Author Topic: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!  (Read 84434 times)

Offline Mamalou

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: EARLY WIDE AWAKE CLUB!! WANT SUPPORT? JOIN US!
« Reply #720 on: June 09, 2007, 07:05:26 am »
hi
ok, I was on here a while back, but haven't posted in a long time.  Have tried soo many things and Kubko is still waking early. 
I'm really curious to read answers to katemom's questions.  Hmm.. not sure when ewings started for us, (it's been such a long time!!  ::) ) but I'll go back and look at my records :) 
and DOES it ever end?? I'm soo tired of it!!  I've tried shortening am nap... bedtime earlier (a long time ago though) and later... some days we get a 5.40 or 5.50 or 6 which is EXCELLENT!!  Can't believe he ever slept past 6! (ok, he did a few weeks ago, but he was sick)  6 is now our wake up, so that's just fine (I've started working now and need to get up then anyway)
Girls on my birth thread have been pretty adamant in suggesting that we get a curtain to close off Kubko's crib--as we share a room. But I'm not sure it'll make a difference and dh doesn't really want to do that.. but maybe we'll try...
Any suggestions?? Here's our routine again:

6 (ideally--ha ha --more like 530 or earlier :( ) wake up
breakfast
nap 915-945 (today this had to be earlier as he woke at 4.30 and was v tired by 8.45)
lunch at 12
nap 1ish-3ish (have tried shortening to 1.5 but doesn't seem to make a difference)
bedtime 7.30

Kristi

Offline texasmom

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #721 on: June 09, 2007, 16:45:08 pm »
Kristi,
The only thing I thought of is that maybe Kubko needs a little less sleep now?  I'm just throwing that out there!  But you said you tried shortening the PM nap.  Did you do it for a while?  You might get some good advice in 2-1 nap switch. 

Katemom,
We had early wakings starting about about 5 1/2 months (because he got OT), and it got better around 8 months.  But then it started up a little again recently (off and on), and 2-1 nap switch moms said it's because of the nap switch. 

When I say early wakings, it could be anywhere from 4am-5:30.  There was a time when I was thrilled with 5am.  Now I'm happy with 6, which is when Collin wakes a lot.  He's actually been waking a little later too - even 6:45 the other day.  I do think some LO's are early risers.  I mean, I don't think Collin will be one to sleep till 8 or anything!  So jealous of moms whose LOs do!  :)

BBD,
So yours wakes up mid nap crying, and you feed her back to sleep?

I honestly do think right now that the most important thing is to get over the overtiredness, and then work on independent sleep. 

Jenny and Rob,
I'm a nazi about the noise in the morning too!!!!!  I know my husband thinks I'm a loon.  But like today, it was 6:30, and the phone rang!!  Argh!  Collin and I WERE sleeping.  I know 6:30 is kind of late, but I was awake from 4-5:30 b/c of Collin noises, house noises, and DH left for out of town at 5, so I just wanted to sleep sleep sleep. 

:-*
Brooke

P.S. Tor,
I meant to clarify about the gradual weaning.  The idea is that if you take away an ounce at night, they will eat more milk or solids that next day.  You probably knew that already!  :)

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #722 on: June 10, 2007, 18:13:08 pm »
Kristi, we have struggled with earlier wakings for ages as well.  We too are in the 2-1 transition.  what has been suggested to me is to start the am nap a bit later  therefore pm nap will also be a bit later which makes it a bit shorter.
so. we were a 9:30-10 and 1-3pm and 7pm bedtime  ....I am now at 9:45-10:15, 1:15-3 and 7pm bedtime.  I think my goal will be 10-10:30 and 1:30-3pm.  I htink too much daytime sleep is resulting in ew.
Sophie

Offline Mamalou

« Reply #723 on: June 10, 2007, 19:33:33 pm »
thanks for the advice girls..
yesterday we had a good day of naps, 30 min in morning (I woke him) and then he slept 2 hrs and I woke him in the pm.  Today he woke at 5.40--much better than this week's 4.30's but still would prefer 6...

I might try to shorten that pm one more consistently for a week to see what happens...
But today that was my plan and he ended up sleeping only 1 hr and refused to go back to sleep :( ???

