Author Topic: Can't get back to sleep after late morning feed  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Can't get back to sleep after late morning feed
« on: June 30, 2006, 21:59:13 pm »
We've been working to cut out the overnight feeds and were having good success, then DD got sick and we've broght them back.  We're starting to phase them out again and she waking between 5am and 7am HUNGRY!  We've had sucess with her going back to sleep if we feed around 5am, but any later than about 5:30am and she's up for the day. 

Any thoughts on how to handle this?!? 
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Can't get back to sleep after late morning feed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 23:15:08 pm »
Hi Casey, glad to hear that you're having success with the weaning! Remind me, are you still doing a DF?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 23:51:31 pm »
The first time we weaned, we kept the DF and worked on cutting the other OverNight Feed. We used dilution/reduction method for several days and Katie got to the point of not wanting/needing the ON feed.  In fact, we went 2 days where she went for DF to breakfast bottle.  Still had a wakeup to replug the paci, but DH did that!.  ;D  She still wasn't eating her breakfast bottle really well though.  We were going to give it a few more days and then start diluting the DF and bringing it forward by 15 minute increments until she started eating her breakfast bottle, but she got the stomach flu and wouldn't eat anything.  In despation to ward of dehydration, we started up with the night feeds again.  She's eating her bottles well again (but isn't fully back on solids yet) and we want to start eliminating the DF/ON feeds again. 

I was really concerned that by diluting the DF and bringing it forward she would start waking in that awful 5am - 7am period again out of hunger.  And, while she's been sick we've had a couple of wakeups during this period and had a bugger of a time getting her back to sleep.  So, I thought we'd just cut the DF cold turkey and see when she wakes after her bedtime top-off.  It seems to be around 1/2am and genuinely hungry cuz she eat 5-6oz. (a full feed).  I was thinking that if we dilute/reduce we can extend this to 3am, then 4am, then 5am, then 6am then 7am.  Is this poor logic?  Should I use the original plan?  I guess either way we'll have wakeups during this period...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 00:20:34 am »
Are you still at work too?
 ;)

That's true, if she's sick you'll probably have wakings anyhow. You already know that the dilution method works, so I would be more inclined to go that route. But there's never any harm in trying something different!
Jessica

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 01:59:53 am »
Yes, still working but looking for something (anything!) else!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 17:12:37 pm »
Good for you - life is too short to at least not hate what you do!
Jessica