Author Topic: toddler back into own bed--help  (Read 806 times)

Offline CJF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
toddler back into own bed--help
« on: July 03, 2006, 15:21:13 pm »
hi
i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for me...i have been doing some accidental parenting  and now it is time to get back ontrack with things.  since the birth of my son (2 months old) my dd won't sleep in her own bed (she is 2).  i let her come in my bed at first because it was just easier with just having the baby.  frankly it was quite easy at bed time, i would nurse the baby to sleep and put him in his bassinet (which is next to my bed) and she would fall asleep on the bed next to me.  this is still going on, but i think it is time she gets back into her own bed so this isn't going on forever.  she also takes a nap on my bed during the day (which i don't mind all that much, but i know i need to be consistent) and ds takes a nap in his pack-n-play downstairs with me (at the moment).  i plan on moving ds to him room very soon.  do you think i should deal with getting dd back into her bed first or tackle it all at once?  do you have any ideas on how i can get dd back into her own bed without many struggles?
oh, i should mention that i think this all started well,  for the pure fact that ds was born and he is in my room with me and becasue the week he was born we were apart for the entire week and then i come home with a new baby.  dd was at grandma's mon-wed, she came home on wed. around dinner time then went to bed (in her own bed at that time) and my water broke during the night so we left for the hospital, grandma was there in the morning for dd (all of a sudden no mommy).  and then i came home on saturday when i had to be rushed back to the hopital due to high blood pressure.  dd was put to bed by my sil that night.  the next night was when it all went down hill...she would wake up screaming!    so just to make things easier i  just let her sleep in bed with me--she just seemed so scared. 
any advice would be greatly appreciated!!  thank you!!
Carolyn
Mommy to :
Emily 4/14/04
Joey 4/20/06

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 17:23:17 pm »
First of all I wouldn't worry too much about your older one napping on your bed during the day. I think especially at this age they can understand the difference.

The order that you tackle moving the kids may depend in part on whether your ds will be disturbed by dd if she  gets upset during the transition (ie are their rooms close togther) or vice versa.  I suspect that your older one can sleep thru her younger brother's tears probably because they are quieter.  So maybe you can try convincing your older one to be big sister and move out first as a good example to baby but if she's not buying it you might have to do the reverse and suggest that if her little brother can do it so can she!

Offline CJF

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: toddler back into own bed--help
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 18:33:32 pm »
thanks for your thoughts, i am going to make the move very soon soon!!! i will have to play with the order i move them and see how things go.
Carolyn
Mommy to :
Emily 4/14/04
Joey 4/20/06