Author Topic: how to distinguish between different types of crying  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Tuty

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how to distinguish between different types of crying
« on: June 30, 2006, 19:10:52 pm »
Two days ago, we started weaning our daughter from falling asleep at night from the feeding and during the day using the pacifier by tapping on her back. Last night she woke up after 4 hours, at 10:45 (her first stretch is usually 6-8 hours and was sometimes even 9-10). So we assumed she wasn't hungry. After 10-15 minutes of tapping on her back and trying to calm her when her cries were still continuous and loud, I decided to feed her and aparently she was very hungry (BF, I heard the sucking for about 20 minutes). I feel so awfull for letting her cry for so long when she was hungry. She woke up again at 4:45 and was hungry again (this time I fed her immediately and she ate quite a lot).

How can I tell if she's hungry when she wakes up at night? Could I assume that if she wakes up after 4 hours, than it's not that she can't put herself back to sleep on her own, but she's hungry (there were previous nights, before the weaning process, that she woke up and I immediately fed her, but she wasn't really hungry, just wanted to such)?

I don't think this is a growth spurt, as I began to notice that she doesn't eat much during the day, but eating a lot during her night wakings. I'm trying to move her to a 4 hours EASY (she's 4 months old) so that perhaps she'd be eating more during the day. Any other suggestion to make her eat more during the day and be less hungry at night?

Thanks,
Tuty

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: how to distinguish between different types of crying
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 22:11:45 pm »
Sounds like she has gotten used to eating at night rather than during the day. How old is you DD? The method of making that transition will depend a lot on age.

As far as the crying goes.... a hungry cry will usually have a coughlike quality to it. A mantra cry (their way of helping themselves get back to sleep) is very rhythmic on a specific beat.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Tuty

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: how to distinguish between different types of crying
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:15:00 am »
Our DD is 4 months old.

Thanks a lot for your response,
Tuty