Author Topic: Sippy Cup Issues  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Sippy Cup Issues
« on: June 30, 2006, 00:25:25 am »
Hi all

I have been giving dd a sippy cup since she started solids at 6 months old. She is now 8.5 months and STILL DOESN"T GET IT ::)  I bought her the Nuby sippy cup with the rubber spout, like a bottle, thinking she would take to it better than one of the hard spouts.  I even bought one with a straw (Yes, I have A LOT of sippy cups!)  She doesn't get the straw, bites the nuby one and doesn't like the hard spout ones :-\

Anyway, she knows how to hold on to it, put it in her mouth, but she still doesn't get that she needs to tip it so she can get the formula/water/juice out.  So, I help her tip it and then she lets go and lets me do it for her :P :P

I am not sure what else to do to try and help her along?  Should she be getting it by now, or should I just let her keep at it?  Also, should i not help her with it at all??

TIA!

Aleisha

Offline Helena

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:26:49 pm »
Hi,

I also started with a sippy cup at around the same time as solids and it really was a long time before my BB got it.  She's now 9.5 mo and able to hold the sippy cup correctly and get some water from it.  All changed dramatically when I started to let the water cool inthe kettle, rather than pour the boiling water in the sippy cup and let it cool there.  Tasting it I realised afterwards that the plastic gives off something that interferes with the taste of the water, making it seem stale.  So now i'm cooling before decanting. 

I also found that she just did not get it when she had to do any work to get the water out, so have been using a tommee tippy or boots cup with one hole and no valve.  It does make for a bit of wet mess when shaken about as it is not non-drip, but at least she gets it.

The current difficulty is trying to persuade her to take milk from a sippy cup.  This is practice for one day whe I wean her off the breast and while she takes a few sips, it is never more than a couple of ounces of milk.  I'm hoping that this will just take some practice...

Regards
Helena

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Re: Sippy Cup Issues
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 15:38:58 pm »
Aleisha - We're still working with Katie on this.  Haven't been very consistent, but I took the no-drip valves out of the cups cuz she wasn't sucking or getting anything out of them, so I thought she was thinking of them as a toy.  It is messy - even with a bib - but she is finally starting to realize that stuff comes out and she's taken a couple of mouthfuls from it and swallowed without letting it run out her mouth or spitting it out.  I'm going to take another cup to daycare and ask them to step up the effort.  I find that they are incredibly consistent and that makes it easier on me!  We have several sippys as well and find that the soft spout Gerber's work the best so far.  I'd read about the Nuby's and got a couple of those, but Katie hasn't figured them out yet.  I just can't bring myself to spend more money on a straw cup. 
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 17:06:29 pm »
We have several different cups.  The one that she decided to use is the one that daycare provides.  Plain cup with a hard slender spout. Of course, not one easily found in the stores.   ::)  Sooo, I wound up ordering from Tupperware.  Luckily, she uses those as well.  So what does everyone do with all the sippy cups that the kids won't use?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 17:45:06 pm »
Sorry if I'm intruding but a mom on here helped me with M and her sippy straw cup. We had started her with a sippy at 6 months btw.  We initally had spout sippys but she couldn't figure out how to lift them up (even at 8+ months) so (and you have to tilt them pretty far) she could get water; same as your lo's. So i bought her a straw sippy cup (they are a bit harder to find). What i did was this-

put water in teh cup then suck on teh straw to fill it and plug the end.
Put the end you have plugged into babes mouth and let them try to suck it (which they usually do with anything in their mouth) and let go of the other end so they get the water!~!

M took 1 day and got it and now drinks from any straw :) ;D
HTH
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline ErinGP

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:45:33 am »
My ds is 7 1/2 mos and also won't drink out of the sippy cup, but always wanted to drink out of my cup when I was drinking. We finally gave in and just let him use a normal cup, but only in the kitchen. He drinks out of it well, but I have to make sure I take it away as soon as he gets enough to drink or he starts to play with it. It's messy, but I don't find it much worse than the sippy without the no-spill thing and at least he's getting enough to drink!

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 02:21:58 am »
Erin - My DD likes to drink out of our cups, bottle, etc. too and she doesn't do too bad!  I agree that it's no messier than a sippy with the no-drip valve removed.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt