Author Topic: Toddler eating too much?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Orensmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 03, 2006, 08:48:50 am »
Hi All!

I realize that having a toddler that eats too much is quite different than the many posts about toddlers not eating enough :-).

My 17 month old wants to eat constantly all day, always asking us for food.  She has a sharp eye for anything that looks like or sounds like it might be food, and will always ask for it if she sees it.  If she sees us eating, she wants some.  If we say no to more snack food she'll often enough get upset.

We give her three meals a day plus two snacks and never limit what she eats at these times.  She (as well as DH and myself) eat pretty nutriciously, and we're all normal weight.  But I'm worried that my DD's food obsession will lead to a weight problem later on. 

Would love to hear any ideas about how to get her less food-obsessed!

Thanks so much,

Siena's mommy

Offline Pigeon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 08:55:18 am »
Hi Siena's Mummy,
I don't really know about the eating less - I think if she's eating a nutrious, well-balanced diet without too much sugar, I don't think you should worry. Our DD is also fairly obsessed with eating when other people (especially DH and I) are eating - she will prick her ears up at the sound of the fridge opening. So whenever we snack, we give her something little, like a few grapes in a bowl, or some raisins.
I think at 17 months old, your LO is probably being quite active, so will need quite a few calories. You could always think about increasing her carbs, to make her fuller for longer?? (I might be wrong, someone correct me if I am).
But if your health visitor is happy with her weight, I wouldn't worry too much (you worrying may lead to her thinking food is something to worry about, IYKWIM). Does that make any sense?!
Laura, studying SAHM of
Megan Isabelle - April 2004
William Harvey (Billy) - March 2007