Author Topic: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!  (Read 84405 times)

Offline rinajack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
Re: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2006, 21:22:34 pm »
I hear you loud and clear.  It is tiring.  Zara too can wait ages in the morning until I feed her.  What is Serens bed time?  Is there some cough medicine or something that you can give her to help with the coughing, or would a vaporiser help?  What does the Dr say about the coughing?

Perhaps she isn't taking too much milk because she isn't feeling 100% - but I wouldn't worry too much about that, my Dr and CHN said if a baby wants to eat solids, give them solids.  Just make sure it is a wide variety, like a toddler diet really.

Zaras day was at home with me yesterday and she is grumpy - teething, frustrated at not crawling, and starting to cry when she sees me walk away from her - so yes, just a wonderful day.  She slept good last night though, so hopefully today will be a bit better, and I can feel a new tooth, not enough to say officially through, so maybe this whingeing will be over with soon.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Seren - the glamour girl!
    • Shanaz John - Childminder
« Reply #286 on: November 22, 2006, 21:58:21 pm »
Hi Rina

The only cough med we can give her is only a soothing one, can't give anything to suppress it unfortunately.  When I've tried to give it to her in the morning it doesn't seem to make much difference and wakes her even more. 

She has never really been a big milk feeder, she forced the dropping of the mid-morning bottle which is why I give her 3 solids a day even though many people say to try & up her milk - she just won't take it!  I try & give her a varied diet as much as poss.  Just feel like I'm giving her the same things at the mo so am going to have a big cooking day tomorrow.  I need to make the food lumpier now too.

Seren has been a grumpster tonight too - combination of bad teething (was chomping on EVERYTHING including her sponge in the bath  ::)).  She still doesn't have a single toothy peg through, I can feel lumps though.  We gave her calpol before bed tonight as she was SCREAMING thorughout bath etc.  She had a catnap in car and she still was rubbing eyes etc so back in bed by 6.45pm.

Off to bed now so will catch up tonight your time xxx

Shanaz
Mummy:  Shanaz
Daddy:  Phil
Squirrel:  Seren

Offline rinajack

« Reply #287 on: November 22, 2006, 22:25:13 pm »
Teething can also cause early wakings, have you tried teething gel, or tablets or even panadol (calpol?) She may then go back to sleep within half/hour or so?
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
« Reply #288 on: November 23, 2006, 10:07:08 am »
Hiya

I hadn't thought of  that - I will try that tomorrow.  I set my alarm to try W2S at 4am and guess what?  She woke at 3.50am & needed her dummy in!   She went straight back off but obviously I couldn't do W2S!!  She then woke just over an hr later at 5am.  Phil & I were discussing and wondering how much is the cough (it was bad again, gave her the cough syrup & water as well as nasal drops as her nose was stuffed up) and how much is now habit.  SHe had a total of 12hrs 45 mins all day yesterday  :-\

Hope you've had a good day

Shanaz x

Offline rinajack

« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2006, 10:29:33 am »
Shanaz. Hugs.  In my experience, Zara did not go back to sleeping through until all cough and blocked nose was gone.  Hang in there, and do what you can to help her get well.  I do think Panadol or equivalent might help in those mornings?  Certainly worth a try.  We actually find it useful if given at bedtime, then the early part of the night is more restful, and sometimes means the rest of the night is too.

Good luck.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2006, 11:59:09 am »
I posted on the main forum, but I think we qualify our dd has slipped from being a 6:30 to 6 girl to 6:30-4:10, this has happened in the last few days and could be related to my wife stopping breast feeding at 13 months

I have always been an early riser at 5:30 but anything before 5am is definitely not socially acceptable

I have to say I am just about on the verge of collapse after three days, unfortunately I have to go to work, so I let my dw lie in when I get up with Phoebe (always have done) and she gets up at 7am, but by about 3pm at work I am so knackered my body simply begins to give up lol. i was hoping phoebe might return to at least 5 am but it appears she likes the early starts...

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2006, 22:36:47 pm »
Hi Rina

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, had a busy and tiring day.

Yeah, we often give it before bed if she's very whingey or unsettled.  We didn't tonight and she woke at 9.25pm, coughing and sneezing and rolling round the cot  ::)

I will try & give it to her tomrrow morning if she wakes (haha, IF she wakes, I should WHEN she wakes  :P). 

I put her to bed at 6pm tonight, I thought that if she wakes at 5am regardless, I might as well try & get her to have 11 hrs sleep!   :P 

Right, going to bed now - I hope you have a good day,

Shanaz x

Offline rinajack

« Reply #292 on: November 23, 2006, 23:16:46 pm »
Shanaz we are on a 6pm - 5am night too.

cymonguk - wow a dad in here!!!  a couple of things I can think of - maybe your lo is showing signs of being ready for 2-1 nap transition.  There is also a couple things you can do that may/may not help the early wake, but at least will not encourage it...

