Author Topic: Waking each morning earlier...  (Read 1086 times)

Offline toriaum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Waking each morning earlier...
« on: July 01, 2006, 15:47:48 pm »
I coiuld use some help because I'm pretty confused. My lo used to sleep from 8pm - 8am.  THen we moved her to her own room 2 weeks ago and she started to wake up earlierin the morning where she would go down at 8pm nad wake up at 7am, or sometimes 6am.  I adjusted the routine to be from 7 -7 now and it seemed to be better, but she still wakes up earlier at times 6 or so. (and some nights she doesn't fall asleep till 8pm or 8:30pm - I try to put her down earlier but she fights it)  I thought maybe it was the sunlight coming through so I bought darker curtains.  ( last night was the first time we had them on and she woke up at 6am :-[)

If she woke up rested and okay to start the day, I wouldn't worry as much about the time she wakes up.  But, after she wakes up, it's a struggle to keep her awake for 2 hours of activity.  Shes 21 weeks ( if she up at 7am and feeds, it's rare that she'll make it to 9am)During the day, I can set my watch by her two hour awake periods. So the problem is if she wakes up early, then the routine is thrown off and she's ready to go to sleep earlier. But if I put her down earlier than she'll wake up the next day even earlier.  I should also mention that she occasionally wakes during the night.  not to feed, but she can't get herself back to sleep without a little shushing.  ( although this week she slept through the night twice! ;D

I'm considering making that early wake a night feeding and then starting the routine after she wakes up again?  OR I guess I could try giving her more calories in the day time, but it's really hard to make her eat any more than what she is now.  ( she's touchy when it comes to eating and she'll let you know that she's full very clearly) My dd's doctor recommended that I start her with rice cereal as she's a big girl and may not be able to sustain on breastmilk till 6 months.  We've been doing that for a little over a week, but it's just a taste so I don't see how that's going to sustain her. 

Below is the routine I'm trying to follow:
7am - wake and bf
8am - cereal
9 S ( 1.5 -2 hours)
11 - bf
1- S ( 1.5-2hours)
3pm bf
5pm cat nap 30 - 40 minutes
5:30-6pm cluster bf
6pm bath, quiet activity
7pm bf, wind down and bed

I've tried df once and she was up for two hours after it so I havn't done it again. I guess I could try it again if that may help?  ANy suggestioned are welcomed!!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Waking each morning earlier...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 17:23:52 pm »
I think that it might help to increase that cat nap to more of a real nap, like 1 hour, maybe 1 hour 15min.

We started solids as well at DS's doc recommendation. He's exceptionally big and he was absolutely ready. But you're right, it doesn't sustain them so to speak. It gives them bulk in their belly, so to speak, but there's not much for calories so it doesn't sustain them like BM or formula. It won't help them sleep better as some people think - that's a myth. You're doing well by giving her a taste and doing it in the morning.  :)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline toriaum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 16:46:23 pm »
Okay, thank you for your reply.

Usually, My dd wakes up on her own 30-40 minutes in that cat nap time.  So I should try to keep her sleeping longer?  And then bath, feed and put her down right away again?  Or should I let her do some quite time play and then go down around 7:30-8pm?

Yesterday was just awful.  She woke at 6, wouldn't go back down, I fed her at 7:00am and then she wouldn't stay awake and slept from 7:30-9am.  Wanted to eat at 10, I held her off till 10:20am and then she slept again at 11am.  The whole day was a wash and she ended up eating every 2 hours and napping 4 times each under an hour.  Then she finally went down around 8pm, but she was up 5 times between 2-6am.  I ended up feeding her at 5:45am and she took a full feed and then slept till 8am.  But at 8am, should would only eat about half and then couldn't make it 4 hours so she ate again at 11am. 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm sure this can't be normal.  ANy more adivce would be very appreciated!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 20:07:17 pm »
We all have off days once and a while, don't worry.  ;)  I think that you should start by extending that catnap and seeing how that helps.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o