Author Topic: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!  (Read 84387 times)

andibig

Re: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2006, 07:15:06 am »
rinajack
WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andibig

« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2006, 07:20:47 am »
Clairewillsmum
I don't think a later bedtime would work (IMO) as he is already tired by bedtime.we tried that with Sasha when we had the early wake ups and she would still wake up at the same time ::).
have you ever tried putting him to bed earlier? i know this sounds strange but sometimes it can help as you are putting them to bed b4 they are getting super tired.

Offline clairewillsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2006, 07:42:16 am »
thanks sashas mummy! I could possibly try an earlier bedtime. anything is worth a go! :)
Claire

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2006, 09:57:44 am »
Rina with the 45min naps, I think your early wakings might be over tiredness. 3 x45 isn't much, I'd try keeping her up no more than 1.5 hours between naps & see what happens... my ds#1 lengthened his naps when I shortened his A time.

Re the crying for food when given early... well they are used to it...it is to be expected, I said "OK I give this a week to see if it works & changed the place we fed & the whole morning routine & honestly by the 3rd day, he picked up the new routine... with a 15mo TALK them through it... I know mine (almost 16mo) understands soo much & while he still gets upset when things happen, I think the "tantrums" are more a "protest" to see if he can change my mind, but when that doesn't work he stops

ClairWillsMum, I think if you can NOT offer the milk at 5am you may stand more chance of him sleeping later, you will probably have a rocky few days, but the fact he poops in his nappy after the early feed even if he does fall asleep sounds like his digestive system is very much impacting on his sleep... Also try delaying the first nap by 15mins (doing quiet stuff for that extra time) - hard with a toddler I know BUT for me it was about priorities... sleeping later was worth the effort of a few horrid days.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2006, 10:03:02 am »
Katet

Thanks for the tip re the 45 min naps, but we already tried that.  If we try to put her to bed that soon it is a major struggle with lots of screaming.  If we wait til her tired signs (which we do), then she goes down with no problems at all, put her in her cot and walk away.

I myself am an early riser as if DH.  I think it could just be the way she is wired.  We have been getting up at 6:30 since we had her, but we used to be 5:00 to 5:30, and will be going back to that this week.  I have spent ages trying to fix things with her sleep, and then decided to just follow cues.  She is happier than ever and I am less stressed than ever.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline texasmom

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2006, 12:04:35 pm »
Rina-
AWESOME!!!  I have been gone the past two days and haven't had much time to read or write, but that is VERY VERY cool!  How was this morning?   ;D
Brooke

Offline rinajack

« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2006, 21:00:52 pm »
Early again yesterday, but not too bad - about 6:10ish the last two days.

But two good long naps yesterday - and no difference to wake up time. 

Can't talk much today, got to get ready for work.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline texasmom

« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2006, 22:23:04 pm »
Rina,
I would take 6:10 with a grin.  What do you think got you there?  You mentioned earlier bedtime?  UGH, that is so hard b/c that means we can't do stuff in the evenings.  Like tonight our church has a social from 6-7.  Hmmm...  I'm listening, though... so speak your wisdom!   ;)  I think it helps that we have similar LO's. 

Hope tomorrow morning goes well. 

Brooke

Offline rinajack

« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2006, 07:11:56 am »
Brooke

You may have to sacrifice your evenings for a little while if you want your mornings back.  Don't worry , with a spirited baby it won't be long before you can go out and they will stay happy as long as there is plenty of people around - this is what is happening for us now.  But we didn't ever mess around with the schedule until we were comfortable that she could sleep at night.  We felt teaching sleep was more important.  Once they know how to sleep, you can be a whole lot more flexible with the routine.  We had some days when Zara was in bed at 5:45 becuase she was just too tired to last any longer, if we tried to keep her up, she just got more and more upset until she screamed, and that only stopped when we started the bedtime routine including a bottle).  Plus the short nappers are such hard work through the day, that at least this way you get a stretch of several hours to yourself to do whatever you want (in the house ;)).  Maybe you would be better to have people over in the evening if you need extra company, we did that a few times -if you order takeaway it is no effort for you at all, but you still get the company.

