Author Topic: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!  (Read 84410 times)

Offline texasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
Re: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!
« Reply #345 on: December 11, 2006, 18:49:56 pm »
Oh, we are not there yet.  How old is your LO?  Mine can SOMETIMES make it to 2.75-3 w/o being over tired, but not often.  It seems it's been a while since I've increased the time.  I've actually heard different things.  I've heard to increase in 5-10 min increments only every 2-3 days, and I've heard to do it in 15 min increments.  I think with the 15 min, you run the risk of them being over tired.  I went too fast and had everything backfire on me. 

andibig

« Reply #346 on: December 11, 2006, 19:01:36 pm »
when increasing A time you really have to judge it by your LO.some can do 15min increments no problem while others need it done very gradually.
i found with Sasha she has to have her activity time increased gradually and she would on occasions stick at a certain awake time. ie when i was moving her nap later in the morning (this was when she was on 2 naps still) i was trying to get her to start her nap at 9.30 and we got stuck at 9.15 for ages till we could make the next step.
also there were certain times in the day she could tolerate longer A times - usually after her morning nap till her pm nap.
it sounds like your LO might need it to be done gradually so as to prevent him getting overtired.

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #347 on: December 11, 2006, 20:05:23 pm »
Brooke, I hear you about bad sleeping for me.  Last night for the first night in more than 6 weeks, I got a 7.5 hr stretch of sleep.  Wow.  Longer than the prev by about 2 hrs!!!!! And for me, yes, illness causing night wakings, but not early wakeups, we already had those.

When extending A times, I find what we are doign adn where makes a huge difference to how dd handles it.  She can handle VERY long A times, without affecting nap length, if we are out.  she likes much shorter a times at home, so if you are extending, try going for a short walk as you approach the end of A time.  Having said that, she was more sensitive to overtiredness at that age, it is getting easier now.

My work schedule has changed and we no longer need to leave the house by 6am.  So I am trying to move Zara from a 6-5night , to a 7/7:30 to 6/6:30.  So far so good, I moved it in one foul swoop, because she had  a day of 6 hrs naps!!! on sunday.  Then last night xmas party, which helped me keep her up (too late 8:40 ::)) but she is still in bed now at 6:10am.  I went and put dummy in at 5:15 (but DH and I were preparing for work in the kitchen, so she probably heard us).  She has stirred a few times since then, but no talking and no crying, so I think she is dozing on and off.   YAY!!!!  If I get away with this (we'll see ::)) I won't need to come here any more....but I will come , just to see how you all are doing!

To be honest though, I don't really mind if she is up at 5.  But DH does not get to see her in the evening a few days per week, so I would like a later bedtime for his sake.

Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

andibig

« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2006, 20:29:43 pm »
I won't need to come here any more....but I will come , just to see how you all are doing!
Rina - you never fully leave this group!!!! Look at me.Sasha stopped early wakings at 12 months and i'm still lurking LOL

Offline texasmom

« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2006, 00:13:14 am »
Sasha's mummy-
How early did your LO wake?  What time does she wake now?  12 months!  Wow.  That is a long time.

Rina -
That is AWESOME about Zara waking later!!  It has been a long time for you. 

Collin is in bed...  I hope he sleeps later, but he probably won't. 

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2006, 00:24:51 am »
Texasmom - maybe we will be saying the same ting in 6 months! :D :D :D :D But i really wish more like 6 days!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline texasmom

« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2006, 11:07:18 am »
oliverrowland- me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  what time does yours wake?

i'm actually celebrating because mine woke at 5 today!!!  i THINK!  baby monitor not on till 4:50, but he wasn't awake then.  gotta check with DH - who had the night shift! 

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #352 on: December 12, 2006, 11:20:54 am »
Texas mom:  my ds has a fart alarm at 5am lol (either he wakes and passes gas or his gas wakes him up)

sasha's mummy/rina jack:  I am a bit confused re what i should with early wake up.  If lo wakes up at 5am but goes back to sleep at 6ish...does lo  think he is napping with such a long awake time.  Also, how long do i let him stay awake before I go in there to help him back to sleep (ie in my arms) assuming he doesn't cry (which he never does)?

ps I put ds down for the night at 6:30 without catnap.  these small changes in his schedule like dropping catnap one day or starting day 30 min earlier or later one day from the next...does that mess him up?

andibig

« Reply #353 on: December 12, 2006, 16:51:05 pm »
oliver rowland
if he's waking early in the morning but not crying for you then i would leave him for longer periods each morning. this is what we did with Sasha.My HV suggested at this to me at the time.if she isn't crying then she doesn't need you and may go back to sleep.
so you need to decide on a final wake up for the day time.
in regards to his naps at this age its more about being flexible and watching his signs.as i said b4 their sleep is just plain mad at this age and while its great if you can keep him on a consistent routine for naps their needs vary greatly from day to day (esp if you add in teething , illness etc!)
Texasmum-looking back on my previous posts Sasha probably started sleeping later in the mornings from about 10 mths and it finally stuck at a year old (if that makes sense).she used to wake at 5am  :o :o so we left her her for longer  periods in the morning as she wasn't crying.we origianlly settled for 6am and then she started sleeping till 6.30 and then 7am.a lot of that was also due to re-jigging her naps as well.now her wake up time is anytime between 6-7am (her sleep is a tad crazy at the moment-yet another phase they go through at this age!!!) and her nap and bedtime is adjusted to accomodate this. yes it is a long time for early wakings but as we were putting her to bed at 6pm and she was sleeping all night we just tolerated it.i think unfortunately some LOs are just early risers.

