How did you introduce cows milk at 1

Switched completely at 1
22 (29.7%)
Slowly started changing bottles
35 (47.3%)
Gave growing up formula first
17 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Making the transition to cows milk at 12 months  (Read 58634 times)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Making the transition to cows milk at 12 months
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2008, 21:17:43 pm »
Wow, sounds like she is doing fantastic. 

Abi is still pretty much refusing all foods  ::) Think her throat is still sore, so am not pushing it.  She just keeps on shaking those piggie tales.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2008, 22:10:35 pm »
Awww bless her little piggie tails x
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline Benz

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2008, 10:25:19 am »
Hi everyone..another way to make a switch from formular to cows milk is by gradually reducing the formular in the bottle and adding cows milk to it (25mls at a time) over a period of time.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2008, 21:13:00 pm »
We started the transition of weaning the formula by mixing it with cows milk.

Today we did:-

Morning - 6oz formula - 1oz fresh milk
Afternoon - 5oz formula - 1 oz fresh milk
Bedtime - 8 oz formula (keeping this bottle the same for now)

She did fantastic, she drank 6 oz this morning and had the rest in her cereal - did not notice any difference.  This afternoon she drained her bottle ;D

Tomorrow we are doing 2oz fresh milk.  Fingers crossed it goes well.

We are offering small amounts of milk in Sippy with meals to get her used to the sippy.  She is not happy, but hopefully will get used to it.

Once she is over her growth spurt, I am going to change her routine around and offer milk with meals, hopefully by then she will be on just fresh milk by then.

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 20:50:28 pm »
How's it going Paula x

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 21:19:06 pm »
Hey Nic,

Well today was the first day on just cows milk.  We have been dropping an oz of formula per day.  She did fantastically.  This morning she took a few sips and then pushed it away.  I thought she did not like it, but she had some toast and then went back to it and guzzled down the whole 7oz.

She had another 7oz this afternoon at nursery and then 5oz before bed.

She seems to be doing really well.

Now we just have to try and get rid of the bottles, but am not in too much of a rush to do it.

Offline *Nicola*

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2008, 22:10:37 pm »
That's great!!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2009, 20:32:41 pm »
It is completely up to you.  We warm as both DS and DD were used to drinking their formula warm. 

Let us know how it goes.

Offline campbellchick

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Australia
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 06:34:28 am »
Hi Ladies, can I please jump into this thread and ask a question?  My dd is about to turn 1 tomorrow and I am going to start to introduce her to cows milk by slowly adding it to her formula.  She has been having it on her cereal just in the last few weeks and I also gave her a drink of it the other day and she did drink it some of it, but mainly spat it out (not sure if it was because it was plain cows milk or just cold) .  So my question is - once she is on cows milk, do I then drop a bottle/cup during the day?  She is currently taking 3 bottles a day (I am going to try to switch her to a sippee cup and get rid of the bottle completely like I did with ds when he was on full cows milk by 13 months).  So if she is on cows milk - is it okay to keep up 3 cups of milk a day or should I drop to 2?  She is in full-time daycare so I can ask them to give her some milk with lunch instead of when her bottle would have been?  I just can't remember with ds when he dropped from 3 to 2 cups of milk a day. 
Thanks,
Kerrie
Kerrie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 19:58:19 pm »
Hi Kerry, I cannot believe she will be 1 tomorrow  :o where has time gone to?

I would be careful about dropping the feeds too quickly as there is a big growth spurt around the age of 1, so you don't want to drop it too quickly until the growth spurt is over.  We made this mistake :-\

I think it is fine to stick to 3 milk feeds during the day.  As long as you make sure that she is not filling up on her milk, and is eating plenty of solids.  Too much milk can cause them to become anaemic.  I would stick to no more than 20oz per day.  But this does not have to just include milk, it can include cheeses, yogurts, custards etc.

We dropped to 2 milk feeds when Abi has gone through her growth spurt as we found it was interferring with her appetite and she was not eating much at dinner time.

Hope this helps.

Paula x

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2009, 02:42:55 am »
Thanks Paula, I do remember that hiccup you had with Abi's growth spurt and NW's from hunger...  I am glad you reminded me of that advice as I was just thinking last night that it might be time to drop a feed.  She didn't drink much of her bedtime bottle - she left almost the whole thing but hasn't been drinking much for the last few nights.  I think I'll leave it a little while longer before I think about dropping it and give her a chance to go through the GS first.  We are now giving her solids before 2 of her bottles (lunch-time and dinner time) and she only has the morning bottle as soon as she wake, then eats breakfast about 45mins - 1hr later.  I wasn't sure when to transition from making milk the primary source of nutrition (e.g. giving it before solids) to giving solids first.  Now that she is a year, I am assuming we are okay to stick to the solids first and give the bottles after?  The bedtime one is generally about 45mins - 1hr after her dinner (she has dinner, a bath, a bottle then bed) so I guess she is probably still reasonably full after dinner and she just likes it for the comfort  :-\
Kerrie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2009, 10:38:13 am »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY ;D ;D

I would say it is ok to change breakfast and milk around.  We did this at 1 as Abi was never really interested in her breakfast after her milk.

She now has a bowl of porrige for breakfast and then 5oz cows milk.  We did the wean of 1 oz cows milk, in the formula, and cause she has had cows milk since 6 months in food, we dropped it by an oz every day, and within a week she was on full cows milk.  We still do formula at night though just cause we still have it left.

Offline campbellchick

• Australia
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2009, 05:30:32 am »
Thanks Paula - Holly had a nice little birthday.  And she took her first steps on her own that night too...

She is unfortunately sick again - I thought she really had lost interest in her bottles over the weekend so was wondering if I should drop one, but now it might just be because she isn't very well?  She has had fevers since yesterday afternoon.  I think I will hold off on everything including introducing cows milk until she starts feeling a little better!!!  You are lucky Abi took so well to the milk too.  Will be interesting when you run out of formula though - I wonder if she will switch that bedtime milk easily?
Kerrie

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2009, 20:04:13 pm »
Yay on her taking her first steps, that is fantastic news.

Huge hugs hun, I am sorry she is not well, I would definitely hold off until she is feeling better.  Keep us posted on how you get on.

Offline marisa.deo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2009, 00:05:53 am »
Hi there,
I'm having a horrible time switching my dd to cow's milk. She was breastfed solidly for over a year, although she was taking milk w/cheerios for 3 months. However, she will not take milk!!!
I've tried everything...both sippy and bottle, a bit of maple syrup or chocolate syrup, the only thing that worked (by worked I mean she drank 1.5 ounces of milk) I had to crush cheerios in it.
She gets plenty of dairy: yoghurt, cheese, sardines, and I've started giving her calcium supplements just to compensate...
But I am very stressed...does anyone know what else I can do???
Beyond the milk business my dd sleeps well, eats well, plays, well, a total pleasure...except when she sees milk coming her way...