Author Topic: Any Activities that won't overstimulate please  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Molsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Any Activities that won't overstimulate please
« on: July 11, 2006, 07:08:18 am »
Hi, my LO (nearly 9 weeks old) is not brilliant at taking naps and goes down screaming or not at all.  Along with not catching her before she's tired I wondered if she's overstimulated.  Does anyone have ideas for things I can do with her that will leave her nice and calm and ready to sleep.  She loves her play gym but could that be too much?
I have made black and white activity cards and I read to her and sing (badly) to her.  She loves watching the images on TV so I have ordered Baby Einstein DVDs for her.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Any Activities that won't overstimulate please
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 04:11:23 am »
a good low stim activity at that age is people and nature watching - so either in a stroller or just sitting on your lap looking at birds, trees, people going about their business... it is all interesting to babies and a learning experience but low stim in that it is up to them what they choose to look at, they are sitting so not as tiring as tummy time...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 14:40:31 pm »
Hi, been meaning to answer your post, but the server wouldn't let me the other day.  You might find at this age that TV is a bit too stimulating for your LO.  We love the Baby Einstein videos, but I didn't have my LO watch them until around a year (though I do know that some people start early).  It's probably just the lights or the music that she's drawn to right now.  You could try playing music for her, also as Deb mentioned just looking out the window or at stuff outside is great for LOs of that age.  She'll probably also be content to just sit in a baby seat and watch what you're doing.  Also, if you have an activity mat where you can remove some of the toys that would be a good activitiy right now too.  Katie had one with a whole bunch of toys, but when she was really small, I took about half of them off and just let her look at the ones that were left.

Offline Molsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:21:06 am »
Thanks for your suggestions.  I have a balcony and Mol loves being on there and looking around.  The baby Einstein DVDs will be packed away for another day!! She is sleeping much better now so hopefully all will be well.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 15:07:33 pm »
Glad to hear it :)
I had loads of trouble with naps and overstimulation in the beginning and found they resolved nicely as she got older.

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 05:29:12 am »
I know this is days later but, if you don't count the days that the server was down, my reply is just a few days old! ;)

Another thing I did and am also currently doing is "introducing" them to their home. I'll walk around the house and talk to her, telling her about the different rooms that she's in and letting her see it in the process. Her eyesight is still developing but it couldn't hurt.

HTH
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna