Author Topic: 13 month old-trying to change wake time  (Read 1199 times)

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
13 month old-trying to change wake time
« on: July 07, 2006, 15:12:03 pm »
Hi all,

We are actually on a great routine and have been for a few months.  Now, I am probably getting too big for my britches and trying to change things.  Here is our current routine.  DS is 13 months old.

6:00AM-Wake
7:00AM-Breakfast
9:15AM-Nap #1 (1 1/2-2 hours)
Noon-Lunch
1:30-Nap #2 (1 1/2-2 hours)
4:00PM-Snack
6:00PM-Dinner
7:30PM-Bath Time
8:00PM-Bottle and Bed till next morning

Here is my "dilemma".....I would LOVE for him to sleep in till 7AM maybe even 8AM consistently if possible!!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Do you think if I try to adjust his nap schedule (push AM nap later) (limit nap lengths) that it will make a difference?  For the past few mornings, I have pushed his AM nap to 10AM but so far it has not helped the morning wake time.  I have yet to limit his nap times even when he sleeps over 2 hours at a time because I am so grateful that he is napping so long.  (Took us months to get to this point)

He goes down very easily for naps and has given me no indication that he want to drop to 1 nap.

Should I just accept that he wakes early and not mess up a good thing?  :-\ :-\

We don't want to push his bedtime any later.....

Any thoughts would be great. 

TIA

Judy

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 13 month old-trying to change wake time
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 15:13:38 pm »
have you tried wake to sleep to extend his morning?
Lauren x

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 18:19:26 pm »
Not yet, because I am so nervous that I will wake him completely up.  We always hear him stir for a bit around 5am and then go back to sleep till 6.  Would I do it before 5AM or right before 6?

I never used Wake To Sleep to extend his naps because he is so spirited.
Judy

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 05:23:13 am »
Judy
Liam is 13months & your ds has about 1-2 hours more day sleep than Liam... our routine is below. I tried to get him to 1 nap (due to early waking), but it wasn't working (due to activities with a toddler) this is what I ended up with & is working pretty well about 5/7 days (teething/cold excepted)

If he can last from 3pm to 8pm in the evening he should be able to go longer in the am & I think he has made his first nap a catch up from his night sleep & looking at the amount of sleep he has it is about 10 overnight & 3-4 in the day so total 13-14 hours... given normal for age is about 13.5-13.75, I think the only way you can get more night sleep is to cut back on day sleep. I'd delay his first nap to 9.30 & keep it at an hour for a week or so & then 9.45 (45mins) then 10.00 (30mins), just so that he doesn't get over tired.
I had a similar problem with my ds1 & it took a couple of weeks to get the later sleep when I changed his routine.

6.45/7.15 wake (& bf)
7.30 Breakfast
9.30/10am catnap... max 30mins (20 if woke after 7am)
12.30 Lunch
1/1.30pm Nap 1.5-2 hours
3pm ish snack
5.30 Dinner
6.30/45pm Bath
7.15/7.30pm Bf, story & bed
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 21:32:40 pm »
Thanks Kate!!!

Do you think it matters "when" he gets his sleep?  What I mean is, is it better for him to sleep 11 hours at night and less in the day, or 10 hours at night and 3-4 in the day?

I know I am totally over analyzing!!!  Just curious what yours or anyone else's thoughts are.

Funny how once things fall into place,  you know have time to analyze everything.  Instead, I should be analyzing the cleaning schedule or lack there of around   my household.   :-[ :-[ :-[
Judy

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 04:10:25 am »
I think it is what works for you... with my 3yo (well will be in a few weeks) he still naps 1.5-2 hours per day, but goes to bed close to 9pm (wake up about 7am) most of the 3yo we associate with don't nap anymore... but go to bed at 7/7.30pm... we like it the way we have it so we do it that way.
If you'd rather he slept later then try to change (may take a while & maybe not even work), I know we had Aiden on 2 naps until 21 months as it worked & being preg with Liam I didn't really want to try changes  ;)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05