Author Topic: Advice Please! (almost) 3 year old won't go to sleep alone!  (Read 5095 times)

Offline sadieavc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My son is 32 months.  He will not go to sleep by himself, he needs either myself or DH to lay next to him until he falls asleep.  And if he should happen to wake in the middle of the night he will scream (out of fear) for one of us.

I can't do any of the "I'll be back in 5 mins." etc because as soon as I leave the room he will either start calling for me or if I shut the door, start screaming like he is being attacked by wolves.

I have tried moving away from him in the bed and he cries and scoots closer to me - so I am not thinking the mattress on the floor idea would work.  If anyone has any tips or suggestions on that idea, please let me know.

I would love to be able to tuck him in bed and be able to shut the door and have him fall asleep since I also have a 11 week old to tend to.

Thanks!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Advice Please! (almost) 3 year old won't go to sleep alone!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 04:38:06 am »
The key with a 32 mo, is to tell them what you are doing & not at bed time but at another time of the day.
So say with our son, when we make changes to the bedtime routine (say dh or me not being home) we talk about it during the day & explain what will happen... we have been doing that since he was 2yo
So you start off by saying tonight at bed time you will sit on a chair next to him until he falls asleep & when he is asleep you will go to your own bed... the same will happen when he wakes at night. then when he gets upset, you say "remember we talked about it, Mummy is here... you then DON'T give in EVER, be prepared for some backlash, but the key is for him to learn that you are consistent with what you say & do. Then once he is comfortable with that, you move further away etc... but you can't do it & then cave in, as that just shows him he needs to try harder for you to cave like you did last time.
He is also probably feeling left out by having a younger sibling, so it is also important to give him as much time as you can in the day... get him involved in being your helper in everything possible, try to give him one -on one time, even doing special activities to show he is just as important now the new sibling is here.
In the day time always keep promises when you leave the room & then at night do exactly what you have told him you will do.
When you get to a stage you can leave the room with him awake, make agreements with him as to what you will do... eg tell him you will check on him when you go to bed & do it.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline sadieavc

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 04:44:41 am »
Thanks, we do tell him earlier when things will be different, ie once his granpa went to sleep with him because we had to be out, we prepared him the whole week before and he was pretty ok with it (went to sleep), I guess we just need to figure out a method of "weaning" and do it.

I don't know if it will work but I have to try.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:25:16 am »
Honestly it may take an hour (possibly more) of you sitting there & telling him that like you said earlier you won't be lying in bed with him... the older they get & the more used to habits they get, the harder it is & the more consistent we as parents need to be... there have been many times I've wished for a "magic" solution, but I've worked out that if I say OK this is going to be hard, this, this & this could happen & it will take 1-2hours etc, then I am less likely to cave... when I want something to happen the way I want it on "my time frame" that is when it ends up being so much harder.

Some children are "stronger willed" than others & I have one & it took a lot of effort to get him to the point where we read stories & he goes off to sleep... one thing we do when things are harder is read more stories... giving him a longer wind-down when there is a change seems to help... so try a slight change in the pre-bed routine to give him a bit more of your time.

I think the fact he accepeted his Grandpa, says that A LOT about this is you caving when he requests you to stay, (I know I often don't have the strength for the battle) so he has learnt he just has to fight harder to get you to cave to what he is used to.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05