Author Topic: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!  (Read 84403 times)

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Re: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!
« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2007, 14:27:03 pm »
Brooke, he's a week younger than your lo!

andibig

« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2007, 20:01:14 pm »
Mel
i'm sure your next LO will be a dream sleeper :-*
Sasha has now started waking early ::).one morning it was 5.30am :'( :'(.just way too early.did my usual "lie down go back to sleep" and i think she cat-napped until 6.30am.i've started to cut down her nap and she slept a little later till 6am (with 1 NW-ugh).
Janice-anne
would your DS 1 understand or like the idea of a reward chart (he's about three right).you know gets a star for staying in bed till 6.30am and then a treat at the end of the week if he has got a certain amt of stars.can't think of any other ideas???

Offline Zaiby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #437 on: January 12, 2007, 18:40:15 pm »
Hello everyone!  Can I join? Though I REALLY don't want to lol!  ::)

A bit of a background..
My lo is almost 16 months old - was a horrible sleeper until about 7 months (waking every hour or 2) until we did sleep training..he then slept through the night with usually only 1/2 wakings and eventually slept through, but NEVER more than 10-10.5 hrs
He has always been an early riser and I'm not sure if we created that habit or not, but is it too late to fix?  Or are we destined to wake up at 5-5:30?
I can count on my hand the amount of times he may have slept til 6/6:30 and 7 or later is ONLY with a drink of milk at wake up..
He goes to bed anywhere from 6 - 8 - I know this a HUGE window, but it really depends on how he napped that day etc..
No matter what time he goes to bed, he'll wake up about 10 hrs later sometimes 9 sometimes 10.5..
And limiting naps doesn't seem to tack on any night sleep - but does on occasion take away ::) ???
His totals lately have been about 12 hrs sleep including night/naps
Most days he's happy, but certainly clingy - he wants constant attention if we are at home - will only play by himself for 5 minutes - is this because he's perpetually overtired or is that another issue all together :P

We don't have trouble putting him down at night, and naps are ok (though lately he is taking longer to take his pm nap)

Right now his routine is all over the map because everything is so inconsistant as far as sleep goes...

Please any suggestions/tips?  My DH and I are constantly tired and exhausted  - we love lo to pieces and he's a super sweet little boy - but we need to change this!

TIA
Z

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #438 on: January 12, 2007, 18:54:54 pm »
TIA, what do you mean when you say you did "sleep training"?

andibig

« Reply #439 on: January 12, 2007, 21:03:47 pm »
Zaiby
at you LOs age (if i'm correct) should be about 13 hrs-usually 11hrs night and 2hr nap.some LOs can be above this or like your little guy can be under.
is he still sleeping thru?10.5 hrs may be just the norm for him.when he wakes at 6-6.30 what time did he go to bed?
also is he still having 2 naps (i noticed you are struggling with 2 naps) if so its definetly a sign to cut down to 1 nap.fighting the pm nap is a classic sign of needing just 1 long nap as opposed to 2 shorter naps
HTH
Andrea

andibig

« Reply #440 on: January 12, 2007, 21:56:36 pm »
Zaiby
just looked at your other post :o.seems you've tried the 1 nap and its not working.have to agree with stacy that a 10.5 hr night can be alright with some LOs (as i said b4) as long as the nap or naps are good.
when shortening naps it takes a while to see improvement and for it to stick.consistency with the naps and bedtime is the key.as in trying to put them down at the same time every day.a consistent bedtime as well.
with sasha and i was trying to get rid of early wakings.i had to be consistent with the timings and not let her have too much daytime sleep etc.i should add she was sleeping through the night.
what is your routine at the moment?

Offline Zaiby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #441 on: January 13, 2007, 00:59:37 am »
Hi Sasha's mum,

I would gladly take 6 or 6:30!  Unfortunately it's more like 5 - 5:30
He does sleep through most of the time and it's usually the 10 or 10.5 hrs..these days more like 10

Our routine is all over the map but usually like 3.5hrs after wake he takes his first nap, then about 4 to 4.25 hrs A time to 2nd nap, and bedtime 4 hrs later..

I'll try and get more consistant with naps/bedtime and see if that helps...but if you've seen my other posts, you'll know I've tried all combintations lately...I am truly at a loss..

His total sleep lately has been 12 hrs - not enough I don't think - clearly overtired as he is super clingy when at home...but happy as long as I give him all my attention or at least am in the same room with him..

So there you have it...any ideas?