Don't feed early (unless she is truly hungry, in which case you need to increase day feed)
Try to leave her in her cot/room as late as possible (or until what time you are happy to get up with her each day) If she won't stay in there alone, very low key activity in her room, preferable darkened, can also help.

Delay first nap til after 9:30am if possible - early AM nap in toddlers can reinforce early wakeup.

Other than that, hats off to you for letting DW sleep in every day, and boy oh boy do I know that tired feeling at work, that is where I am right now!
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #293 on: November 24, 2006, 16:17:23 pm »
Hello everyone...we have been having early wakings for a good while now and I thought it was time to pop in and join the early wide awake club although I would much perfer to join the "I have to wake my kid up in the morning" club  ;)  Oh, the joys of parenthood.   ;D

DD use to sleep from 7-7 with one night waking for food.  Now that we don't feed at night and that our nap routine is no longer a routine she has decided 5am or so would be a good time to wake.  If she wakes up at 5am and we give her some water (after letting her roll about for awhile) she will sometimes go back to sleep at 6am and sleep until 6;45am or so.  If she wakes at around 6am forget it...we are up for the day.  I know that doesn't seem too bad but we usually don't get to 6am...usually earlier.  No matter what time we put her to bed at night she is up early.  So sometimes she gets less than 10 hours of sleep and is so tired all day long. 

We have to move her schedule to a 10pm-9am ( :P) schedule over the next 2-3 months (moving to Washington State from Florida...3 hour time difference) and I need some suggestions on how to do that especially since she wakes at around the same time no matter what time she goes to bed. 

W2S doesn't work as she doesn't wake up at the exact same time each day.  If we lave her in her crib she would happily roll and talk for ever and not go back to sleep.  Sometimes she poops early in the morning (and during naps) which has also been a cause of the early wake up but not super consistant. 

Thanks everyone.  It is good to know there is support for early risers. 

Hi Rina, Efka and Shanaz.   ;D  Good to see you all here.
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline shanaz

• Shanaz
« Reply #294 on: November 24, 2006, 21:26:22 pm »
Hi Mel!!

Yes, we're all slowly moving over from the March/April birth club thread to here!!  Good to see you here too  ;D

Seren's cold seems to be getting worse, so annoying!  I did the calpol trick and it seemed to work, the proof will be when we try it again tomorrow morning and see whether it will work then too.  I also turned her red light off, I thought that perhaps when she wakes at that time it actually wakes her up more.  That also seemed to help.

CymonG - so sorry to hear about your sleep deprivation, I totally understand.  I'm only at work for 3 days a week but it has totally killed me these past few weeks.  Just walking around dazed and confused!  Sorry I can't be of any help.   :(

Shanaz

Offline ¤ Efka ¤

• Showing Appreciation 174
« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2006, 06:28:10 am »
Just giving everybody hugs from here :D
~Efka~

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2006, 15:41:41 pm »
Hi everyone,

Sashas mummy - I hope you're still having a stretch of good mornings (and nights). We're hit and miss here these days. Thursday night was awful again, I think because she was overstimulated after visiting all of the relatives for Thanksgiving. Last night was better, but she woke at 4:30am off and on for an hour, then slept til 7:30am.

Welcome to our new club members :)!

Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)

Offline rinajack

« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2006, 21:05:04 pm »
Mel, to be honest I think you will do better switching her time after you move, because if you try to do it before, you are asking her to be asleep when you are up, and to be asleep when the sun is up too.  Given that she is already not sleeping heaps, that is just unlikely to happen.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Grace's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Oh Trader Joes, How I Love You
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2006, 22:03:06 pm »
Thanks Rina.  That's what Stacy and Samantha on the General Sleep thread suggested as well.  I think we will do that.  I don't have a problem moving her to a 7:30/8pm bed time if she will do it which of course will entail sleeping 'in' and having good naps, so it will all depend on what she is willing to do but really don't have it in me right now to work on getting her to a 10/9 schedule anyway with all the preparations we have going on. 
-You're the best by the way  :D
I am so in love with my husband and adore my precious Grace

Grace April 2006
Blog: http://graceadelyn.blogspot.com/

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2006, 22:38:03 pm »
Thanks well for two days its moved back to 5am  :o woohoo lol, but this morning I went in and put her back down, she didnt go back off but she lay in her bed relaxed, chilling out, almost off but didnt happen hopefully it will happen and get her used to sleeping in the morning