Author Topic: milk intake  (Read 1587 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
milk intake
« on: July 09, 2006, 14:36:55 pm »
Hi guys!
Quick question, how much milk should an almost 9mo be having? hes now on 3 meals a day and still has a night bottle!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
Re: milk intake
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 14:49:30 pm »
If I remember correctly, I believe my ds was on 24 oz of formula at 9 months.  2 8oz bottles, morning and night and 2 4 oz bottles during the day.

HTH :)
Judy

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 14:51:03 pm »
ahh so still 4 bottles? i was worried 4 bottles was too much at this age?
thats what DS is on pretty much

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 14:54:44 pm »
At 9 months, he was still on 4 bottles.  Then each month, I would drop a bottle so that b1 12 months he was and is on 1 bottle at night time.   He is 13 months now.

I think the morning and night time bottles are the hardest.  That is why I am dreading when we have to cut the night time bottle, which should be pretty soon.   :o :o :o
Judy

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 14:59:39 pm »
yikes! thanx, spent so long trying to get him to take a  bottle in the first place, I think I'm happy for him to have a bottle till he's 18 (yrs old) LOL

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 00:59:06 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Judy

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 19:08:44 pm »
Yaya

Here is the UK guideline;

How much milk?

As your baby’s intake of other foods increases, he’s likely to need less milk. If you are breastfeeding, you can continue for as long as you and your baby want to. Your baby will naturally regulate his own intake.

When you do decide to cut down on breastfeeds, offer a drink in a cup at a time you’d normally expect your baby to want the breast. There is no point in trying to introduce the different sucking action of a bottle to a baby who’s over six months. Even if he is already accustomed to bottles, it’s still a good time to begin using a cup.

If your baby is still very keen on bottle feeds, you may have to take the initiative in dropping some of his formula intake - it’s easy for older bottle fed babies to fill up on milk, which may not leave much room for other foods. Decrease the amount of milk in each bottle so his intake over the day is less, and offer a cup instead of a bottle at some feeds.

By the end of the first year, the recommended amount of milk is 600 ml a day (about a pint) - and that includes milk from other sources such as custards and yoghurt. More than this isn’t necessary, and some healthy babies take a lot less just because they don’t like it. A breastfed baby can feed as often as he wants to, but if he is only feeding once or twice, it’s sensible to make sure he has extra milk in a cup or in other foods.

At 9.5 months  Calum takes between 20 - 26oz of milk alone per day + whatever he gets from yogurt, cheese...........

Hth's
Lauren x

Offline yaya

• BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:00:23 am »
thanx lauren!
 Thomas gets between 500ml and 700ml (sometimes 800ml) per day,  so I guess thats about right? he doesnt get milk form any other sources as he's lactose intollerant! so happythat things are better!
How r u guys?

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:44:43 am »
Feeding and eating strike (of sorts) here due to teething.  ::)  Otherwise fine, can't believe he is 10 months already!!
Lauren x