Author Topic: HOW MUCH ALONE TIME SHOULD SHOULD MY BABY HAVE  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Grace's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
HOW MUCH ALONE TIME SHOULD SHOULD MY BABY HAVE
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:48:48 pm »
My lo is almost 13 weeks old (wow...time is just going by way too fast  :'().  I was just wondering your opinions on how long a baby should/can be left to play by themselves.  Just curious as to what other mom's are doing.

Thanks.
Melissa
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Re: HOW MUCH ALONE TIME SHOULD SHOULD MY BABY HAVE
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 15:25:59 pm »
I have put my baby on a play mat since day 1 and left the room so she would play by herself. SHe is the most independant baby ever!
At your lo's age she would amuse herself for at least 1/2 hour if not longer :)
She plays here in my office now, behind my, by herself off and on all day. (not saying I ignore her, just doesn't get as much interactive play).
I personally (and could be wayyyy off base here) think it is really good to foster independance in your child. So long as they know you are there for them, I think it's great for them to have alone time :)
Laura
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 21:02:41 pm »
Honestly, I think that this really, really depends on your LO's personality.  At 13 weeks I think that some babies are able to last longer on their own and some need lots more attention.  I would follow her cues and if she's content fine and if she seems to need you that's ok too.  I've also noticed that my LO goes through phases -- earlier on she was very happy to sit on her play mat by herself and be happy -- as she got older, she needed more interaction, then less, then more....at the present time, she's strolling about the upstairs of our house checking in periodically, but mostly playing by herself.  I would just follow her cues - she'll let you know if she needs you, and as long as she doesn't seem to need you every single minute of every single day, I wouldn't worry too much.

Offline newmommyl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 14:50:28 pm »
I'm so glad you asked that question, i wonder that too.  i'm afraid she's bored if i'm not interacting w/ her but i also agree whole heartedly that they need that independent time.  my dd is almost 5 mos.  and she'll sit in her bouncy seat for 30 min easily just hanging out.  I read an article on the Huggies website that said that as long as they're content it's ok to let them be, and if they look at you and smile then they are inviting you to interact.  It's hard though to decide how much time is ok.  I just try to mix it up and follow her cues--and remind myself that everyday her surroundings alone are so stimulating to her that that is sometimes all she needs. :)   

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 20:39:05 pm »
Great question! My little boy didn't seem to want to be put down at all until at he was around 10 weeks old and it was really hard work. Luckily since I realised that he needed to be put in his cot to nap (none of this keep them downstairs to get used to day time noises for Dominic!) he sleeps really well during the day (3 hour EASY, 2 hours of that is sleep) so I managed to get things done.
Suddenly at 10 weeks old he became interested in stuff so then I was able to put him down on his play mat, and now he has a baby walker which he likes, along with tummy time, this keeps him occupied for the short time he can stay awake!

Sal
x   
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07