Author Topic: Really strugling with awake times  (Read 919 times)

Offline spurielle

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 06, 2006, 19:38:14 pm »
Looks as if no one has been here for a bit.  I am looking for help.  Have been on other areas and getting some good advice but most of my problem is to do with naps.  Here is our EASY routine

7am wake
E 730 eat
A until 830-845
S 900-1015

A 1015-1130
E 1130
A until 1145
S 12-1230

A 1230-200
S 2-230
A 230-330
E 330

A until 415
S 430 - 5
A 5-6

Bath, eat 6-630
bed 630

Really strugling with awake times, only seems to manage 1 and a half hours then needs winding down in bed room or gets so over tired will not sleep and becomes histerical.  As the day goes on sometimes the our and a half is shorter as he hasn't had long naps.  Some days i am so exhausted with shh pat etc that we just go out and he'll have his half hour in pram or on the move.
Eats and plays really well.  not sure what personality type he is according to profiles but if it were not due to naps i would have a perfect child.  He is lovely when awake (not tired) smiley etc.  Sleeps through the nite have only ever done dream feed twice and within a week he pushed the clock and hasn't woken in night for 3-4 weeks.  Only started following EASY for 6-7 weeks.  Eats well, total 30-32 oz a day with 2-3 oz of water a day.  Weighs 19lbs 6oz.

Just really need help with awake time and transistion to nap time.  I dread putting him to bed for naps all day. 

Desperate    :'( :'(
Cari

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Really strugling with awake times
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 14:48:52 pm »
Cari
How old is your Lo?
Lauren x

Offline wistful

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 17:59:36 pm »
Hey- I'm not really qualified to give much help, but here is my suggestion anyway.  It seems to me that your baby is a bit confused.  Your EASY is not in order, except for the first thing in the morning.  I am guessing baby goes :)down for first nap relatively easily compared to the rest of the day?!  Since you're feeding every 4 hrs. and baby is 19 lbs., I'm assuming he's is at least 6 mo. old, so he should prob. be awake at least 2-3 hrs. at a time by now.  Anyway, my suggestion is that you try to follow the order of EASY for a bit instead of getting the eating every 4 hrs. down.  That way, baby will know that he wakes up, eats, plays, winds down, and then naps.  His order is messed up, so he may think he's supposed to be awake (like @ 11:45 am after he's eaten) and is sort-of rebelling because he feels he hasn't been awake long enough after eating to sleep.  Well, hopefully I'm making sense.  You may have to go backwards a bit and feed him a little more oftern for awhile, until the routine is down and naptimes are established.  A baby needs to at least sleep for 45 minutes at a time, one complete sleep cycle- preferably an hour and a half.  Sometimes you have to work to get them to take longer naps, but it's worth it!!!!   Here is my schedule for my 7 month old:

9am- wake up
E  9:30
A  9:oo - 11:30
S 11:30 or 45 - 1:30
Y during above nap, of course

E 1:45
A 1:30- 4:00 or 4:30
S 4:30 or 5  - about 6
Y during above nap, of course

E 6 pm
A 6-9
* then he eats again at about 8:45- 9pm
S 9 or 9:30 pm
Y the rest of the night

This is typical, if we're at home.  If not, he will sometimes take shorter naps and then have 3 during the day, and he'll often eat more.  Sometimes he gets a snack when we're eating dinner.  I think establishing a routine is hard, because if baby doesn't sleep long, you never know if you should feed them when they wake up, or keep you feeding schedule.  I now try to do both, but I never feed him right before a nap- the only time he eats before sleep is bedtime.  Well, hopefully this will help.  I'm sure you'll get better help from the moderator, but I had to try too!!!!!!
Good Luck!!!