Author Topic: 17 mths - Doomed to Cauliflower, Crackers, and Bananas Forever?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
DS was generally a good eater but has been going downhill since about 13 months old.  He's been turning his nose up at his long time favorites, and I haven't been able to get him to eat hardly any meat or cheese for the last month.  He used to LOVE sliced cheddar and lunch meat.  I can sometimes get him to eat quesadillas with cheese and meat in it, but that's about it these days besides the occasional hot dog, spaghetti, and lasagna.

To make matters worse, my ped thinks his food texture aversion has to do with his speech delay and wants me to really try to get him to eat better varieties and food mixtures/meals.  We are getting no where fast.

So I guess this is more of a vent and need for sympathy.  I understand that you need to expose them 10-15 times to a new food, but it's SO much harder now that he's a toddler.  I feel like I'm making two meals every night and wasting so much food!  It was easy when it was just a single ingredient when he was a baby -- broccoli.  Doesn't like it?  Put it in the fridge and try again tommorrow (and the next and the next).  But sandwiches and dinners with multiple ingredients don't keep as long or reheat as well.  ::)  And most time he won't even taste the food!  He touches it to his lip and says "sssssss."  Or sticks out his tongue for a tiny lick, and "sssssss."  >:(  Some things I know he'd LOVE if I could actually get him to take a bite!

And when he doesn't eat the first meal, do I just go ahead and give him something I know he'll eat (hence the title of this post)?  Or am I just teaching him to hold out for the good stuff?
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 17 mths - Doomed to Cauliflower, Crackers, and Bananas Forever?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 21:14:55 pm »
What I did with Ewan once he was that age was to offer him what we were eating.  I always made sure that there was at least one thing that he liked.  Then if he decided not to eat I just said okay and let him get down.  Then he had to wait until the next snack or meal time.  This way we never battled over food and he had a choice and therefore some control. 

HTH

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 21:22:45 pm »
I agree about the not offering anything else until the next meal. I ahve had really foul feeding problems wiht my youngest but it has been important to let him be in control to an extent without letting him decide to only eat cake ::) :)

The thing is you have to be prepared to have them shout at you becuase they are hungry for a short while. especially as they have a little understanding now, it has to be this or nothing at each meal. they do eventually get it. If they are hungry enough i am told they will give in and will not starve themselves. ( sometimes difficult to beleive!)

When i had DS1 i remember listening to a mum who was pulling her hair our over weaning her son and couldn't get him to eat any solids unless it was cake. I decided then and there that my children would not be offered things like that unless they had eaten a satisfactory amount of thier meal. No dinner no pudding.

Sounds though like there are at least some healthy things amoung your DS's favourites. Are you inventive? could you make something with cauliflower as the most obvious ingredient and sneak a few other things in without him noticing?? :-\

Good luck
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude:

Offline julieb

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 21:27:46 pm »
I've tried that sometimes, then he's asking for crackers within 30 minutes.  If I refuse, he has a meltdown.  So I should hold strong?  Occasionally I've saved his meal and offered him that again (which he usually refuses again).  Thanks for the ideas!  I just don't know what is realistic to expect a spirited child to understand at this age.  I'm trying to pick my battles, but I just don't know which to pick, KWIM?  Then I have this huge worry that he'll take a really short nap or wake super early in the morning because of hunger.  ::)  Guess, I just have to suck it up in order to drive the point home?
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 21:31:34 pm »
Its best to start out with it in the morning cause then by supper he will probably eat ;).  It is tough for sure cause you don't wnat to them to be hungry but on the other hand you don't want to be a short order cook.  Ultimately you need to decide what is acceptble to you.

{{{{HUGS}}}}