Author Topic: 6 month old has started to wake at night screaming help  (Read 664 times)

Offline bltglark

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old has started to wake at night screaming help
« on: July 11, 2006, 17:33:51 pm »
my son is 6 months old and we are having problems with sleeping at night.  basically all of the problems started 2 weeks ago after the sleep routine was disrupted by his first teeth coming through, until then he only ever cried to tell me something like he was hungry which was never for very long as i usually worked out what it was quickly. he wakes in the evening once or twice then  at 12am, then at 4 am.  he starts of with grumpy crying then it moves on to screaming.  he then needs to be carried around the room to calm down and then falls asleep on me it is then very difficult to get him to return to his cot with out going back to the screaming. i have tried feeding, he has taken the milk for comfort and then thrown it back up.  i have tried a dummy but this makes him more upset.  at first i tried shushing him with my hand on his tummy so he knew i was there but he just screamed. i have tried putting him down awake to make sure he can put himself to sleep,  which works when he goes to sleep at the beginning of the night but not when he wakes.  it can take between 30 Min's and an hour and a half to get him to sleep.

his daily routine is up at about 7am. he has 3 naps 9.30, 12.30, 3.30 he has about 40 Min's on each sometimes more sometimes less.  i have been putting him in his cot for the naps but hes normally nearly asleep when i do it.  if we are out the nap may be in the car or pram. the bedtime routine is bath, teeth brush, massage, bottle, book, bed. it starts at 6.30.

he is bottle fed and has about 230mls 4 times a day.  we started weaning at 5 months under the advise of our health visitor he now has 3 solid feeds (again this was advised by the health visitor as he was wanting more so much milk) of root veg or fruit about 4 ice cubes each.

i feel that the problem may be hes not getting enough sleep?  he is also learning alot at the moment,  he can now roll and crawl backwards so this maybe disrupting his sleep.  help!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: 6 month old has started to wake at night screaming help
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 18:51:43 pm »
6 months is a tough time for sleep, like you said, due to all the developmental things that start up. I can guarantee that the crawling and rolling are contributing for sure. The best way to deal with the developmental issues is to give him TONS of time to practice during the day. If he wants to do nothing else, go with it. That way he will master the skills sooner and satisfy the urges to practice. At least hopefully! He may still wake at night, but hopefully you can at least reduce the number of times.

Does your LO have reflux?

Also, could you post your full routine? It would be easier to tell if he's overtired with that.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o