Author Topic: Can't go back to sleep  (Read 854 times)

Offline Liamsmyangel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 05, 2006, 18:48:11 pm »
Hi, I am new to the boards and I am still reviewing the other posts, but could really use some help...soon! Thanks in advance!

Liam is 6.5 months old. His usual schedule is

Wake 9am BF
Nap BF to sleep 1130
A 1230
E Veggies/Cereal 1pm then BF
Nap 2pm, sometimes BF to sleep
A 4pm BF
E 630pm Veggies/Cereal
Then he breastfeeds sometime in the evening
Breastfeed before bed at 9pm

I try not to breastfeed him to sleep, but I am not always successful.

My problem is, he is good about getting back on schedule, if it gets messed up, but he doesn't know how to put himself back to sleep. He only knows breastfeeding to put himself back to sleep. I have tried give him a paci or swaddling him and rocking him back to sleep, but it only works temporarely before he is back awake. He wakes about 5 times and just enough to get nursed back to sleep, about 5-10 minutes each time. He screams very loudly when he wakes.

He is teething right now, but it doesn't seem to affect his schedule, he has always had this bad habit.

I also want to add that he starts out in his crib in the room next to ours, then he ends up in bed with us, because I get too tired to keep getting up.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Can't go back to sleep
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 20:08:19 pm »
what i would suggest is breaking that eating to sleep association. lo doesn't know how to put himself to sleep b/c he isn't putting himself to sleep in the first place kwim? after feeding, make sure lo is awake...by burping or getting up and walking around - somehting low key but be sure lo is def awake for at least a few minutes and then put lo down awake or even at first somewhat drowsy - but not sleeping. you can/prob will have to sleep train - using whatever works for your lo - just try keeping lo in the crib - use shhing or patting or putting a hand on lo - or any combo or anything that works for you. it will take time but will be worthwhile in the end.

your lo is only 'needing' approx four day feeds at this time - you may want to check out the EASY board for some sample routines - at this age a lo should be on a four hr routine as their bellies can sustain longer periods without a feeding and this will prob help with night wakings/ night feedings also.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005