Author Topic: teething and rountine  (Read 974 times)

Offline angie mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 09, 2006, 00:10:00 am »
HI, I am new here, My daughter is 61/2 months old. Textbook baby with some touchy tendencies. She is also teething... and we have just started the EASY routine. Today is day 3 in following it. She has been miserable most of the day, and was up every 2 hours last night. I did p/u p/d as in the book. Previously I would have held her or nursed her. My husband goes between let her cry or bring her to bed with us. I am really not in favor of that idea, either way. We previously had no routine, did alot of accidental parenting. How strict should I follow the routine with teething... 1st teeth? I am worried about reducing her feeds to 5x a day during the periods of observation she was nursing 8-9x a day. She also gets solid food 2x a day breakfast and supper. I work 2 nights a week 3p-11p so we had started with dinner with advice with peds due to trouble accepting the bottle. Due to her eating solids which are fairly well established, I have not given her a dream feed. Is that ok??? I don't mind if she gets up once a night. How do I increase the length of time of daytime feeds??? My sleep question has to do with the 3rd nap. She has been napping 1.5-2 hours 2x a day since starting the easy routine. But still seems tired at 4p, should I let her take another short nap?? Do I do p/u p/d again??? since this is going to be a shorter nap. WE have done several accidental parenting things... feeding on demand, falling asleep at the breast, holding and patting back until asleep and carefully putting in crib. My husband would bring in our bed when I was working to get her to go to sleep. I assume that I am supposed to be exhausted after the first few days. Also since the teeth I guess it will take longer to see results in nighttime sleep. Am I on the right track??? Anything else I should do??? Sorry to ramble I am exhausted.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: teething and rountine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:48:50 am »
Sorry this post has been missed.

Quote (selected)
How strict should I follow the routine with teething

Go with the flow, try to make her as comfortable as possible during teething.

Quote (selected)
I have not given her a dream feed. Is that ok???

This is okay.  Doing a dream feed ensures they have enough calories to help them through to the next morning.  If you are okay with getting up once a night to feed.

Quote (selected)
How do I increase the length of time of daytime feeds???

How long is she going between feeds.  At this age she should go 4hrs between feeds.

Quote (selected)
My sleep question has to do with the 3rd nap. She has been napping 1.5-2 hours 2x a day since starting the easy routine. But still seems tired at 4p, should I let her take another short nap??

Yes you should let her sleep at about 4pm for about 45 mins, if she wants it, just to get her through to her bedtime.

Could you post your routine please.

Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline angie mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:41:34 am »
Sorry I haven't replied, My computer has had some trouble. Thanks for replying. My rountine is...
630a-7a Wake up, nurse for 20mins.
720a-8a play
8a Solids for breakfast.
815a play, get dressed
830a wind down for am nap
845-1030a morning nap typically at least 1.5hr or 2.
1115a nurse, doesn't like to eat typically right after am nap needs to wake up, diaper change ect.
1145-1230/130p play, usually out doing errands
1p/130p Lunch nurse for 15 mins only haven't introduced solids at this meal yet.
130p-2p wind down for pm nap
2p-330p Pm nap
330p nurse very brief though maybe just 10mins
345p-5p play, if really crabby then in for another short nap about 45mins, if weather is cooperative walk outside
Dinner at 5p or 6p depending on if takes catnap
620p play, bath, Daddy time
645p last nursing for the day. then bedtime rountine, stories (2), prayers , quiet music in her room.
715p to bed usually asleep by 730p
Does wake up sometimes anytime between 2am and 4am since is kind of sporatic and seems starving I nurse her. It is never the same time.

I have been reluctant to start lunch because the doctor wants her to nurse 5x a day... and this would only give her 4 x a day. The last few days has taken the 3rd nap. Also has been getting up at 6a. Still only up once at night.

If you have any suggestions on the rountine let me know.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: teething and rountine
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 08:48:47 am »
Your routine looks pretty good to me. Maybe I would change the am nap more towards 9am.  At 6 months they go through a major growth spurt so I would continue to feed her at night.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel