Author Topic: Unable to roll back from tummy causing wake-ups - help please  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Jenna's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hi, my dd is 6.5 months old and on 4 hour EASY with a DF at 11pm.  She's been doing really well through the night, able to put her paci back in by herself (still debating whether to ditch the binky anyway) and we are just starting solids.  The solids aren't going that well, she barely takes any at all but I keep offering anyway.  She's drinking more formula so I know she's hungry.  She's able to roll over to her tummy but can't get back again and this made for a very bad night last night.  Every time she would roll onto her tummy she would cry and I had to go back in and turn her over and give her the paci.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it just a developmental thing that she'll learn to either stay on her tummy or roll back herself soon?  I know she was a little overtired last night so could this have something to do with it?  Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

andibig

Re: Unable to roll back from tummy causing wake-ups - help please
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 20:27:05 pm »
could be a developmental LO do learn to roll the other way or learn to sleep on their tummies (DD did-mind you i think she was too lazy to roll back over-LOL). i know another person suggested putting rolled up towels down the side of their cots so they don't completely roll over.
i know when DD started solids she was very windy as well which can disturb their sleep.
HTH

Offline macsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 11:12:01 am »
after finally getting ds meds sorted for reflux i managed to get 5 nights with only 1 waking and now he has learnt to roll over he is waking again 3 to 4 times i only need to roll him over but then i can hear him talking away in his cot and rolls over again etc i have rolled up blankets at either side of him in the cot.
what can i do? will he grow out of it once he can roll back on his own, i was just getting used to a good 7 hour stretch of sleep and now this.
my other problem is when i go up to bed and check him he is on his belly fast asleep at 5.5months is it safe to leave him or should i continue to roll him back?
Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

andibig

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 20:53:10 pm »
macsmum

reading your post took me back to when DD rolled over in her cot ::) ::). i used to put rolled towels down the side of her cot to stop her but somehow she managed to end up at the other end of the cot ::) ::)
they do grow out of it once they have learnt to roll back.

I used to panic when DD rolled on to her front when she was asleep and used to put her back on her back. but my HV said that although she can't roll back she can still turn her head to the side so not to worry (as i was worried about sids) and leave as she was.just take out the towels and not to have any cot bumpers on.
HTH

Offline macsmum

• Showing Appreciation 111
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 21:03:49 pm »
thank you i will remove rolled up blankets and leave him on his belly
Emma
Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

Offline tryinghard

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 00:33:37 am »
Hi Jenna's mum. I went thru this a couple of weeks ago although by dd is older. I was hoping there would be some magical quick fix- but as a first time mother I have learnt that all it takes is alot of hard work, consistency and patience! :( Each time dd rolled onto tummy and then cried for me, I would go in, avoid eye contact, no conversation, roll her back, re-tuck in and say the words 'it's time to go to sleep' and leave the room immediately. Sometimes she rolled over b4 I even got to the door but I would leave her, wait 3-5 mins (crying by then) and go in and do the same thing. The 1st time took about 30 mins of going in & out like a yoyo. But I just kept doing the same thing, in the same order- by about the 4-5th day she got the message. She still cant roll back and she's 8.5 mo- so I revert to plan as above if it happens again now.
In regards to DF- been there too. Have you started to reduce the amount of milk for her DF? She probably not eating that much becoz is full on the milk. At 6.5 mo she should be ready for solids. I dropped amount of formula by an ounce every 2-3 nights until I got down to about 4 ozs. bottle then one night I fell asleep on the couch and woke at midnight- too late for a DF so I left it to see what would happen. Didnt wake and never gave it again. So then she was waking hungry and having her milk and solids in the morning and the requirement for the DF was broken.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 00:43:05 am »
Practice rolling over tummy-to-back during A times.  It's hard cuz I tried to "teach" my DD and it wasn't until she finally started showing some interest in crawling that she actually got the hang of it.  But, what we did when it was inevitable that she was going to roll onto her tummy was get her used to sleeping that way.  I call it PopUp/PressDown (PU/PD  :)) she would pop her head up and cry and I would very gently press it down.  Sometimes she'd get a slight caress, sometimes a rub on the back or a pat, etc. but mostly we just  repeated the pop head up and cry, press it down.  Pop up, cry, press down...over and over and over again.  The first night was 24 times (not bad, I hear you saying).  The second night was 96 times and it took an hour of almost continuous PU/PD!  The third night was about 10 times that were spaced out over about 15 minutes.  We've been doing okay ever since...at least on this front!  About 2 weeks later she started showing interest in crawling and figured out rolling back and now there's no stopping her!  She's all over the crib!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Jenna's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 13:34:34 pm »
Thanks tryinghard and Mom2katiebug, both great posts and very helpful.  It seems each night is different as to whether she even wants to bother rolling onto her tummy, so night before last I actually got to sleep all the way through, but last night was up twice to roll her back.  Mom2katiebug had to laugh at your version of pu/pd... maybe I'll try it!  My dd can go to sleep on her tummy if she's tired enough, but then at that first jolt after about 40 mins she wants to be on her back so cries out. 

Tryinghard thanks for the DF advice, we've been thinking of trying to drop it but didn't want to go cold turkey because solids aren't fully established, but reducing the amount gradually seems like it should work... we'll give it a go by reducing her to 7oz tonight for a couple of nights and go from there.