Thanks
Zaibun

andibig

« Reply #442 on: January 13, 2007, 11:07:56 am »
Zaiby
i'll have a look at your other post today ;).really need to have a good look at it tonight when Sasha has gone to bed-not possible with a 19 mth running all over the place ;D.
aware that you've tried several combos - maybe thats the prob?trying to think when sasha was still on 2 naps.i think her awake time was 3.5hrs between naps and bedtime.
so are you aiming for a 6-6.30 wake up time?what does he do or you do when he wakes early?is he happy to stay there or is he calling for you?
as i said will look at your other post tonight.we'll get that little guy sleeping longer..........i hope.
oh 1 other question what does he eat like during the day?

Offline Zaiby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #443 on: January 13, 2007, 14:22:56 pm »
Sashasmum,

I would love 7:30 wake up time but know that is not realistic at this point so we are shooting for 6:30 at least..
u r right - the different combos might be the key and no consistantcy...

When he wakes early he's normally content - on the odd occasion he will fuss - I have been leaving him until 6, then we get him and start the day with milk - which he doens't drink much of, and then breakfast a half hour later,

He eats pretty decent - some days more than others, but not too bad..He has 3 meals and  couple of little snacks inbetween...and milk before naps...and bedtime...

Thanks for checking things out!

andibig

« Reply #444 on: January 13, 2007, 21:03:28 pm »
Zaiby
just wanted to check hunger wasn't an issue.
i think you've been given some great advice.i can't really add anymore ideas.
totally agree with keeping him in the cot if he wakes happy.this is what we did with sasha and eventually she decided it was easier to go back to sleep-LOL.
again pushing meal times later as well will help.its basically trying to reset their body clocks.if his body expects milk at 6am then he'll wake early for it (IYKWIM).
unfortunately there is no magical answer to early wakings.just a lot of hard work resetting their body clocks until it slips into place!

Offline cazza92

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #445 on: January 17, 2007, 06:43:37 am »
hello
Can i join! my daughter is 15 months old and has always woken up early normally about 5.00am onwards. Then before christmas we cut out her morning nap and gave her one long one about two hours and this seemed to work for a while as megan was waking at six to six thirty. Then Christmas came and some teeth and now we up at five (four thirtythis morning) and she seems restless when sleeping. She goes to bed at seven but seem to wake at about 10pm and crys a little then goes back to sleep. Normally we go in and just turn her on her back again and she goes back to sleep.

We also have tryed giving her a beaker of milk in the mornings as it stops her from crying andhen she will play in the cot for a little while.

Has anyone fixed there morning wakings? is it just a case of waiting till she gets older? is there light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Why don't they come with an instruction booklet!!!

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #446 on: January 17, 2007, 08:36:11 am »
caza92, I totally agree with you. Why don't they come with an instruction booklet?!
I studied "Early Childhood Education" in school & work with young children. With all the knowledges about early childhood development + theories, I never know that I've to sleep train my LO + set up a routine + million other things that I need to work with my LO ::)

Offline mattandcindy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #447 on: January 17, 2007, 14:36:44 pm »
Hi Everyone
It is with great reluctance that I am joining this thread... ;) ;) ;)
I just assumed that it was just a "phase" and she would get through it. She has had short periods when she will sleep until 7-7:30 but mostly it is 5:30.

I am not here looking for answers just support.  :) :)

I havn't time to read back through 30 pages of posts but has anyone tried the "alarm clock" trick. A friend of mine told me to get an alarm clock, cover up the minutes and put a sticky note next to the hour with the hour that I want Abigail to get up. (i.e if I want her to get up at 7am then I put a sticky note with the number 7 next to the hour) and then I tell her she can't get up until the two numbers match. I seriously have my doubts that it will work but just wondering if it has worked for anyone else?

Also, what age can you tell them that this is an unacceptable time to wake up?????
Cindy

andibig

« Reply #448 on: January 17, 2007, 14:55:12 pm »
Cindy
welcome to the club!!!haven't tried the alarm clock thing but i know a few have with success :).
at what age can you tell them 7am is a much nicer time to wake up??dunno -you spend the first years of their live trying to get them to sleep longer and the next lot of years trying to wake them up (i have 2 stepsons 11yrs and 12yrs old!)-LOL

Offline k3lly

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Holy cow, 2 under 2!
« Reply #449 on: January 17, 2007, 15:30:20 pm »
Hello all! Sorry I've not had time to catch up fully but am looking for help re. early waking. Our routine is below. I'd like another hour of sleep at night!! Suggestions requested & welcomed!!!! Thank you!!  :-*

5:30ish - wake up and potty
6:00 - 6oz bottle
6:15 - A for 45min
7:00 - potty and breakfast
7:45 - potty then 1hr A
8:45 - S for 1hr
9:45 - potty then 2hr A
(11ish sippy cup break)
11:45 - potty and lunch
12:30 - potty then 1.5hr A
2:00 - S for 90min or so
3:45 - potty then 2hr A