Sophie- We used to do a 930-1015 am nap and then a long A time and he'd go down 3ish-5ish.  But still had ew problems so shortened the am nap, and moved things earlier as he was having trouble getting to sleep at night and I was advised that that 5 hour A time was too long and maybe he was actuallly overtired from it?? Anyhow, never thought I'd get him down earlier, as really he seemed to be just fine for that long stretch...but he's been  ok going down with a shorter A time.

Sometimes this stuff makes no sense to me..

But maybe Sophie- we'll try what you're doing-- to keep him awake a bit longer in am (I think he can do it as he did go longer before)  has it cured your ewings??
great if so!!

thanks again
Kristi

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #724 on: June 10, 2007, 23:04:08 pm »
Kristi, what time does your lo go down at night?  I don't let my ds sleep later than 3pm b/c he then gets to tough to get to sleep at 7pm.  I was told that as the am nap gets shorter, the A times b/w also shortens up as they are less rested ...ie with a 30min nap they don't go thru a full sleep cycle.  Do you get your lo up as soon as he wakes or leave him alone in the crib t'ill your scheduled start of the day? 
We have just started pushing naps a bit later this week and consequently shortening pm nap.  But so far we have had 3 after 6am w/u and one 5:40 w/u.  Not bad considering we just started...usually takes a while to adjust.  That is one thing I am learning right now....it is constant adjusting until that nap is dropped for good. :P :P :P :P :P :P   
You might consider visiting the 2-1 switch thread.
Sophie

Offline Mamalou

« Reply #725 on: June 11, 2007, 11:19:09 am »
hi girls
how cute- Kubko's going through the kitchen towel drawer and he's sitting on an apron, but trying to pick it up and getting v frustrated... 

just wanted to ask advice---

So yesterday Kubko slept 30 in a.m. (we woke him) and then for 2nd nap he woke up after 1 hr and refused to go back to sleep, so I put him in bed a bit earlier last night --almost 7 (6.50 actually)..
but he slept til past 6 am today!!! yay!!!

So I'm wondering--maybe he  needs only a 1 hr nap in p.m.?? Seems too short to me, but the same thing happened recently--that way--short pm nap-he wakes early, earlier to bed and then he sleeps til 5.50 or 6.  Maybe it was just a fluke.. I don't know

What should I do? Wake him after 1 hr or 1.5 hrs??

thanks for help
be back later to respond to you Sophie
Kristi

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #726 on: June 11, 2007, 20:17:17 pm »
If I was in your situation i would probably let him sleep to avoid OT down the road....

Offline jadeborn

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #727 on: June 16, 2007, 01:37:42 am »
Hi all.  I'm pretty new the website, but I definitely want in on the Early Wide Awake Club.  My lo is 5 mo and he has been getting up at 5:00 am since he was just tiny. . .but he used to go back to sleep for another hour when I put him in my bed (Lots of AP going on here!).  Now he still wakes up and wants to play.  I see that many of you are dealing with older kids needing a 2 to 1 nap switch.  Anyone dealing with a 5 month old?  One of the posts mentioned the early wakings as a result of overtiredness. . .I think that may have been a problem in the past, but he seems to be doing a lot better in the sleep department now.  How would I be able to determine whether the waking is due to his being overtired?  Maybe he still isn't doing as well as he needs to even though he is improving.  He goes to sleep at about 7:30 pm and wakes at 5:00 am with no wakings in between.  He used to be a horrible napper, but lately he takes two 1.5 to 2 hr naps and one 30 to 40 min. nap per day.  Maybe he is overtired by bedtime on some days though because all the naps are earlier than they need to be because he wakes up so freakin early!  Has anyone had success getting their 5 mo old to sleep later?  I'd be happy if we were just back to 6:00 am again!  I'm tired of going to bed at 9:00 to be well rested to get up with him.  I never see my DH anymore!  Thanks for the help!

