Author Topic: night waking b/w feedings- 8 wk old  (Read 871 times)

Offline radical1971

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 06, 2006, 17:36:18 pm »
Need help figuring out a night waking situation with my 8 wk old son.  My night routine is:   7 pm feed and go to bed, df at 11, wake b.w 2-3 am for feed and back to sleep.  After this sleep, he has for the past 2 nights,  woken up 2 hours after the feeding and then 1 hour after that.  I have eliminated hunger, I think he's waking up for soothing.  I do not want to use the pacifier because since he does not know how to hold it well in his mouth, as soon as it pops out he wakes up.  Should I just go in at these wake up times and soothe him back to sleep, which I have done in the last 2 night?   However I woudl like to find a way of eliminating these wake ups so that we all get a better strech of sleep.  I woudl love to get some advise on how to get my son to sleep through to the morning.  His usual morning feed is at 6:30 - 7 am.

Offline tryinghard

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 01:22:56 am »
Are u feeding ds every 3 hours in the day? Are u breast feeding or bottle? I think the first thing u need to work out is why he is waking. If he is waking from hunger and u r breast feeding- r u producing enough milk? Have u tried feeding more in day ie. both sides or increasing formula. How much milk does he take at 2-3am? It would be better to eliminate this feed first even if it means feeding at 5 then again at 7- then as his stomach gets bigger the 5am feeding will extend to the morning.  How much is he taking at the DF? Do u feed at night in the dark- with no stimulation ie. talking, smiling etc? I'll wait for ur reply to see if I can pick up on anything else, but remember the more he eats in the day the less he will need at night. If he is indeed waking for soothing, then that's wot u'll have to do until he learns to do for himself- he is still so new!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: night waking b/w feedings- 8 wk old
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 18:33:05 pm »
At 8 weeks it's very normal to have several night wakings. Not fun I know but it's the nature of the beast. Have you tried pat/shhh to soothe him back to sleep? At 8 weeks he hasn't learned to self-soothe yet so he needs your help.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Lizziebeth

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 20:38:17 pm »
It could be a growth spurt if it just happens for 2-3 days?