Author Topic: confused at night  (Read 853 times)

Offline lochiesmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
confused at night
« on: July 04, 2006, 22:56:43 pm »
I am having trouble with my 10wk boy, he is on 3 hour easy and naps well (1 -1.5 hours) in the morning put poorly in the afternoon (40 mins or less). We put him to bed after his 7pm feed and recently I have been cluster feeding again at 9pm (I have to wake him for this feed) and dreamfeed at 11pm. He is mostly breastfed but the 11pm feed is formula. He does not seem to feed for very long (anywhere from 5 to 15 mins) and generally will only take one breast, when fed by bottle he will never take more than 4 oz (usually 2.5 to 3). I usually feed him twice during the night (2am and 5am). In the last few days he has been waking about 12 -1 am, I have given him his dummy and he will sleep to 2.30 - 3 when he wakes (crying wont settle with dummy), I then feed him (average time around 8 mins one side only), here starts the problem as he just does not want to go back to sleep, really would like to play. He is swaddeled, and given his dummy and I pat shush for 10 mins plus until he goes back to sleep, he will only stay asleep for 20 to 40 mins before I have to start the whole pat shush thing all over. I have tried feeding him during this time but he is clearly disinterested in the breast. He has recently been diagnosed with Reflux, but is on Losec and seems to be doing well, his cot mattress is elevated to 45 degrees. I started the cluster feed to try and eliminate one of the night feeds, but it does not seem to have made a difference. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as the lack of sleep is getting hard to cope with.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: confused at night
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 23:51:22 pm »
Hi there! What a lovely DS you have!!

I have a couple of thoughts for you.... I suspect that he might be getting used to eating so much at night, so that's what he's wanting to do. Instead of waking him for a feed at 9pm and then dreamfeeding at 11, I think that you should either change your clusterfeeding schedule so that you get the feeds in without needing to wake him, or stop dreamfeeding. Also with EASY a lot of LOs have a bit of a blip in those early days because during the day they eat and then have A time. During the night they eat and then we want them to go back to sleep. Unfortunately, this charges us with teaching them that they don't get A time at night. This can take some time for them to grasp. You're doing the right thing with pat/shhh so keep it up!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o