Author Topic: Need ideas on how to avoid overstimulations with 6 mo  (Read 1186 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Need ideas on how to avoid overstimulations with 6 mo
« on: July 07, 2006, 17:46:01 pm »
We've been having a devil of a time since my LO hit 5 months with nighttime sleep. I'll get it under control, and then we'll have a couple bad nights. Before 5 months, he just went to bed easily and slept through the night from 12 weeks on!

I suddenly realized yesterday that I had stopped worrying about overstimulating him. When he was a wee one (<3 months), that was my mantra: DO NOT OVERSTIMULATE! I was so careful to really limit time in the gym, and to give him lots of quiet time just staring out the window or laying in his crib. However, as he's become more active (and more fun!  ;D) I stopped worrying about that! I'm now thinking that overstimulation may be causing some of our nighttime drama.

My LO is very cautious about new situations. He gets super serious and often begins to cry when confronted with a new place/new people. Yet, I KNOW I need to introduce him to new things! So, here's my questions:

1) How do you avoid overstimulation but still introduce them to new places/people? Is there a better time of day to do new things if your LO is a bit touchy when it comes to these things?

2) How much of the lights/music toys is too much at this age? We've been using those kind of toys a lot lately, and I'm wondering if that is overstimulating him!

3) Is there a way to tell they are becoming overstimulated before it's too late?

Thank you so much! I was looking at the calendar where I mark the new things that he does, and realized that right around whne we started having sleep disturbances was when that calendar started becoming PACKED with notations! I think there's probably a relationship between the 2!  ::)
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

andibig

Re: Need ideas on how to avoid overstimulations with 6 mo
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 18:35:32 pm »
not syre if i can offer any advice but....in reagards to introducing him to new situations etc make sure its somewhere you feel comfortable as well as will pick up on this. its about this time (i think) sep anx kicks in which could be a factor with night wakings. when DD was that age i was careful when introducing her to new people. i made sure i never left her unless me or DH was there (if we went to parents etc) and at baby groups  i would be close by so she had the security of me .

in reagrds to right time of day -well i suppose if you know his getting tired or near to his feeding time then probably not those timesLOL
HTH

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Need ideas on how to avoid overstimulations with 6 mo
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 20:41:23 pm »
We always do better with more stimulating activities early in the day.  My DD has always had more of a problem becoming overstimulated later in the day, so if we have something exciting to do, it's best to do it earlier.  As for the lights/music we've got tons of those toys, but usually I'll only turn one on at a time -- DH has been known to turn several on at once....I think that I get overstimulated then LOL. 

Oh, I wish I knew how to tell early on if they're becoming overstimulated -- seems like I can never tell until total meltdown mode!