Author Topic: Early Wake Time for 13 month old  (Read 6233 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Early Wake Time for 13 month old
« on: July 11, 2006, 14:30:06 pm »
Hello fellow BWs...

I am having a time with my 13 month old and his early wakings.  Let me give you some background...

When he was 5 months old we did PU/PD and got to the point where he would fall asleep by himself.  At about 7 months he got an ear infection and had them consistently until he got tubes 1 month ago.  So for 5 months we were rocking him and holding him trying to ease his pain.  During these months he did not sleep well at night and would wake up at about 5AM each morning.  Since we got us and him in the habit, we still rock him to sleep at night and for naps and he still wakes at 5AM (and he's tired when he wakes)---and now that his molars are coming in he's up a bit in the night. 

I want to help him sleep later so that we can drop the morning nap, have a good afternoon nap, and a good night's sleep.  I've tried keeping him up until 9 or 9:30AM and limiting his nap in the A.M.  And just this morning I did wake to sleep at 4AM.  He did sleep until 5:45 (which RARELY happens!)  Any other advice?  We're SO exhausted and I've just learned that I'm pregnant!  I've got to get a good night's sleep...and I want my DS to be well rested, too. 

I would sure appreciate some advice!
TIA!

Here is his routine:

5AM. Wake and lay in bed with mom and dad until 6AM.
6AM. Play
7AM Breakfast
8:30, 9, or 9:30AM Nap (1 hour if DS didn't sleep well night before, or 30 minutes if he slept through)
11:30 Lunch
1 or 1:30 Nap for 1.5 or 2 hours
7or 7:30PM Bed

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Early Wake Time for 13 month old
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 17:52:08 pm »
Beth,

First off, congratulations on expecting baby no2.!! i know it might seem overwhelming given the current circumstances but it sure is a blessing!!!!!!!!!!

Now, about Asher i have many thoughts about this, by looking at the info you provide.

I will start with the nap. Since he's already taking a short morning nap, we can work on cutting it till eventually disappears and encourage the evening nap to be a bit earlier in the day and to last for longer. To achieve that, I'd suggest to try nap1 at 830-900 and make it short, more like a catnap that helps Asher to get through his "real" nap without being overtired. You can even try this nap to happen in a different place than his crib/bed so he won't associate short sleep with the place he actually MUST sleep for long periods. So nap 1 can either be at the car (running errands), stroller, the couch or even your bed watching cartoons. Sometimes this kind of naps end up being quiet and relaxing time.

Then, and depending his waking time in the day and how long the catnap was, try nap2 (or the real nap) to be around 1245 or 115. Not later than that cause we don't want Asher waking after 330 pm and hence having a late bedtime. Bedtime should be no later than 730 and on days he wakes extra early, have an early bedtime to compensate for the lost sleep.

Having the schedule business organized, we can tackle the going to sleep. I don't know about Asher's temperament so you might want to check Sarah's post on the Faq's section at the top of this forum to read through the Teaching Independent Sleep thread and choose the method you think will suit you and Asher best. After you pick one, stick to it no matter how hard it seems the first few nights. You have to pick a starting day when you're not particularly tired or stressed out cause tears are to be expected. IT's gonna be hard but totally worth it!!! give the method a go for a week before you make any adjustments to it, to see the whole picture and realize what needs to be changed. If Asher asks to be rocked, try some patting in the back/forehead instead. The goal is to keep him in his crib and to help him learn how to soothe himself in there insted of being picked up.

By doing this, I think you'll be providing plenty of oportunities for him to sleep and to catch up on lost sleep. That should be enough to make morning wakings a little bit later, but we never know. Remember you have to be as consistant with the new ways as you've been with the old accidental ones to really make sleep training work. Be sure to get started when Asher's not ill or feeling poorly. Check with your pediatrician about pain medicines before bed to help him cope with the molar pain, cause it sure is another input on the poor sleep mix, and it's an ugly one.

Keep us posted and updated!!!!! we'll be here for you!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:33:07 am »
HI Florencia-

Thanks for all of the great advice!  I wanted to post back to you sooner but for some reason I have been unable to log on for several days!  I was having withdrawals from this site!
So...we have made a little bit of progress and I'm hoping that you can guide me some more.
I started keeping Asher up until 9:45 or 10AM and then go in the car and let him sleep 30 minutes.  Then he's down for his afternoon nap around 1 or 1:30 for 1.5 or 2 hours.  Then bed at 7:30 and after a few mornings of keeping him up for naps and WTS he's finallys sleeping until 5:45 AM. 
NOW...we've also started PD which has gone REALLY well except for one instance last night--PD here and there from 2:30AM until 4:15AM.

Anything I could be doing to help Asher sleep until 7AM?  He seems to regularly do 10 hours at night----not usually much more.  Should I extend his bedtime until 8PM?  I've done this in the past and it didn't seem to help him sleep later...but maybe give it another go??

Thanks for all of your support.....I appreciate it!

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 18:52:53 pm »
Oh how i love it when i log in and there's good news to read!!!!!!!! It sounds like an AWESOME progress for you guys!

I have found that some kiddos are 10-hour guys no matter what mommy tries. Mine is a 10.5 hour one, but was a 10 for quite a while. Just keep consistant with the timings and methods and he might stretch the hours once he's used to go down without much fuss and catches up on lost sleep. I wouldn't suggest a later bedtime. In fact it just backfires and gets you to overtiredness, and even earlier mornings.

Keep up the good job and keep us posted cause your story can help out so many moms!!!!!!1 congratulations again!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 19:05:22 pm »
I agree with Florencia that some babies are fine sleeping 10-10.5 hours at night.  For about 5 months now my 13 months old was sleeping between 10-10.5 hours each night, waking up happy, however too early for my taste  (6:00AM).  He was napping great, usually 1.5-2 hours in the AM and the same in the afternoon with an 8PM bedtime.

Well to make a long story short, I tried to change his morning wake time to a little bit later by rearranging his naps, pushing one nap later but shorter etc. and now all is a mess.  He STILL wakes up between 6-6:30AM and now naps for only about 2-2 1/2 hours during the day.  I know to some mothers, this is great but I really enjoyed him napping up to 4 hours some days!!! (GAVE ME MORE TIME TO VISIT THIS SITE...LOL ;D ;D ;D)

Anyways, I know I am not much help but what I am trying to say is that some babies have their own "clocks" and daily rhythms.  We can adjust them to a certain point but not always to the exact "ROUTINE" that we want.

Gotta go try and fix what I messed up!!!  :-\ :-\ :-\

Good luck to you. ;)
Judy

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 13:55:38 pm »
This may not help much on a practical basis but I think some lo's, including mine start shortening their night sleep before getting ready to transition to one nap--it just seems to be an "intermediate" stage for some of them where they still really need 2 naps but because they are taking 2 they have less sleep at night.  so at this stage you may not be able to lengthen the night sleep  too much more to 7 am althoug he might start to do that once he is established on one nap.

Good idea to push the time of the am nap back.  In one of the sleep books there was  a case study exactly like yours and the recommendation was to push the am nap back since the early nap was just reinforcing the early wakeup.