Author Topic: Wakes up once every night...  (Read 1062 times)

Offline cachab

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 01, 2006, 13:49:33 pm »
Hi,
Anne is almost 1 year old and she wakes up almost every night.
Her daily routine is:
Wakes up around 5h30 am
Breasfeed: 6 am
Breakfast: 7 am
Sleep : 9h30 (for 45-60 minutes)
Breasfeed: 11h30 am
Lunch: 12h
Sleep ( NOT ALWAYS!!):around 2 pm
Breasfeed: 3 pm
Supper : 5h30 pm
Bath: 6h45 pm
Breastfeed : 7 pm (for almost 1 hour!!)
Bed: 8 pm

When Anne wakes up in the middle of the night she yells ! We can't put her to sleep unless my husband rocks her or unless 1 breastfeed ( my husband takes care of Anne during the night )
If he rocks her, it takes about 5 minutes to put her to sleep. If not, she can cry for long.
If i put her to bed when she is not asleep,  she cries for an hour- during that time i go to see her every 5 minutes or i put my head on her belly and i try to confort her without taking her in my arm. It seems that the cries never stop and amplify if i let her cry !

I guess ( ...i know!) that Anne is not able to fall asleep on her own.  I want to teach her to fall asleep and i don't want to let her cry it out ! (she doesn't cry..she yells !!)

My husband can rock her and she falls easily asleep. Although it's not a solution....I can't even do that. Anne won't let me rock her unless i give her the breast....

Anyone have a suggestion ??

Note: sorry for my english...i speak french...)

THANKS !!
carole, mother of Anne

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Wakes up once every night...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 17:26:04 pm »
Anne, I think your problem is that she is used to that feed at night and she expects it. There is a sticky in the FAQ section called How I Stopped the Night Feeds with a 9 mo Old. Give that a read and it should give you some ideas on how to wean that feed.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Wakes up once every night...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 19:28:37 pm »
Check out the toddler sleep section, and walk in walk out for settling her to sleep independently at night. Looking at your schedule it looks as though she is probably overtired, this may well cause the nightwakings. If she doesn't take that second nap, you need to try and get her into bed very early to try and stop the overtiredness. If she often skips the nap, it may be worth pushing her am nap forward (hard with the early wake-up I know) to lunchtime, then she will hopefully start to nap for longer and there will be less of a gap until bedtime.

If you can stop the nightwakings at their source it will be much easier to work on independent sleep without the battle of "tired" resistance!

HTH (a bit)

Offline cachab

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 00:54:30 am »
Thanks sarah for your answer.
This method seems OK with me since i don't want Anne to cry alone !!
I understand that after a few seconds of crying, i go back in the room. i lay her down and i get out of the room.  I only go back if she cries. Can you explain what is the 5/10/15 ?? Do i always wait 5 seconds or do i add 5 seconds each time i go in the room(first time i go, i wait 5 seconds,  the second time i count to 10 and the third time,  15 seconds and so on ?)??
(sorry for the confusion...)

Also, if i try this, say at 9:30 (morning nap) and she's not sleeping at 11:30. Do i continue or do i stop and prepare  lunch and try later for her afternoon nap?? 
Thanks !!!!!
carole

Thanks !!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 14:09:35 pm by cachab »