Offline nickib

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2006, 19:29:56 pm »
My LO is 17 months old and still getting up anywhere between 5 and 7, I'd say one week out of 4 she will stay in bed later than 6, unfortunately when she wakes up every one wakes up cos she cries straight away.  She shares a room with 4 yr old which makes it impossible to leave her crying.  We are at our wits end as this has been going on for months and months!!  She has one daytime nap for anything between 30mins to 2 hrs.  Please help, any advice gratefully received !!!!

Offline rinajack

« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2006, 20:07:22 pm »
well, zara woke at 6am today.  Still within the range we are aiming for.  Not a good night though, but she is teething. She needed assistance with self settling - her lovie was not in the cot, could she really be attached already at this age?
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline jmosery

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #356 on: December 13, 2006, 13:03:38 pm »
Hi Ladies

I'm officially in your Club. My son is now a 6am-er. I was just laughing to myself now how people think i'm nuts. Its 8am and my son is down for his first nap already. but the way he is throughout the day, makes up for the early wake up

some mornings he wakes at 6 or 6:30 and takes his first nap between 8 and 8:30

today i heard him playing at 5:30(hope it doesn't get earlier), cried at 6:10 so we started our day. I don't feed him till 7(he is on a 4 hour easy and goes to sleep between 6:30 and 7)

its nice that he goes to bed that early because DH and I get the night to ourselves but I have to admit that sometimes when we are out, its just a pain. I wish he could stay up until 8 or 8:30 like our friends kids but I work full time and sometimes, not the weekends, but sometimes i like those two hours we get in the morning together

does anyone's elses family or friends think its nuts that their kid is on such an early schedule?

he used to be an 8-8 kid before the clocks changed. then was 7-7 now its more like 6-7

i can't complain. he sleeps straight through from 7pm to 6 am and he's only 5 months. guess I should count my blessings huh

just wanted to say hi

jaime  :D
Jaime

Michael- 7/8/06
Natalie- 7/8/07

[

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #357 on: December 13, 2006, 13:48:05 pm »
man I thought this morning was going to be a real early one. She was sleeping by 7:30pm and woke at 1am standing in her crib wanting a bottle. I was a little surprised as she had 8oz before falling asleep earlier that night. but nevertheless she had 4oz and fell back to sleep at 1am. than she woke up I believe it was between 4:30am and 5:00am. I was not going to give her a bottle so I rocked her and she fell back to sleep. but I kept hearing noises. Than I think maybe before I knew it - it was maybe 6am and I thought I heard her. but by the time I went to go get her to bring downstairs it was 6:30am. It's hard to tell when she woke up, I think she was sleeping most of that time "lol". I kept on trying to get some more sleep in myself. When it was 5am in the morning I was thinking OK this is TOOO early!!!!. She usually gets up anywhere between 5:30am and 6:30am - sometimes later.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

andibig

« Reply #358 on: December 13, 2006, 16:06:40 pm »
Jaime
I would be in heaven if Sasha slept for 11 hours at the moment!!!!his routine sounds pretty normal and fantastic he is sleeping so long at that age.Sasha was always early rising but she also had an early bedtime.
i think its a compromise between having your evenings free or a lie in in the morning.
personally i'd like both as Sasha now has a cold (could be to do with her teething) so her sleep isn't going to improve soon ::)
Nikib-can't offer much advice as DD going through same thing.what things have you tried  to get her to sleep longer?

Offline rinajack

« Reply #359 on: December 13, 2006, 19:39:47 pm »
so funny that you all try to improve the early wakeups so that you can sleep in.  I always seem to forget to schedule extra sleep for me into our schedule.  It is 5:40 and Zara is not waking up yet, so seems my shift of her schedule is working, for a 6am or later wakeup for the 4th day running.  But.  I still wake by 5am at the latest, use the extra time in the morning to do my chores before she wakes and walk the dogs. Then with her going to bed later in the evening - well that is just good so DH can see her before she goes to bed.  So all I have done is take away some of my me time in the evening, and give me more chore time in the morning.  No wonder I am still tired!!!

I don't have any advice to give about how we fixed early wakeups.  We had virtutally no schedule left due to illness and teething, so one day when she had excellent naps I had to put her to bed later, then I helped her sleep longer just by using dummy (which previously did not work).  Then we have had Xmas parties so that has made it easier for me to keep her bed time later, and she as contiinued to wake later (6am onwards).  But she hasn't slept through all the nights, but still.

Oh, and just making our nights here difficult is the teething.  Finally she is well again (for now at least) but she has cut 3 top teeth in the last week, 2 in the last 2 days, and the 4th top one is not far away.  A friend yesterday said to me - OMG I can see all her top teeth when did they come in - so that 4th one is so close that people think it is through already.

Good sleep vibes to  you all......
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10