Author Topic: help with easy for 4 week old  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
help with easy for 4 week old
« on: June 30, 2006, 03:41:55 am »
can't seem to work out what is going on, after a very unsettled afternoon evening yesterday with no sleep, woke at 3.15 pm and never went back to sleep until after 8 pm, when i woke her at 11.15 pm for df she only took a small amount i think, hard to tell any way then she wakes at 1.45am well that is less than 2 hours so i tried to shh/pat no success, fed her at 2.00pm, she woke again at 5.15 for a feed and then again at 8.40am and then only slept from 10.40am till 11.25am and is still awake at 1.25 pm, she is quiet just has her eyes open, what am i doing wrong? i have fed her, changed her, taken her to her room before 45minutes, held her for 5-10 minutes put her in the bassinet, sat with her shh/pat, picked her up when she has been really crying hard, this has been going on for day, since monday, what have i done wrong? i am so tired already, any words of encouragement would be appreciated, oh and what do i do when she goes to sleep, just checked seems asleep, eyes closed, do i wake her at the 3 hour make after it taking her so long to go to sleep or should i let her sleep until she wakes, this makes it that she has been awake for just over 2 hours  :-\ :-\ ??? ???

Offline gracie3

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: help with easy for 4 week old
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 15:41:44 pm »
I'm sorry you are having a hard time!  around 4-6 weeks always were the hardest for us . . . babies are unsettled, staying awake more.  Just remember- this too shall pass!
As for her routine, Her night wakings seem normal to me, mine was still waking every 2-3 hours at that age- but I'm no expert!  I don't have any suggestions for the hard to get to sleep part, except maybe try even earlier to head towards bed.  both of my dds would wake, eat for about 30 minutes, then diaper change then start yawning- always back in bed at 45 minutes, not just winding down.  I also never did pat-shhh, never worked for us, but i would do wind down, swaddle, give binky, hold for just a minute, then lay her down and leave the room.  I would have to come back in 4,5, or 6 times, and replace binky or pick up and calm, but then i'd leave again.  some naps it seemed to take forever, but it got quicker each time.  Now, at 11 weeks, I only have to go back in maybe 1 out of 10 times, and then only once.  Whatever your windown is, stick with it.  And as for waking her, at 4 weeks I wouldn't, but then again, I'm no expert.  if you let her sleep longer than a 3 hour cycle every once in a while I think its fine.  she needs a good nap to rest up from no naps earlier.  Sleep begets sleep.
I hope others have better advice for you- just remember, they reach their peak of unsettledness at around 6 weeks- you are almost there!
Gracie