Offline jamm

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #728 on: June 16, 2007, 14:01:31 pm »
Hi - I'm new to this club =) The past few days my 9 month old LO has been getting up progressively earlier and earlier.   A week ago the average time was around 7:00, then Thursday morning was 6:15, Friday 5:50 and this morning 5:40! Thanks for all your posts, it makes me feel a little better I'm not alone! Will it get better (go back to normal) or should I officially be expecting this early morning wake up call from now on??

:) :) :)
Jen
~ Mommy to Jessica Mae 09.12.06 & Isabelle Marie 03.24.09 ~

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #729 on: June 16, 2007, 15:10:25 pm »
well i have totally lost the plot :-[.dh thinks i am mad,he started work early this morning and i could hear the bathroom tap running all the time when he brushed his teeth.i went off it.india was woken by him 3.50 am >:( :(.i am shattered.
brooke,it could be her teeth......jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline texasmom

« Reply #730 on: June 18, 2007, 21:25:31 pm »
Jadeborn,
I'm happy to help if I can.  Could you post your routine?  (Just sleep)

Like...
Wake 5
Nap 7-9
Asleep for the night 7

JennyH,
That sucks!  Did you have a better night last night? 

Jamm,
Seems ood to say, "Welcome."   :-\  As far as things getting better, maybe if you posted your routine, I could see if it seems there is a reason.  I would think if it just started, there should be a reason, which can hopefully be remedied. 

:)
Brooke

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #731 on: June 18, 2007, 21:34:31 pm »
we had a lie in 4.20 ::).my mam has her tonight[god i love her].people keep asking me what i feed her she is just sooooooooo full of energy.oh to be young again ;D ;D
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline texasmom

« Reply #732 on: June 19, 2007, 00:50:38 am »
jennyh,
UGH, that is truly awful.  do you think there is a reason for her early wakings?  collin started waking early at 5ish months, but i figured out the problem, and it got better.  right now he is doing it again, but for the same reason.  just gotta get him back on track.  he gets off so easily. 

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #733 on: June 24, 2007, 01:42:53 am »
Oh goodie, another club to join. :) I was a card carrying member of the 45 minute nap club for WAY too long, and just when I thought it was good (DS was sleeping 8p-7a), now I have EWings.  It started 2 weeks ago when we flew to my parents' house (same time zone). He used to get up after 7, but started to get up at 6, then on our way home, our flight was delayed, and so he lost a few hours of night sleep. So, there were a few 6am, and a few 7am, and one 7:30 (thought i was in heaven!)

So, last Sunday, we had a little accident (fell off countertop) that sent us to the ER, and thus DS didn't go to sleep till 11:45 that night, and never seemed to make up for it in naps.
SO, his arm was hurting for about 3-4 days (nothing broken, though) AND to top it all off, he has a cold. SO, the past 3 nights have been 1 night waking from 3:30-6am, then slept till 7:45, 1 wake at 5:00 (so pushed bedtime ahead an hour to 7pm), and this am, wake at 5:30. 

PLEASE tell me this is a phase. I'd like to cancel my membership and get a full refund.

Offline jadeborn

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #734 on: June 25, 2007, 00:53:31 am »
Texasmom,

Thanks for the reply.  Here is the sleep routine as it has been going the past week or so. . .(He has been doing a bit better, but I would still like him to get a little more sleep in the morning - for his own sake).

Usually wakes around 4:30 am, at which point I give him a small feed and he goes back to sleep.
5:30 - 6:30 am = Wake Up
8:45 = First nap (usually around 1.75 hrs)
1:00 - 1:30 = Second Nap (usually around 1.5 hrs)
Variabe third nap around 5:00 or 5:30 usually for 30 mins.  He fights this nap really hard.  It usually takes me forty-five minutes to get him to sleep for this thirty.  Some days I let him go without it, but then he has a lot of trouble staying up until bedtime, and I don't want to mess with bedtime because earlier bedtime was definitely not working.
7:00 - 7:30 = Falls asleep with bottle
7:30 = In bed.

He slept until around 7:00 am after staying awake in his crib after his early morning feed for awhile twice in the past ten days, and he was SO much happier on those days so I'm really shooting for a 7:00 wake up, but I would be happy if we could get to a consistent 6:30!

Thanks for the help!