Before you get excited about our long naps yesterday, she is sick this afternoon, really upset, coughing and high temperature - so she probably only slept cause she was coming down with something. ::) :'(

Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

andibig

« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2006, 11:54:31 am »
rina
Sasha was a 45 min napper at that age (crikey i had it all-short naps,terrible teether and early riser :P). it wasn't until 6 months when she came down with bronchilitis that she started taking longer naps. i don't why but being ill suddenly helped her sleep.
so there may be light at the end of the tunnel ;D
Hope LO feels better soon.

Offline texasmom

« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2006, 12:00:58 pm »
I am so sorry about Zara being sick.  Do you know how she caught it?  I wonder about that for Collin...

Yes, you are right.  And we do sacrifice.  I just can't wait to be in a better place.  Last night I went to the social, but left at 6:30, and he was asleep by 7-7:15. 

So if you were me, would you just experiment with different bedtimes in 15 min increments?  I had a friend keep him the other night b/c I was feeling like I was going to come down with something if I didn't sleep.  She put him to bed at 8 (not sure why), and he slept till almost 6, which is later than what he does for me.  But then last night I put him to bed at 7:15 and he did the same thing - woke at 6.  He was starving, though, b/c he only took 5 ounces at 11.  So he chomped (drained the bottle) and then zonked out.  But only for 15 min.  Weird.  He was having a hard time staying awake on the bottle, and when I put him back down, I really thought he was going to sleep for a while.  But I am happy he is sleeping till 6.  Maybe we are inching our way to 7. 

Let me know how it's going with you...

Offline texasmom

« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2006, 12:01:46 pm »
I am so sorry about Zara being sick.  Do you know how she caught it?  I wonder about that for Collin...

Yes, you are right.  And we do sacrifice.  I just can't wait to be in a better place.  Last night I went to the social, but left at 6:30, and he was asleep by 7-7:15. 

So if you were me, would you just experiment with different bedtimes in 15 min increments?  I had a friend keep him the other night b/c I was feeling like I was going to come down with something if I didn't sleep.  She put him to bed at 8 (not sure why), and he slept till almost 6, which is later than what he does for me.  But then last night I put him to bed at 7:15 and he did the same thing - woke at 6.  He was starving, though, b/c he only took 5 ounces at 11.  So he chomped (drained the bottle) and then zonked out.  But only for 15 min.  Weird.  He was having a hard time staying awake on the bottle, and when I put him back down, I really thought he was going to sleep for a while.  But I am happy he is sleeping till 6.  Maybe we are inching our way to 7. 

Let me know how it's going with you...

Offline rinajack

« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2006, 09:39:43 am »
Zara goes to daycare when I work, and she picks up germs from there.  She has been ill several times, for about 2.5 weeks recently even.  But it turns out she is not ill this time - her temperature was quite high, but I am now certain it was from teeth.

I don't know about you, I am happy with a 6am wakeup.  But I also like if she stays asleep later than that. This morning we put the dummy in at 6am and she slept til 7am.  But she seems extra sleepy at the moment due to teething.  I think the key to getting them to sleep longer is to read the cues.  We start the bed time process whatever time Zara gets cranky.  I figure that I don't always go to bed at the same time, so she may not want to either. She still goes to bed at 6pm sometimes, 8pm sometimes, the average is between 7pm and 7:30pm.

Did you remember to burp collin this morning while he was soo sleepy - maybe he had some wind?
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline texasmom

« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2006, 11:20:09 am »
Oh yeah, I have to burp him b/c of his reflux. 

It sounds like your mornings have gotten tremendously better.  No more bringing her into the bed!  I wonder if that is why she is now sleeping longer.  Since she got used to sleeping later even if in your bed.  Or maybe teething! 

Collin woke this morning hungry.  He only took 4 ounces at his night feed.  So I fed him (5 ounces), but then he was wide awake (5:30), so now he is in his crib hanging out. 

Does anyone know what to do as far as feeding schedule when you feed early morning? 

I didn't know Zara is in daycare.  So do they do what you want them to do as far as schedule and routine?  Do they have an ok time putting her down for a nap? 

I am going to work 2 days a week, and my mother in law is going to keep him.  I have got to get this putting down for a nap down so she can do it. 

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2006, 11:21:29 am »
My LO wakes up around 5ish lately :(
Making bowel movement... passing through gas, and ready for her poop in the morning. There's nothing really I can do about it. :'(
Anyone else has similar problem?
The only way is to put her to bed super early (6:00-6:30) so she can get enough sleep.