Author Topic: Brushing Teeth - Help!  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Brushing Teeth - Help!
« on: June 23, 2006, 10:57:23 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this - here, health/medical, etc... Marisa HATES having her teeth brush - hates it even more than having her face washed in fact! She has her two bottom teeth and more coming. I've been using an over the finger brush every night and even tried to put on some of that Gerber apple/banana baby paste and I try to sing songs and make funny noises but she just freaks! Any ideas?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: Brushing Teeth - Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 17:39:27 pm »
My ds doesn't nec hate it but he prefers to bite the toothbrush than brush his teeth... so I'm in the same boat.  His pedi recommended putting the brush to the back teeth, the molars, and moving it forward from there.

Maybe your daughter is teething?  How long have you been trying to brush her teeth?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 18:32:52 pm »
I only started brushing her teeth abotu 1-2 weeks ago after she got her two bottom front teeth. She's definitely still teething more...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline KDawn

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 23:22:52 pm »
Hi I was wondering how old your lo is, because there are small toothbrushes available.  They are called angel brushes and they don't look like a normal brush.  They are made of rubber and are excellent for when babies are teething, they have a ton of tiny, tiny rubber bristles on all sides.  It massages their gums when there are no teeth, and then when they come in it is supposed tto clean all surfaces at once.  It is good because they can gnaw away at it without realizing they are brushing  their teeth!!  I got mine at a specialty baby store.  Plus they are small enough for tiny hands, only measure abround 5" long.  I have no idea if this would help w/ you situation but it is worth a shot. 

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 23:48:09 pm »
Hi I was wondering how old your lo is, because there are small toothbrushes available.  They are called angel brushes and they don't look like a normal brush.

I agree with you about this "toothbrush". I have something similar (got it at Babies R Us, I think) and I've been using this until now but he still bites it and I can't move it around in his mouth very much (he has 6 teeth - top 4 and bottom 2). Still, even without the baby toothpaste he likes sucking on the water so at least I get it into his mouth.   :)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 12:21:48 pm »
Thanks guys - I'll look for that brush. Would I still hold it and brush or would she? Cause I don't think she'll do it. Last night we couldn't even brush - she just flipped and clammed shut and cried...

Offline KDawn

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 18:50:19 pm »
Hi there, the brush I'm talking about is meant to be chewed on by the baby.  As they chew, it brushes their teeth. I think I remember the pkg saying it cleans all sides at once.    You don't actually move it back and forth.  It was invented by a dentist, so hopefully he knew what he was making!  I know when Keira grabs on to it, she happily bites away.  Now, if she ever gets teeth (or hair for that matter), she can hopefully continue using the brush.  She doesn't like my fingers in her mouth!  Maybe once your lo got used to having something like that in her mouth, you could eventually move on to a real brush.  Good luck!

Offline evans and bethans mum

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 15:32:24 pm »
Hi i am having same prob with my son,
i asked my dentist for tips he said at the age he is it may be because his back teeth are comeing through and it is  a bit painfull, but he also said try sitting him on your lap facing away from you and brushing ,because if you are standing over them trying to brush their teeth or staring at them thats when they start refusing.I tryed it and it was alot easier he still fights it a bit .
I also got anouther tooth brush for him to hold i put toothpaste on it and he does brush and bite it and when he stops i brush his teeth with other one .

Offline twins_2005

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 00:47:19 am »
Hi!

Both my twins hate having their teeth brushed -- especially now that they're getting their molars. Both try to grab the brush away from me and either fling it away or use it in some other way. They definitely don't use it as they're supposed to! I just distract them. I do several things. Lately, I've been sitting on a ledge in front of the shower stall with one baby (facing outwards) on my lap. I let the baby open and close the shower stall door. :) They both LOVE this, and while they are happily playing with the door (with mommy saying "WOW, you opened the door. Oh my! You closed the door!"), I brush their teeth... molars and all.