Author Topic: Bobbing baby!  (Read 1496 times)

Offline UNCMomma

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
Bobbing baby!
« on: July 12, 2006, 00:06:15 am »
So my 5 month old baby has always been a great nurser, and still is!  She just gets distracted... If there is ANYTHING going on around us while she's trying to eat, including noise, movement, TV, etc, she can not concentrate to nurse, and bobs on and off the boob!  She looks around, sometimes fusses, and does not eat well.  This was not the case for my first DD, she could nurse ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, with ANYTHING going on around her!  This DD is now 3, and as all you mothers of toddlers know, tears around the house like a tornado!  I have taught her that when I am feeding the baby, she needs to be quiet, but even a whisper from her and the baby is off the boob!  It is frustrating, to have to go to a dark, quiet place to nurse the kid several times a day!  Anyone have this experience, and/or any advice???

Thanks, Amanda

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Bobbing baby!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 00:16:56 am »
Amanda,
I hear you loud and clear (or maybe the loud is my 4 year old).  ;D  I completly understand where you are coming from.  My dd1 was an angel and could nurse anywhere anytime as well.  dd2 is touchy (becoming more textbook) and will pull off the breast at the slightest sound.  I know it is very hard to go sit in a dark quiet room, but sometimes that is best.  It sounds like you are doing the best with dd1... will she sit and read books while you nurse (in her own room) or listen to a CD or book on tape/cd?  I'm not normally a proponant of videos, but perhaps in this case a special video just while you are nursing?

As a side note about quiet places to nurse, even if dd2 hears her own voice (I was in a so called nurising station that felt more like a jail cell and dd2 heard her echo.... it was all over then and she nursed better sitting outside the so called nursing station) she is distracted.

Good luck to you and hang in there!

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 00:21:06 am »
That's hilarious, my LO is not yet distracted by her own voice but that challenge could be next!  :)  Yes, my 3 year old is very respectful and most times will play in another area of the house or watch a video while I feed the baby.  It's just that this ideal doesn't happen every time, and if I ever want to BF in public I can FORGET it!!  Who wants a bobbing baby to expose my boob for all to see!!??!  Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one, it is a little frustrating.   ::)

Amanda

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:00:33 am »
I know the "in public" also!  I try to cover with a blanket, but she just pulls it off.  I was feeding in the mall one day in a little lounge area.  I used the same place with dd1, but now there is a lottery ticket machine there.  Well, some guy came to buy a ticket and Jalyn HAD to see what was going on  ::)  She got back to business then...

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 01:27:08 am »
Cute  :)  (Although I 'm sure you didn't feel 'cute' at the time!  )
Amanda

Offline M2L

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Tee hee hee
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 00:18:11 am »
My DD (five months old next week) will sometimes do the same thing, usually during her 2 pm feeding.  She bobs off and looks at me and coos and smiles, etc., and then decides to go back on.  Other times she will bob off and look around, even if it is very quiet in the house and only she and I are home!  I used to be able to use a "privacy tent" with her as well, but now she rips it off as soon as I put it on.  I find that if I cradle her head and support my breast, she focuses more on the task at hand and I am able to get her settled enough so that she no longer bobs.

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 01:23:58 am »
.....I thought you might have been talking about my daughter!!  If I want her to consume any milk whatsoever...I have to feed her in the same place EVERY time (which is sitting in my bed).  If not...she will pop off my boob at the dog walking past us, the  t.v., my dh talking or even dh just walking into the room. Her newest (and kinda frustrating habit that she has)  is if I am not LOOKING at her...she pops off and won't continue eating until I am looking at her. Let me just say that it is a miracle that she has chunky thighs b/c I don't know how she gets much milk in her little body!!  FORGET feeding in public. Won't happen. Way too much going on for my little toot!!

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 02:00:43 am »
That's hilarious you say that, I've found that I have to keep my head relatively still and not move it around much for my LO to stay concentrated on the boob.  Ridiculous!  Also, we've all had colds this week and if I cough or even sniff too loud, she's off!  So I just have to hold my head still and let my nose run while we nurse.   ::)

Amanda

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 13:12:19 pm »
Amanda...

Here is a silly experiement while you are sick  ;D...you could always try stuffing your nose w/ tissue while nursing  ;). Silly...yes, but it would help the running nose and possibly help keep you lo still and concentrating while she nursing!   ;) ;) ;D.  I am pretty goofy and would be trying that I am sure!

Hope you feel better soon!

Shelby

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 13:19:55 pm »
That's a great and hilarious idea, I'll have to give it a try next time!  The things we do...  ;D
Amanda