's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My Little Angel
Re: !0 Month Old Awake - A Lot!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 20:19:00 pm »
My 5 month old daughter was having the same problem of waking up every 45 mins (I thought I was going to lose my mind) :'(. We're not out of the woods yet but here are a couple of things I tried that seemed to help. I first weaned her off of her pacifier which although she didn't wake up if it fell out of her mouth while she was asleep but when she did wake up she wanted it back in her mouth. It took about 3 days to get her use to no pacifer (and alot of cuddling from me). I also moved up her bedtime from 7:30 to about 6:00 which she took to very well. This also helped me because when she would wake up the first few times I was already awake so it wasn't so hard for me. She would usually settle all the way down by 9:00 and would sleep til at least 2:00 which was a blessing for me. She still wakes up 3 to 4 times now but hopefully they will always be in the early part of the night. This is as much as I've been able to do to get her to sleep more at night. If you come across any other suggestions please forward them to me.

Hope the best for you and yours!!
Thanks,

Patricia